Q: Sights for NRAI - ISSF events

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Q: Sights for NRAI - ISSF events

Post by full_circle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:37 am

Its a long weekend, and I had planned to go to the range and see how I perform with a .22 at 50m without a scope. I downloaded the NRAI matchbook 2010 from the NRAI site, and came across rule 17.1 "Open Sight Rifles will not be permitted in any Small Bore and Big Bore Rifles ISSF matches" - for the NSCC. A quick look at the ISSF rule book and 7.4.1.3.3 says "Any sight not containing a lens or system of lenses is permitted. Light filters may be fitted to the front or rear sight, or both."

Being confused as a newbee is apt to be, I looked up open sights, and the wikipedia page says Iron sights are of three types - Open, Aperture (aka peep sights and ghost rings) and Shotgun beads. Open sights are not precise, I am assuming shotgun beads are even less so. I dont know why they would be banned? Does this mean all ISSF rifle events conducted by NRAI require aperture sights? I hadnt read the rulebook carefully last year, so had assumed the factory installed open sights would be good for the event.

I searched for aperture sights, and there is a huge variety of them. From simple and cheap to complicated looking ones that cost almost as much as a new rifle. So what does one look for in aperture sights? Which brands and models are generaly used / recommended?
Mohali & Pune | NRAI Life Member | IOF .32 Mark 2 | Beretta DT11 | .22 coming soon

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Q: Sights for NRAI - ISSF events

Post by nagarifle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:19 am

try out this link, something like that your will need for competition

http://www.issf-sports.org/documents/ru ... 05_1st.pdf

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Rearsights.html
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

full_circle
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by full_circle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanxx Naga! I also asked at a local gun store, and the guy too came up with Anschutz and Centra for .22LR. He also talked about different sights for high-powered rifles, but was unable to give any details. Apparently, the recoil alters the zero...
Mohali & Pune | NRAI Life Member | IOF .32 Mark 2 | Beretta DT11 | .22 coming soon

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:29 pm

for hi power try the warne and their is one other in the states, just can not think of the name of them. who make good sights
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.