Shooting Academy

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
vikram.dutta
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Shooting Academy

Post by vikram.dutta » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Dear fellow IFGians,

I just got a reply from an Indian website about a Shooting Academy which conducts shooting courses. My query was about Trap Shooting. They provided me with the following information:

:arrow: 6 Days Beginners Course in Trap Shooting for Rs. 45000/- which includes trainer fees, shotgun rentals, 300 rounds ammo and clay birds.

What are your thoughts guys? Is the package worth the buck that they are charging? Experienced IFGians please shed some light. :idea:

Regards
Vikram Dutta

For Advertising mail webmaster
gitana
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Shooting Academy

Post by gitana » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:53 am

:shock:

here, a 2 hr trap / double trap beginner session, all inclusive, in a group of 5, is $ 75 ~ INR 3400... 6 sessions ~ 20k

but ofcourse, India is different, but more than double???

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:23 am

vikram.dutta wrote: :arrow: 6 Days Beginners Course in Trap Shooting for Rs. 45000/- which includes trainer fees, shotgun rentals, 300 rounds ammo and clay birds.
What are your thoughts guys? Is the package worth the buck that they are charging?
Thats steep ! For 45K you can buy an Indian O/U and approx 15K worth of ammo to practice with provided you find someone to train you to shoot safe and straight .

Where is this academy located ?

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:53 am

The Doc wrote:Thats steep ! For 45K you can buy an Indian O/U and approx 15K worth of ammo to practice with provided you find someone to train you to shoot safe and straight .
:agree:
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

vikram.dutta
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vikram.dutta » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 pm

:agree:

Yes guys. Even I thought thats very steep. Just wanted some nods from IFGians. :mrgreen:
The Doc wrote:Thats steep ! For 45K you can buy an Indian O/U and approx 15K worth of ammo to practice with provided you find someone to train you to shoot safe and straight .

:?: Do you mean an Indian O/U comes for 30K?
:?: All Indian O/U are double triggers, right?
:?: Can you give me an idea about how much an Imported O/U would cost me?(A decent once for Trap Shooting)
:?: What make is most recommended for beginners : Beretta, Stoeger, Browning?(Perrazi would be too costly I suppose)

:!: Consider me a layman while answering the above questions :!:

Thanks so much guys for all the support. :cheers:

Regards
Vikram

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi,

A Stoeger is not in the same league as Beretta or Browning.It's right at the bottom end of the market.That does not make them bad. I would suggest getting some basic lessons first,get an understanding and feel of the sport,and then start thinking of buying a relatively costlier imported gun.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

vikram.dutta
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vikram.dutta » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info and suggestion Vikram. Really appreciate it. :cheers:

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:06 pm

vikram.dutta wrote: :?: Do you mean an Indian O/U comes for 30K? Under 30K.
:?: All Indian O/U are double triggers, right? Right.
:?: Can you give me an idea about how much an Imported O/U would cost me? 3L upwards.
:?: What make is most recommended for beginners : Beretta, Stoeger, Browning,Perrazi Listen to Vikram.
best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

vikram.dutta
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vikram.dutta » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks Doc. :cheers:

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:26 am

vikram.dutta wrote:Thanks Doc. :cheers:

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:11 am

Hello Vikaram Dutta,
Here are some very realistic figures;
1. Single Trap & Skeet round imported costs betweenRs 8/- to Rs 16/- per shot.
2. Market price of above ranges between Rs 60/- to Rs 100/- per shot.
3. A decent Trap & Skeet Shotgun costs around Rs 2.0 lacs (imported on Import License)
4. A coach worth his salt charges around Rs 3000/- per day, per student.
5. For 6 days training the cost of coaching will be Rs 18,000/-
6. The total cost of 300 cartridges amounts to 300/- X Rs 16/- = Rs 4.800.
7. Market price of 300 catrridges amounts to 300 x Rs 100/- = Rs 30,000/-
8. From points 5&6 we can safely infer, that whoever is conducting the course is going to use imported cartridges.
9. Clay birds cost anything between Rs 5 to Rs 12/- imported, market price may be three times this figure.
10. Cost of Clay birds = 300 x Rs 12/- = Rs 3600/-
11. Amortisation cost of shotgun = approximately Rs 20,000/- (10 % of the value of gun each year)

Total Estimated cost = Rs 3,600/- (birds) + Rs 18000/- (coach) + Rs 4,800/- (cartridges) = Rs 26,400/-

Fees Charged = Rs 45,000/- Less estimated expenses Rs 26,400/- = Rs 18600/- (Gross Profit)

Less Amortisation cost = Rs 20,000 divided by number of students using the gun for each course, (assume 5 students)

Amortisation cost (annual) = Rs 20000/5 students = Rs 4000/- per student

Net Profit = Rs 18600/- less Rs 4000/- (amort.) = Rs 14600/-

Now does that look too bad. No. Its a reasonable fee charged in the Indian Context, when compared to the cost of starting of on your own.

Indian Context (Starting of on your own)
1. Buy a second hand shotgun = Rs 5.00 lacs (approx)
2. 300 Cartridges = Rs 30,000/- (market price)
3. Birds 300 x Rs 20/- - Rs 6000/-
Total = Rs 5.36 lacs + - Rs 1.0 lacs.

Regards

vikram.dutta
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vikram.dutta » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:14 pm

@ The Doc : They haven'y given me the location yet. Actually I visited to the site while I was trying to learn about trap shooting(and that is when I came across IFG also), and I sent a mail asking for guidance. They replied with the details that I shared here. Nothing more. I responded asking about the location and all. Yet to hear from them on that.

@ hvj1 : Thanks for the figures. :D Do you think I should go for it?

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Hello Vikramdutta,
Here's what I would do;
1. Who is the coach ? How many nationals has he shot? (at least 5 years). How much coaching experience? Nothing verbal, participation certs etc required.
2. Check out the guns, are they really trap & skeet guns?
3. How many hours of training each day? (Min. two hours)
4. How many hours of classroom training? (Theory, safety etc at least one hour each day)
5. What notes are they providing?
6. Accomodation facility?
7. Where is the location of the trg. school? Which city? If its not your city, then add cost of travelling, boarding lodging etc.
8. Are guns available after the course for training? What are post course expenses?
9. Any membership fee?
Ultimately the decision is yours, but sincerely speaking, in 6 days you will learn just enough to know, thay there is a helluva lot more to learn. Ideally, you could go abroad, spend about a month in training , the cost will be worth it from the point of view of KNOWLEDGE gained.
Regards

vikram.dutta
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by vikram.dutta » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Hello hvj1,

You got me thinking, Sir. Thank you. :D (doesn't mean I wasn't thinking before :P )
I understand that in 6 days one can only get the feel of the thing and the actual learning will be much much longer.(Fact is, learning never ends) And if I am not wrong, loads and loads of practice after learning the basics while improving and bettering techniques each day is the key. Right?

Now the million dollar question for me is: :?: what is the most practical way to get into serious trap shooting in India?(which is what I want to do.)
:!: How feasible is it to join a club, get the licence and get myself under an experienced shooter(If I can find one) and then after getting some hang of the thing, go abroad for some professional coaching and get the quality mentoring?
To do that would also be a tedious task in India I suppose. Getting the licence is one. And then getting a decent gun.

Please guide.

Regards
Vikram

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:39 pm

vikram.dutta wrote: Now the million dollar question for me is: :?: what is the most practical way to get into serious trap shooting in India?(which is what I want to do.)
Please guide.
Regards
Vikram
Apply for a licence first....once you get it .....everything else will fall in place
Just remember that Trap/Skeet shooting is a very expensive sport