travel by train

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
doc_brar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

travel by train

Post by doc_brar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:11 pm

hi guys can i travel by train with my revolver ? i have a all india lisence do i need some kind of permission from railway authorities ?

For Advertising mail webmaster
jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: travel by train

Post by jaz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Dr brar,
Its 100% legal to travel by train with your handgun ,If you have all India Licence.My father always carry his pistol in Train.Carrying Licenced wepon for self defence is no objection.
Last year my father &mother visited shri hazur sahib he was with wepon in nanded express.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:23 pm

i think that one suppose to inform the railway authority, but i may be wrong in this but do remember same question being asked around a year back.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes; and so far there hasn't been a clear cut answer. Some say no need for railways permission, some say you need to inform them. The Arms branch in Mumbai told me there is no need for railways permission, so if you want to trust them then go ahead.
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:23 pm

sometimes its best to ask these question from the police i writing and getting a written response. this way it puts them in the spot and leaves you clear.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:55 pm

As far as I know (which is usually very little :) ), the Arms License with ALL INDIA area coverage grants you the permission to carry your firearm every where (ofcourse with exceptions and State/local restrictions).

With regard to transportation of Firearms:The carriage of firearms in the cabin of an aircraft supposedly poses "special" problems, as in the case of an accidental discharge, there could be depressurization or such and the endangering of the public. Therefore there are special rules in place to carry the licensed firearm in the check in baggage, after declaring to the Airline and getting approval to transport.

These sort of conditions in my opinion do not exist (as of now) in the case of the Railways. And no special requirement exists to inform anyone with regard to carriage of Licensed personal firearms on Railways. However, in certain Railway stations there has been frisking of baggage and metal detectors in place and it would be obvious that you will have to let the person frisking you know that you have a licensed firearm and the License.It would not be unreasonable to check with the Railway Police for clarification.

In the case of Malls or Movie theatres where metal detectors are in place (I can only speak of experience in Hyderabad and Chennai) I have had to either enter my name,contact and license number in their "Arms Licensee/Police Inspection register" or show them my license.

Regards,
Anand