As a US & Indian Citizen, can I bring my Glock 20 to India?

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
AmazingGuns
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

As a US & Indian Citizen, can I bring my Glock 20 to India?

Post by AmazingGuns » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:06 am

I am Over seas citizen of India(OCI) means I have citizenship of U.S and India both. Is there anyway I can keep my Glock 20 legal in India? Any other gun that I could buy from U.S with permit, that would also work in India. I use Glock to fire 10 MM rounds but I will lower the firepower if Indian government doesn't allow that much.

I can buy Glock 25 here in US as, 9MM+ firepower is not allowed.
▬EDIT▬

According to this thread by Abhijeet can I transfer my weapon to India, as I change the residence(TR RULE) from US to India? Guys please give me some good news here, I am dying to get my glock through.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2779

Thank you again.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: As a US & Indian Citizen, can I bring my Glock 20 to India?

Post by Sakobav » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:16 am

AmazingGuns

First please dont make multiple posts it places undue burden on the system and admin work. Secondly, its always advisable to transfer a gun to India for which its easy to procure ammo and it shouldnt belong to Prohibited Bores (PB).

Check the thread below this member has also bought a Glock. Maybe other members can better advise you. IMHO would swap with a .380 ACP. .32 or .22 for which ammo is available in India.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 3&start=15

Do post pictures of your gun(s)

Best

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:18 am

welcome

please make sure that you own the gun for at least one year.

make sure that you have a Indian license in place or have one after coming to India within the (3 months?) time period.

no 9mm in 9x19mm.(PB)

10mm as far as i know it is NPB can others confirm this either way?

Do let us know what happens next. all the best

-- Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 --

oh ya
India does not have duel citizenship under the Constitution. :D
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

AmazingGuns
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AmazingGuns » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:41 am

What do you mean India does not have dual citizenship? I have Indian(OCI) passport AND U.S passport. So, when I come to India, I don't need visa. I can hop in the airplane with a ticket of course haha.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:05 am

Amazingguns

OCI card gives certain rights and doesnt grant duel citizenship..nagarifles is correct :mrgreen:
"4. Please note that OCI is NOT Dual Citizenship. The Constitution of India does not permit the facility of holding Indian Citizenship simultaneously with a foreign citizenship. The OCI holder would therefore not be eligible for the following rights in India:

1. Right to vote;
2. Right to hold constitutional office (i.e. parliament, courts, cabinet posts, etc.); and
3. Right to hold posts in the government services sector. "

But an NRI can be issued a license in India others can clarify -- one of those legal vagaries

Best

AmazingGuns
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AmazingGuns » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:15 am

I do not know how much it is different for NRIs WITHOUT OCI card, but at least for me, I qualify to own firearm. We just can't participate in Government work...[Edited by Mod -- Remember this is an open forum, be careful about what you post, read the rules of the forum -- this board doesn't support circumventing legal rules . Consider yourself advised...]

By Donation, I REALLY MEANT GENUINE DONATION. Why do be always take it the other way?????????

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:56 am

one should read the wording oci is OVERSEA CITIZEN OF INDIA. its a over sea citizen and not an Indian citizen

its a big difference

http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/1955.pdf
Nagarifle

AmazingGuns
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AmazingGuns » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 am

The one that get OCI card should also know his rights before he applies for one. At least I knew what I was/am doing... :lol:

-- Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:03 am --

I don't know what different I said than you.. It is the DUAL citizenship...like Dual flying where you and your instructor fly an airplane. :)

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:13 am

YES but who is in charge, who has the last say, you or the instructor :D

duel is same as or equal to :D any difference is not duel :shock:
Nagarifle

BJL
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by BJL » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:37 am

I have an OCI as well. It is NOT dual. You have fewer rights than an Indian citizen. An NRI actually has more rights than an OCI- because an NRI is a non-resident INDIAN and still holds an Indian citizenship.

To bring a weapon to India, you must have
a) An arms license that has already been procured in India.
b) A weapon that has been owned by you for over a year in the US (with documented proof)
c) A transfer of residence from an Indian embassy in the US stating you will be officially transferring your residence to India.
d) Under that clause you can bring your weapon- provided it fits within the caliber restrictions. You can also bring only 50 rounds of ammo.
“To be both a speaker of words and a doer of deeds”- The Iliad.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 pm

BJL wrote: a) An arms license that has already been procured in India.
Procured... :shock: hopefully not implying purchasing over the counter :mrgreen:

Well AmazingGuns,

I'm glad here's some one whos trying to import something other than a webley&scott revolver.

Anyway as others shave outlined clearly enough -

You indeed can bring your firearm of choice into India provided you strictly adhere to the procedures laid down by the government, however you might want to view the status of your citizenship. You will also need a lot of patience - not only of the time variety but that of self respect - such is the Indian bureaucracy.

Bear in mind that you will have enormous difficulty in sourcing 10mm ammunition in India, and if at all, it will be at a fearsome premium per shot. The lack of logic in bureaucratic ratbaggery in India is stuff of legends...so banish any thought of reasoning with them. As suggested and as much as you abhor the idea, its most sensible to import a firearm for which ammunition is readily available. That wouldn't leave you much of a choice though. As far as handgun ammo goes you can choose from a rather pathetic list - .22LR, .25ACP, 7.62mmx25mm and its Mauser cousin, .32 ACP, .32S&W Short, .32S&WLong, and with some difficulty .380 & .357. You might come across occasional availability of other calibers but that about it, practically speaking.

Hope you are successful in getting one through, nevertheless.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

BJL
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by BJL » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:37 pm

cottage cheese wrote: Procured... :shock: hopefully not implying purchasing over the counter :mrgreen:
If only we could get them processed over 1 counter instead of running to 6542 different ones. :mrgreen:

An idea of purchasing (legally) wouldn't be that bad either.
Go in to the licensing authority- fill out the form, give your required passport photos, give the fee. They'll conduct a background check within 48 hours, you can come back to the office 2 days later and collect your license. Over and done with.
“To be both a speaker of words and a doer of deeds”- The Iliad.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:34 pm

BJL wrote:
cottage cheese wrote: Procured... :shock: hopefully not implying purchasing over the counter :mrgreen:
If only we could get them processed over 1 counter instead of running to 6542 different ones. :mrgreen:

An idea of purchasing (legally) wouldn't be that bad either.
Go in to the licensing authority- fill out the form, give your required passport photos, give the fee. They'll conduct a background check within 48 hours, you can come back to the office 2 days later and collect your license. Over and done with.
Actually that makes sense... will probably keep the Babus from believing they are doing us a favor...
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:22 pm

cottage cheese wrote:Go in to the licensing authority- fill out the form, give your required passport photos, give the fee. They'll conduct a background check within 48 hours, you can come back to the office 2 days later and collect your license. Over and done with.
Well it does happens in India if you have proper contacts . I got a license made for my bro in law within 3-4 days . The catch is that my cousin is DDPO ( District development and panchayati officer ) . His office is next to the dc office . But the big question is that for what reason do these people want to bring along their weapon from states . one needs to keep a weapon for their safety , but I feel that they do not face any threat perception rather these distinguished guests from states want to make a style statement . :!:

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Hello,
Whether a bore is "Prohibited" or "Non-Prohibited" is in fact decided by the Central Government NOT on the basis of the power of the ammunition or the size of the bore for that matter. It is based on whether the said firearm is capable of chambering and firing cartridges of certain calibers of firearms in use by the armed forces of India. For example: while .30-06 Rifle ammunition is more powerful than .303 Rifle service ammunition, the former is "Non-Prohibited" while the latter is "Prohibited".

Another example is that of the .357 Magnum cartridge which is "Non-Prohibited" while the less powerful .38-200/.38 S&W "service" ammunition is "Prohibited". I imagine it has all to do with trying to keep civilians from acquiring Arms that can chamber and fire "service" ammunition.

So the 10mm is a Non-Prohibited Bore, however, as mentioned you will have a female dog of-a-time trying to find ammo in India. It would be prudent to bring a firearm for which you will find ammunition relatively easily in India.
Regards,
Anand