old gun to be exported to US

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

old gun to be exported to US

Post by archer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:46 am

Hey guys,

A doctor friend of mine lives here in Los Angeles. His father owned a gun which has been in his family for the past 80 years or so. his father passed away last year, since then then gun has been deposited at a gun shop. he wants to get the gun to the US. he does not hold a valid indian lincence. he has been in th US for about 15 years and is a citizen now.
can he get the gun transferred to his name?
what would be the best possible way for him to get it to the US?
does he have to apply for an indian licence and then get it across with him.

thanx

regards
Parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shamsher
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Shamsher » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Dear Archer,
Export, it depends on gun.
Shotguns, cannot be exported
About rifles some have been banned recently.
But there are still loop holes & these are still being exported by some dealers.
I think you would have to contact a dealer in India who exports. Transfer the gun on to his dealers liscence. & he could export the same to the US.

I have no idea who exports but someone out here can help provide you with the information.

wish u luck on this
ss

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:02 pm

This is a new use case... everyone is looking at getting stuff into India.. and here we are discussing getting one out of India :)
Please keep up all updated on your procedures.. it will be benefiting:)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:04 pm

use case :lol:

Business Analyst lingo ;)
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:09 pm

Business Analyst subset - Usability and Human Factor Engineering lingo... to be precise... :-)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: old gun to be exported to US

Post by msandhu » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:42 pm

There might be another hurdle if you get clearence to export it from India. That is importing to US. Again its far more easier to import it through some FFL than personal or private import.
Cheers
mandeep

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:42 am

Archer, IIRC firearms of "current & popular bore" cannot be exported. This would mean firearms for which ammunition is either manufactured in India or is readily available in the market through dealer imports.

Also, firearms which are covered by the antiquities act cannot be exported.

The best option would be to contact a dealer who regularly exports firearms/ or has done so in the past and have him handle the paperwork for you in exchange for a mutually agreeable fee. The suggestion regarding consigning the firearm to a dealer in the US is a good one.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:42 am

Parag, keep us posted on how this goes. Maybe this could be a project for you and teach the rest of us. Maybe write a white paper on this use case ;)

Also, please post details about the gun itself, make, model, bore/caliber etc.

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:43 am

thanx guys.

my friend is flying down to india this week for a meeting. he is going to get the details of the gun. once i get it, i will post it.

thanx again.
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

Novus Collectus
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: old gun to be exported to US

Post by Novus Collectus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:57 am

msandhu";p="53445 wrote:There might be another hurdle if you get clearence to export it from India. That is importing to US. Again its far more easier to import it through some FFL than personal or private import.
Cheers
mandeep
Since it is over 80 years old it is classified as a Curio and Relic and as I understand it, the firearm does not have to meet the so called "sporting use test".
Only some government workers, military service members stationed overseas and FFLs can import a firearm. He needs either an FFL to import it in for him on a Form 6 Part 1, or he needs to be an FFL.....and this is the better idea.
Only an importer FFL can import for the purposes of profit as a main part of business, but any FFL can import for themselves and as I understand it, for someone else as long as they do not do it so often for another person so as to make it a substantial part of making a living.
An FFL will charge a transfer fee and this is why it is probably better just to get an FFL. A Curio and Relics (C&R) FFL costs $30 and lasts three years. Only C&R firearms can be imported with this license and his firearm qualifies as a C&R. It takes about one month from application to the time the license is recieved. Even if only used this once, it will have more than paid for itself because in some states a transfer fee at some dealers without dealing with importing into the country can be more than thirty dollars.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/2001index.htm

A little note, if the firearm was made before 1899, then no FFL or even permit from the government as I understand it is needed for import unless it is worth a lot of money maybe. (some state laws may be an issue though) However as someone mentioned, it may not be exportable from India if it is an antique (which I did not know about until reading this thread)