First day at a shooting range - 10 mt IHP Rifle

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
ebolavirus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

First day at a shooting range - 10 mt IHP Rifle

Post by ebolavirus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:40 pm

Hello all, here is my first day at a shooting range. Although I have been a member of IFG for quite some time, I have not been able to take up the sport on a regular basis due to work and family commitments. I found a shooting range in my city and gave it a try. The guy claimed the range is designed according to ISSF standards for 10mt rifle. He handed me a IHP National .177 and I could come up with the target attached.
My initial observations.
1. Maybe I was too enthusiastic or tensed or maybe it was just my posture but my hands seemed to be shaking a lot.
2. The trigger was way too hard to press. I took an aim and by the time I pressed the trigger I thought the shot went haywire.
3. I can see that my shots are more up and down rather than side to side.
4. I shot a total of 20 pellets out of which 19 hit the target.
5. Although I tried to get some grouping, I failed miserably as you all can see and the guy there pointed it out as well.
6. I have read some of the tips on shooting and I shall try and implement those and I will hope it gets better.

Feels good as I am able to do this at last. Comments, criticisms, constructive criticisms, roses and brickbats, all welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Re: First day at a shooting range - 10 mt IHP Rifle

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:44 am

19/20 in the circle with an IHP 25 for the first time is fantastic.
It can only get better so keep at it.
Its easily possible to keep all the shots in the black area of the pistol target with some practice.
Just be consistent with your technique.

M.
ebolavirus wrote:Hello all, here is my first day at a shooting range. Although I have been a member of IFG for quite some time, I have not been able to take up the sport on a regular basis due to work and family commitments. I found a shooting range in my city and gave it a try. The guy claimed the range is designed according to ISSF standards for 10mt rifle. He handed me a IHP National .177 and I could come up with the target attached.
My initial observations.
1. Maybe I was too enthusiastic or tensed or maybe it was just my posture but my hands seemed to be shaking a lot.
2. The trigger was way too hard to press. I took an aim and by the time I pressed the trigger I thought the shot went haywire.
3. I can see that my shots are more up and down rather than side to side.
4. I shot a total of 20 pellets out of which 19 hit the target.
5. Although I tried to get some grouping, I failed miserably as you all can see and the guy there pointed it out as well.
6. I have read some of the tips on shooting and I shall try and implement those and I will hope it gets better.

Feels good as I am able to do this at last. Comments, criticisms, constructive criticisms, roses and brickbats, all welcome.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

ebolavirus
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ebolavirus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks fantumfan. Does anybody else think that the trigger of the IHP national is too hard or does it just come with practice?

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:59 pm

The triggers on the IHP 25 and 35 are worst triggers on any air rifle. More so on IHPs used in any club.
If you want to get some place in 10mtr air rifle shooting, it would be wise to invest in your own 10mtr air rifle.
They are not cheap, but as I said, they are an investment.

M.
ebolavirus wrote:Thanks fantumfan. Does anybody else think that the trigger of the IHP national is too hard or does it just come with practice?
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai