Any members in for an air rifle postal match?

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Any members in for an air rifle postal match?

Post by Mark » Sun May 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Well you can put me down too.

I'm not sure what I'll shoot, either a non-indian 177 or non-indian 20.

To be honest, I've never shot either one at a target, so I don't know how well either one groups! So I'll shoot both first and decide then, if it is acceptable to shoot a 20, otherwise I guess the choice would be made for me!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun May 06, 2007 3:02 pm

Hi Mark,

Go ahead and use the 0.20" calibre if you like. We'll group you in the .177" calibre category just in case some feel you have a calibre advantage if shooting in the 0.22" category.

Mack The Knife

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun May 06, 2007 3:58 pm

I don't have a workable air rifle yet, so guess I'll volunteer instead...

The Siri Fort Sports Complex Shooting range can be used for the competition....

Abhijeet,
I don't mind practicing at 'your range'. Need to open up and shake off the rust of several years !

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun May 06, 2007 4:55 pm

Mack The Knife,

Your experience with air rifles easily trumps mine so your amended rules are the ones that we shall follow. As simple as that. :D Thanks for the superb suggestions, buddy!

My worry is that we have very few participants at the moment and I think we need at least 30 to make a good showing. AT the moment there does seem to be neck and neck competition between the volunteers and participants as far as numbers are concerned...

Mark,

Of course a 20 is fine. Could we do a mathematical average for a 20 as far as groups are concerned and relate it to a 177 or a 22? If we can't, we'll let the 20 stand by itself. And, if you could get the kids to participate - no problem at all with several people using the same air rifle, we just might have a 20 class by itself. Just a suggestion...

Anupam,

As I have said, you do NOT need to own an air rifle. I don't own one myself and am going to borrow one for the match. As you are going to be shooting along with Abhijeet, why don't you participate with his air rifle? We do need to have more participants or this exercise would not work out properly. Right now, we are not even at the 1/3rd mark that I thought of when I posted the initial rules, which is sad as we now have more than 400 members on our group after ToI's superb support, but getting less than 10% of them to participate in a postal match is turning difficult. Please think about participating. It is just for fun.

Here's something that may become the icing on the cake - if you're worried about group sizes with a gun that you are not familiar with, don't worry. I haven't shot an air rifle in ages and most probably the worst groups would be mine! :lol: Please think about participating.

Cheers everyone!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun May 06, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi Mehul,

From what I have seen of online 'postal' comps, getting 30 members at the very least every month is a tall order and this is on sites that have a few thousand members at least.

My suggestion is that we go ahead with it even if we only have three.

Also, what do you think of the honour system of marking/grading one's own card? It would remove the bother of posting and checking each card. Best solution would be that scores get PM'd to me and I will put these up at the begining of the second week of each month.

The really serious online/postal comps require that the shots be fired at a range and the card/s be witnessed by the Range Officer and another witness. Do we really want to go down this road? Let's keep it informal and fun.

If this takes off and I don't see why it shouldn't, I would request Abhijeet to start a new subforum where I will post the monthly results on a seperate thread each month and those members with digital cameras could also post pics of their card if they like.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: It just occured to me that we could have a 13th comp each year. This would be a shoot off between the first three or five or whatever - depending on the number of participants, ofcourse. We can decide about this much later though.

P.P.S: Another idea and this was sparked by you mentioning Mark's children. How about a 5 mm bonus for children under 15? If agreeable I will add it to the previous suggestions.

As regards seperate categories for men and women, I truly believe that women are just as good as men and would recommend not having a seperate category unless the ladies themselves ask for one.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun May 06, 2007 9:44 pm

ngrewal";p="19379 wrote:I will cheer you guyz unless my local range has airgunners

Let the games begin if they havent already

Best of luck
Navdeep,

Why don't you check if your local range permits airguns.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon May 07, 2007 12:24 am

Rusty, how about increasing the range for scoped guns as opposed to giving a penalty? Say 10m for unscoped and 25-30m for scoped... Just thinking aloud here...

Also, in the same vein, should the penalty on diopter sights and scopes be the same? Does not add up...

In retrospect I second Rusty's proposal of self evaluation and keeping that in mind, I'd be glad to participate as a contestant... ;)

Name: Abhijeet Singh

Categories: .22 air-rifle (foreign make) - open sights
.22 rifle (Indian make) - open sights
.22 rifle (foreign make) - scoped (not sure on this one, but will see if it works out)
.177 pistol (foreign make) open sights - intend to borrow Dev's Baikal for this one! - Dev you have been warned! ;) :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon May 07, 2007 12:43 am

Mack The Knife,

I didn't think of it as a monthly thing but as a starter. Am not sure we could do it every month, and, if we do, we might end up with three participants as you said happened in your previous experience. I'm looking at this more as a starter and then trying to organise city based groups for our speed shooting matches probably once every quarter or so.

The self measurement thing is fine as is the 5mm bonus for children below 12 (?) And we need to have a .20 category as well as that is what Mark would be shooting. The separate categories for women thing is academic now as we do not have any woman participant. If any sign up, we shall check with them and find out what they want.

Please amend the rules as you feel fit. I'm just not sure this could be pulled off once a month.

Cheers!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon May 07, 2007 2:06 am

Rusty, how about increasing the range for scoped guns as opposed to giving a penalty? Say 10m for unscoped and 25-30m for scoped... Just thinking aloud here...
Abhijeet, at 10 metres a scope is a disadvantage unless it's one of those that cranks down to 1x or 1.5x. A scope may magnify the target but it will also magnify the guns movement and believe me that leads to more errors than you can imagine because human beings are control freaks and just cannot resist letting the shot go when the crosshairs fall on the bull. Instead they will try and refine it and in that process screw up the shot because they are running out of breath which equals running out of oxygen thereby tiring the eye and the muscles . Trust when I say that one can shoot similar groups with open sights at 10 metres, if not better. Also, if you increase the range to 25 or 30 yards, then the shooter will have to contend with wind and need the correct pellet for his/her rifle. How many of our members with imported airguns make do with G.Smiths or any imported brand at hand? At 10 metres an unsuitable pellet will not make much if any difference but at 25/30 yards it most definitely will.
Also, in the same vein, should the penalty on diopter sights and scopes be the same?
No! A diopter sight should actually be penalised MORE! Surprised? :mrgreen:
Mind you this is with reference to what we are currently discussing. The human eye has a natural ability to center the target (bull) within a concentric circle. So long as you use a front sight insert with the appropriately sized aperture, you can be sure of shooting well...provided the shooter does his/her bit, ofcourse.
When it comes to static targets of the sort being discussed here a diopter sighted rifle can outshoot a scoped rifle and I don't mean a mere 10 metres either.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon May 07, 2007 2:17 am

Mack The Knife,
I didn't think of it as a monthly thing but as a starter. Am not sure we could do it every month, and, if we do, we might end up with three participants as you said happened in your previous experience. I'm looking at this more as a starter and then trying to organise city based groups for our speed shooting matches probably once every quarter or so.
I am okay with whatever the punters want.
The self measurement thing is fine as is the 5mm bonus for children below 12 (?)
No, keep it as 15 or below because from what I have noticed there aren't that many under-12 kids in India who even have an airgun. Really speaking it should be 18 and under as they usually start shooting airguns when they are 15 or so.
And we need to have a .20 category as well as that is what Mark would be shooting.
Not just for one person as it wouldn't be a comp then. However, if Mark can get his wife and children to shoot or we have other .20" calibre participants, then I don't see why not. But first let Mark check both his rifles because for all you know, the .177" calibre rifle may just be the better of the two.

Mack The Knife

jumq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by jumq » Mon May 07, 2007 10:49 am

Hey All..

The " In - House IFG " Air-Rifle match is finally taking its shape .. Lots and pots of luck to all the particpants and volunteers... :) :) Are there any particpants from Mumbai or Dubai ..! Would love to visit the range to witness the competition ( only if permitted ).

Jumana.

mishradk
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mishradk » Mon May 07, 2007 10:59 am

Hi People..
Sorry for not coming to this site as guns and related topics were getting blocked in my office firewall. (Happy It s not happening now :D )

As I shoot alone I think this is going to be a gr8 help in seeing my progress.. and get some professional guidance from experts.

Following is my entry.
Name: MishraDK
Event : .177 Air Rifle Imported

Just waiting for the match..

Just a suggestion
How will it be if we honest shooters keep a time limit for a match.. or even better making it like a shoot out of a Big game?

MishraDK

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:22 am

hey could i just come over to see you guys shoot
dont own a gun as of now but would love to see you guys shoot
do let me know

thanks
Siddharth

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon May 07, 2007 11:25 am

I'll just plan on shooting the 177, it sounds like that will be simplest.

Additonally, I'd like to suggest there just be 1 postal match, and see what the interest is before deciding on a monthly event. If there is a large interest then it would be great to have it be monthly but sometimes the response isn't what you'd think it would be.

I once sponsored a postal match, (with prizes even!) and had a grand total of 2 people participate, despite a large claimed interest so maybe I'm a little cynical overall.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:26 am

i am from noida near delhi so if any one is from around here and would be participating do let me know

thanks