Concealed or open carry

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Novus Collectus
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Concealed or open carry

Post by Novus Collectus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:26 am

Hi, I have been trying to search old threads before I asked this, but I ended up confused.
Is open or concealed carry of a handgun legal in India with a license with personal protection as the reason?

If so, is the license good country wide?

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Novus,

The only document needed is the arms license, there is no "separate" document/ permission required for concealed carry. The arms license will clearly mention the type(s) of firearms you are allowed to own/ carry as well as the "area of validity".

This area of validity is (by default) issued only for your home district, if you wish to carry your firearm state-wide you must give in a separate application for that stating clearly your "need" to have the area extended, along with supporting documents justifying that need.

A similar application would be required if you would like to get the area extended to cover multiple states, or "all India" (country wide).

In fact IMHO the only real use of becoming a member of the NRAI is that NRAI members can get their arms license area of validity extended to "all India" with relative ease. Otherwise the organisation does absolutely nothing in the way of promoting RKBA or fighting for the rights of gun owners! :evil: In all fairness they do conduct the annual national shooting competitions quite successfully (ISSF sports only), but the vast majority of gun owners are not interested in competing so they get little benefit out of their memberships...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

perazzi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Concealed or open carry

Post by perazzi » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:09 pm

I can say wth absolute certainity that membership of NRAI has no bearing on anything to do wth helping in getting an All India license.

Cheers Rohit.
Heart of a Lion , Memory of an Elephant

Novus Collectus
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Novus Collectus » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks for the information Mundaire. I find it interesting that it is easier to get a concealed carry license in India than it is to get one in my very own state in the US.
It is bizarre that I can drive 20 miles to the next state and carry a loaded handgun on the hip openly without a license/permit, but unless I am on the way to hunt, target shoot, gun repair, etc., if I step off my property with an unloaded handgun I am facing five years in jail in my own state.

I have another question, can resident aliens (like a US citizen living there for work) get an arms license?

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:45 am

Novus

Paperwork and red tape involved in India for a license is many times greater and challenging compared to securing a license in US or even in NYC where I am. Its hit or miss with limited recourse unless one is persistent. Unlike in US the cost of gun and ammo is high and its beyond common mans reach.

Best

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Concealed or open carry

Post by msandhu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:00 am

Even with some restriction, you can easily get a firearm, ammo and safe place to shoot in US while getting any of the three things in the worlds largest democracy is not just a big hassle but pretty expensive too..
Cheers
Mandeep

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:38 am

Novus Collectus";p="51424 wrote:Thanks for the information Mundaire. I find it interesting that it is easier to get a concealed carry license in India than it is to get one in my very own state in the US.
It is bizarre that I can drive 20 miles to the next state and carry a loaded handgun on the hip openly without a license/permit, but unless I am on the way to hunt, target shoot, gun repair, etc., if I step off my property with an unloaded handgun I am facing five years in jail in my own state.

I have another question, can resident aliens (like a US citizen living there for work) get an arms license?
Maybe I don't know all the gun laws in all the states... but now I am curious. Which state do you live in where you can't carry a gun at all?

Cheers,
Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Novus Collectus
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Novus Collectus » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:13 am

conty1";p="51594 wrote:
Novus Collectus";p="51424 wrote:Thanks for the information Mundaire. I find it interesting that it is easier to get a concealed carry license in India than it is to get one in my very own state in the US.

Maybe I don't know all the gun laws in all the states... but now I am curious. Which state do you live in where you can't carry a gun at all?

Cheers,
Amit
In Maryland. Population is about six million and 12,000 or so active permits are out there, but 98% are issued to corrections officers, security guards, private detectives, judges, bail bondsmen and others working in areas of government, security or the judicial system or people that have a business that deal with a lot of cash.
Only 1.7% (about 600) are issued for personal protection.
Of the security guard and business owners, the license is usually severely restricted to only apply when they are carrying or guarding cash.

Technically there is no prohibition on the open carry of loaded shotguns or rifles (and maybe antiques handguns) even when not hunting, but if one does it in most of the state they can guarantee to at least be arrested even if the charges will likely be quickly dropped.
Also, loaded shotguns and rifles in motor vehicles is illegal almost no matter what even with a handgun carry permit (hunting statute prohibits it).

Open and concealed carry of loaded handguns is allowed on private property one owns, leases or resides at. So at least at home we are allowed to defend ourselves.

My state is odd because in every surrounding state there is some form of open carry allowed. In Virginia, Pennsylvania and I think West Virginia one does not need a license for open carry of a handgun, and in Delaware, which a Marylander with a non-resident permit can carry concealed, open carry is allowed. One can pretty much go less than a hundred miles in any direction from any part of the state to a neighboring state and carry a handgun in public, usually without a license, but not in our own. It is bizzare.