The first requirement for making a career in shooting?

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Afaque
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

The first requirement for making a career in shooting?

Post by Afaque » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:06 pm

Hello guys, after a long time visiting this site ...

I just wondered what use is the guns and shooting skills if

you don't have the basic requirement for successful

shooting which is the EyeSight .

I doubt if it's the most essential thing needed to start a career in shooting!

I have a slight short sight and that's what makes me wonder if I will be able to even make it in shooting 🔫.

Tell me your views about this.

Hopefully some good comes from this .

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The first requirement for making a career in shooting?

Post by timmy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:01 pm

Welcome to IFG, Afaque:

My suggestion to you is not to worry about your eyesight. Consider your shooting not to be a contest with other people, over how much better one person is, compared to another. Instead, consider your shooting to be a contest with yourself.

You are the one who must master your motor skills of handling a weapon, and you are the one who must discipline yourself to do the things you learn to do, such as hold, sight picture, trigger technique, breathing, reaction and flinch control, etc.

How well you are doing in controlling yourself becomes instantly recorded on your target. There's no argument or excuse: you do what you do, and then analyze your results.

It is somewhat like playing pool: you know what to do when stroking, and where to strike the cue, and how the cue must strike the object. But, disciplining yourself to actually sink the object in the pocket is more than simply knowing -- it is also correctly executing. It's not a team sport. You yourself must succeed, fail, and improve. As with pool, practice is key, no matter your starting point.

Your eyesight is simply one tool you have to do the job; it is no more than a constant with which you have to work, just like your hand or any other part of your body involved in shooting. Training your mind and muscles is the task you must accomplish here.

My eyesight, at one time, was quite sufficient to do a fair job in a comparative sense. But that's not been the case for me anymore. But, I can still surprise myself when I walk to the target or check the spotting scope after sending some lead downrange.

My suggestion to you is not to worry about your eyesight. Use what you have, as best as you can. There are plenty of opportunities for self-mastery in your present condition. Go and practice, do your best, and learn. Learning by yourself is fine, but it's better if you can get some good coaching. If you will apply yourself to learning and discipline, you will find yourself pleased and dissatisfied with your progress at the same time.

Along this journey, if you choose to match yourself against others, it's quite likely that others will be surprised with your shooting, as well!

All the best to you in your efforts.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: The first requirement for making a career in shooting?

Post by partheus » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:20 pm

If you're in Europe or N. America, you should have plenty of opportunities. More sporting formats besides ISSF, plenty of sponsorships/endorsement deals to earn, a thriving firearms industry you can join in many a capacity and easy access to quality firearms.

If you're in India, you're out of luck and are better of leaving for richer pastures. The country continues to make firearms as inaccessible to the people as possible, while also being confused, bewildered and outraged when its marksmen and women fail to win medals in the Olympics. That should tell you something about how lopsided expectations are here.

You may get someplace if all you stick to is 10-meter air pistol/rifle. Even so, only sporting shooters who are in the Indian team and have won something in the Asian or Commonwealth games have any hope of scoring endorsements or sponsorships. Since there aren't very many industries that can identify with shooting, few companies offer sponsorship deals here. The rest either take up govt jobs through quotas, become coaches, or open up their ranges, but that's about it.