Rot in shooting sports

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Rot in shooting sports

Post by Safarigent » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Mr putani,
As you can see, ifg is a forum where we members as a body are very passionate about firearms,
It would have been better for you to tap into this collective resource before posting an article which is based on precious little.
One would like to see the proof of such allegations without you compromising any of your sources.
Till then, this smacks of sensationalism.
Or worse, another attempt by the MHA to further throw into disarray the body of honest, responsible firearm owners.
Waiting for proof,
An honest, upright aspiring shooter.
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:27 pm

Putani2005,

We as law abiding citizens of India wholeheartedly denounce any circumvention of the laws of the land and cheer any effort to expose illegal activities whether they are about to show shooting related activities in good light or not.

What you have largely done in your so called exposé is that to fill it with a lot of allegations and a good load of imagination. Until proof or evidence is provided, your claims remain allegations.Assault weapons imported as target shooting arms? Customs officials may not be experts but even they would know when they see one.Especially when they agonise even over air rifles that do not need licenses.

There is little to add to what our friends have already stated.We would like to see what you have to say about the views expressed so far.

@Members, please keep your views polite and avoid invectives or personal references.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:33 pm

Gents,
I have a feeling this is the last we'll hear from our friend. Me thinks we should copy our comments as responses on his article's webpage to register our protest
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:46 pm

That's a good idea Hamiclar. This is absolute yellow journalism.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:00 pm

hi Putani2005

welcome to the forum and would like to say that i am glad that you have not run away with all the comments made here.

it was good of you to write the artical and post it on the forum. i really do applude you for that, as we say you got balls. :D

in light of what has been said, if you could, would you have written something different ?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:33 pm

hamiclar01 wrote:Gents,
I have a feeling this is the last we'll hear from our friend. Me thinks we should copy our comments as responses on his article's webpage to register our protest
:agree:

I'm holding my views on this , but my guess is that his stay is going to be very very short with us. " Importing Assault Weapons " you got to be kidding. What's next "renown shooters importing stinger missile launchers"

It took people half of their life to become " Renown Shooters " and you are selling them " Cheap " for your journalism sir

Keep up or read up and smart up before you post some crap on public forums - Haji
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:06 pm

OK Gents, the link to the article is
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_dn ... 718213-all

you just need to register on the website and post your comment.

though knowing the lack of transparency in news networks, I would be surprised if DNA has the guts to post replies to Mr Patil's "intense" research lasting one month, which makes his knowledge of shooting and firearms ahead of all of us.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Rot in yellow journalism.

boris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by boris » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:43 pm

This article makes me vomit.

Firstly about the wadcutter rounds in the hands of gangsters well gangsters here also have glocks,beretta 92's which are in the hands of special units should we say the special units are giving away government owned arms??Pathetic Logic I say.If you have heard the word "Arms Trafficker" then don't forget if the likes of Dolas etc etc want illegally they can get a AK-47 and they do.

Ashok Pandit owning assault weapons.Firstly without concrete evidence a top class shooter's name is being tarnished.How can he get an assault weapon even if he is a renowned shot,if you bothered in your "Long Research" then for any citizen renowned shot or not semi-auto rifles are prohibited.If at the least a weapon does not have a 20 round magazine,semi-auto capability I am not calling it an assault rifle.

A new Colt revolver being sold at 5 lakhs ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL mate a 40 year old Walther PPK gets sold off at twice the price.

Next the caliber point stated.You know that there is something called PB and NPB,Military issue calibers are all PB in India.So when almost all Assault rifles being semi-auto in civilian, being produced in 5.56 NATO or 7.62 soviet which are a No-No for civilians be imported.

This article is ofcourse for the ones not knowing about firearms so that they can also agree "Guns are Evil".I also feel maybe the Colorado Cinema incident might have sparked some interest.

Yes we agree there are some people who sell arms at insane prices and we all IFG'ians have nothing but disdain for them.

We as responsible shooters agree to every law to follow in context of arms which is why since decades we have been following all the great prohibitions like PB/NPB,Import rule,the great "Immediate threat to life" rule,the insane license procedure etc etc.
You haven't lived until you have been close to death,for those who fight life has a different flavor that the protected will never know.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Hello Putani,

Welcome to IFG. I hope that you will learn something on weapons and laws on guns in this forum at last. Most importantly, I only hope that before taking up another venture of a news scoop investigation on another subject, you will take enough time to get sufficient knowledge and information.

It is a pity that you lost you precious 'One month's time' on investigation with wrong people and with misinformation. Had you been here with us in IFG for that duration of time, DNA's readers would have had a wonderful image of the shooting enthusiasts and the gun lovers.

Being an NRI, I would have sprung to joy with your news that NRIs can bring weapons to India at every visit. But thankfully, I am aware of the laws and do not live in a world of fantasy :D

BTW, I read your article headline as 'Licence to kill the shooting sport in India'

tirpassion

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Mr. Putani 2005:

Many members have responded to the article you have posted here, where the concept of gun ownership has been called into question. I am hoping that you will take the time to respond to these comments as a responsible journalist, for many of the observations on your article call the journalism behind it into serious question.

I hope you will not be the sort of person who throws a bottle into the middle of a pub and runs out the door when the response begins, and will be willing to back up your allegations with considered views, facts, and data.

The ball is in your court, sir. Please show us that your comments come from a responsible person who is willing to engage in the dialogue necessary for a vibrant democracy to flourish, rather than a person who seeks to impose your own notions on others, willing or not.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Boris: The defining property of an "assault" rifle is that it is a selective fire weapon, capable of full automatic fire, as well as single shots. Not just a semi-auto with a twenty round magazine.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:28 pm

Dear Putani,

Do you know what a "wad-cutter" is ? No ?

Though I am not an expert on firearms, here's a google link for you -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadcutter

Notice what it says wrt even the .32 wad-cutter - they are specially used to shoot at paper targets due to clean holes in paper that they make. If at all, .38 wad-cutter is used in snub-nosed pistols that shoot at extreme close quarters as they lack the necessary velocities to transmit power over distance. Now, would a gang stock up on such bullets or bullets going over some distance with power ? Remember the firefight went on awhile. Ask that police who is a sports shooter himself to clarify on ballistics. Ask him if they advanced on the Maya Dolas gang holding paper targets ? BTW, are you dead sure that the story circulated about the shootout including the movie is really what happened ? What about the "integrity" of the police officer who led the assault ? What about his current status ? :-) Which brings us to the integrity of the claim of the "find".

Are you not suggesting that VAST quantity of "sports arms" are pouring into the country that stupefy the Indian Customs ? And that the India Customs are too stupid to differentiate between sports arms and assault weapons ? ROTFL Have you cross-checked your information with any custom official ? You did mention a "Colt" - what you did not mention was its model or calibre. Why ?

Others on this forum have blasted holes in your "thoroughly researched article" without even resorting to any weapon, but using basic intelligence and awareness which is a must for any person who even ventures out into journalism. Would you not agree ?

In short, as an expectation from any journalist, I would suggest you to be more "DoLas" ("Open-eyed" in Marathi) than indulge in mithya "maya". :cheers:

.338 lapua
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by .338 lapua » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi
Ifgians,I spoke to the secretary of DNA Mumbai about this disgusting report by Mr Patil and Putani,I am asked to send complaint's regarding this report to her personal email Id,[email protected],Vikram,WTP,AGN,I think we should inform her or rather protest of what was written on the DNA page and He should provide a written apology.If you want me to send it I will send it from my ID, GBM guys let me know what to write(legal aspects).I will however send a complaint anyways.

Regard's
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!"
MarkTwain

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Great job .338 Lapua. I surely agree to your proposal. Our knowledgeable members GBM, Vikram, Winie, mundaire etc and our poetic writer AGN please give a befitting reply. The best would be an apology on the daily itself.
I am there to put a word and sign whenever you demand it.

with you always
tirpassion