Import of firearm by NRI and rules and procedure to do so??

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Import of firearm by NRI and rules and procedure to do so??

Post by captrakshitsharma » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi Folks,
My parents hold NRI status and my father would like to import a psitol/revolver. He holds a valid arms license with 7.63 broom handle c96 on it which i can transfer on my license. We would like to swap it later between us as he loves his relic as it has been in family for longtime and has sentimental value. i have just got my license issued and want to get a Glock or beretta or may be a smith and wesson.They are relatively cheap abroad.
1 Can they import a fire arm?
2 Can it only be imported on TR(transfer of residence)
3 If yes What is the Procedure for import, permission/ permits license status??
4 How long is the period of lock in before the arm maybe transferred or sold.??

thanks and regards
Rakshit

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Import of firearm by NRI and rules and procedure to do so??

Post by mundaire » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:02 pm

Thx for the prompt reponse... however the procedure and details of import and the paperwork required is still not clear to me or maybe i didnt understand it... and my parents live in dubai and there is no ownership permits to expats . however my father is working with the royal family
of dubai and they can procure and hip weaponvfor him.. pls shed some more light.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

BJL
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by BJL » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:42 pm

He has to have owned it for over a year, and it must be documented there. He needs to get a transfer of residence from the Indian embassy/consulate there. He must have a valid arms license on which that gun can be endorsed. The weapon CAN NOT be transferred or sold to anyone else in the owner's lifetime. So it cannot be transferred to you, and it will be his weapon. Be aware of Indian caliber/bore restrictions.
“To be both a speaker of words and a doer of deeds”- The Iliad.