New to shooting sport

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Navisra6577
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

New to shooting sport

Post by Navisra6577 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:41 pm

hi..
can anybody give the answers of following questions of mine plz..
1. i have an old break barrell .22 calibre pellet air rifle, can i use it in any of the compititions..if not which rifle u suggest so that i can take part and handle it easily?
2. do i have to wear the ISSF standard clothes during the compitions?
3. do i need to get registered with any rifle clubs to take part.

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: New to shooting sport

Post by brihacharan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:36 pm

Navisra6577 wrote: hi..
1. i have an old break barrell .22 calibre pellet air rifle, can i use it in any of the competitions..if not which rifle u suggest so that i can take part and handle it easily?
Your queries will best be answered by fellow IFGian airgun _novice who is a regular participant in shooting competitions.
Briha

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:25 pm

Hello

Welcome to IFG

1. i have an old break barrell .22 calibre pellet air rifle, can i use it in any of the compititions..if not which rifle u suggest so that i can take part and handle it easily?

Only .177 (4.5mm) calibre is allowed in air rifle competitions, which are 10mtr Air Rifle and 10mtr Air Pistol
Several options for .177 cal are available from Rs.25000 to Rs.200000+

Yes it is recommended for 10mtr Air Rifle Category. Shooting jacket, trousers, shoes and glove.

Yes. A club that is affiliated to a District Rifle Association

Where are you from ?

M.
Navisra6577 wrote:hi..
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

Ganesh TT
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ganesh TT » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Welcome to IFG Navi
Thanks

GANESH TT

Navisra6577
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Navisra6577 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:03 pm

thanx for welcoming me to ifg
fantumfan2003 wrote: Where are you from ?
i'm from district Bathinda, Punjab

Navisra6577
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Navisra6577 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 pm

fantumfan2003 wrote: 2. do i have to wear the ISSF standard clothes during the compitions?

Yes it is recommended for 10mtr Air Rifle Category. Shooting jacket, trousers, shoes and glove.
are these clothes material can be available at outer market just for the looks customization (but basically it will be according to ISSF standards)?

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Navisra6577 wrote:hi..
Thank you brihji and FF - ditto to what FF said with a few additions -
1. Seeing that you are 19, you would soon be termed "adult" - so recommend you to get into peep sight AR. Like FF said price has a wide range and look towards higher end for a good competition rifle. You *WILL* need to get started though so use club rifle on rent to determne if you are cut for AR or AP - ONLY INVEST THEN.
2. Jacket and trousers as per current specs are a must for AR - check ISSF handbook for accurate specifications. You can download the same from their site. No such paraphernalia for AP. ONLY .177 cal in AP/ AR events. Many clubs won't even allow .22 cal AR inside. You can use it for "plinking" at home for joy - follow safety rules everywhere. Should you choose to get into AP then follow hvj1's TOPS thread which is a big help for AP shooters. Good luck and welcome. :cheers:

regs
A.

Navisra6577
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Navisra6577 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:22 pm

thanx for this airgun_novice..
and thanx all other people thanx a lot..
regards..

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Welcome to IFG, Navi. All the best with your sporting ambitions.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Navisra6577
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Navisra6577 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:13 pm

can i use .177 calibre Hammerli AR20 for the competition matches...?

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Navisra6577 wrote:can i use .177 calibre Hammerli AR20 for the competition matches...?
I had never heard of this 1000 dollar rifle till you mentioned it. I Googled for it and found that it comes bundled with a telescope and no open sights. I think telescopic sights are not allowed for competition.

With respect Navisra - have you seen the type of shooting done by competitive shooters? They make a single hole at the center of the target and then they keep on pumping pellet after pellet through the same hole. I wonder, why have the target - just leave the hole.

I think I am a good shooter and if I shoot ten pellets at a target you can count ten holes . That type of shooting is no good for competition. It's called lousy shooting.

You need to start shooting first before you talk of competition.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 am

Navisra6577 wrote:can i use .177 calibre Hammerli AR20 for the competition matches...?
Please check the ISSF handbook for specifications, including speed of ejected projectile. All "Go-Go" then you can go "ga-ga". :-) The ISSF handbook does not list fave manufacturers of AR or Jacket-trouser etc. but merely the specs that they must adhere to. The subsequent Qs you raised would have been answered had you finished reading the handbook. No shortcuts for the "mehanat". :-)

Since you are from Punjab, I suppose you would need to check directly with the NRAI on state/ district/ club membership norms.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:09 pm

YES YOU CAN !!!

More info here......

http://www.haemmerli-ar20.de/en/information.html

Just be sure you buy the model with peep/aperture sights.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:13 pm

The AR20 comes in two versions.

One is meant for 10mtr Air Rifle as below

http://www.haemmerli-ar20.de/en/information.html

and the other is the FT version meant for Field Target sport as below.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hammerli_ ... Rifle/2444

The second one is obviously not allowed in 10mtr Air Rifle competitions.....

M.

bennedose wrote:
I had never heard of this 1000 dollar rifle till you mentioned it. I Googled for it and found that it comes bundled with a telescope and no open sights. I think telescopic sights are not allowed for competition.

With respect Navisra - have you seen the type of shooting done by competitive shooters? They make a single hole at the center of the target and then they keep on pumping pellet after pellet through the same hole. I wonder, why have the target - just leave the hole.

I think I am a good shooter and if I shoot ten pellets at a target you can count ten holes . That type of shooting is no good for competition. It's called lousy shooting.

You need to start shooting first before you talk of competition.

Darr ke aage jeet hai