200 Yards Shooting With Snub Nose Revolver !!

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

200 Yards Shooting With Snub Nose Revolver !!

Post by Baljit » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:14 am

Hello Guy's

I came across Mr. Miculek's other video , i thought i shear with all of you . Amazing shooting !!

[youtube][/youtube]

Enjoy
Baljit

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: 200 Yards Shooting With Snub Nose Revolver !!

Post by xl_target » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:32 am

Jerry is amazing!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 am

Why do we hear two "gong" sounds?
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:10 am

timmy wrote:Why do we hear two "gong" sounds?
The second seems to be from the target board hitting its stand?
regards
dr.jk

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 am

The sound is the only thing about the video that seems fake. It is about 0.3 seconds from gunshot to the sound of gong. At 200 yards that translates to an average bullet velocity of 1800 fps - and probably a muzzle velocity of over 2000 fps. That is impossible from a revolver. So the sound has likely been dubbed in.

- added later.

I'll have to take that back..I could be wrong. A 357 can achieve muzzle velocities of 1500 fps and if my guesstimate of timing is off and the actual time of bullet flight is 0.4 sec (and not 0.3 as I guessed) the sound is quite credible.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:57 am

bennedose wrote:A 357 can achieve muzzle velocities of 1500 fps ...
True, but I think it is highly unlikely with a 2" barreled snubby. One can find all sorts of wild claims for ballistics out of a short barreled 357 on the web, and I'm not getting into that here, but here are some Sierra ballistic data for a 110 gr 357 bullet:

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexp ... /hgm73.pdf

A lot of speed is shed over 200 yards with such a short, chunky projectile, no matter how fast it is started, as these charts show.

When calculating the time it takes to hear the sound, remember that the time from the firing to the clang includes not only the time it takes the bullet to travel the 200 yards, but the time it takes the sound to come back 200 yards at about 1100 f/s.

I'm not ready to pronounce a verdict, but frankly, this video seems a bit fishy to me.

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:25 pm

Interesting video, Baljit. Thank you for posting.

I too heard two sounds. May be it ricocheted and hit another metal object around?

Re long range hand gun shooting, Elmer Keith wrote a lot on that subject. Here is an interesting article I read on that subject.

http://elmerkeithwasdeadright.blogspot.com/

Do give it a read as it discusses how to shoot at 500-1000 yards with a handgun and the technique it requires. May not be 100% correct but interesting nevertheless.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

I just had another thought. When I embed one video as a small window in another video clip, the sounds from both videos get mixed up and superimposed. This has actually happened in a recent video I uploaded and linked on another thread.

It is just possible that the second clang heard is the "original" sound that should go with the gunshot. The first one belongs to the inset video and coincides well with the inset video.

As Timmy has pointed out, assuming the camera is behind the shooter, sound will take nearly half a second to travel back to the camera from the target. Add that to the travel time of the bullet which could possible be a half second or more. That means the sound between the gunshot and target clang should be about a second or more.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:36 pm

The rough rule is that sound takes about 5 seconds to travel a mile. (
...the speed of sound is 343.2 metres per second (1,126 ft/s). This is 1,236 kilometres per hour (768 mph), or about a kilometre in three seconds or a mile in five seconds.
- Wikipedia)

Given that the bullet is going to average about the same rate as the speed of sound (from ~ 1100 f/s to ~800 f/s over the course of 200 yards), it should take about a second for the bullet to travel to the target and the sound to return.

All I'm saying about this video is that I've got some questions.

Harry S. Truman

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:35 am

Guy's do not underestimate any gun and caliber, anything possible when top shooter in the would shoot guns(Or i can say would champ.)

Baljit

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:34 am

Baljit wrote:Guy's do not underestimate any gun and caliber, anything possible when top shooter in the would shoot guns(Or i can say would champ.)

Baljit
Baljit, your thousand yards shooting was better - but you should have made a video. Your target was smaller.

This video has an 18 inch x 44 inch target at 200 yards. That is the same as a 4.4 inch by 1.8 inch target at 20 yards - which is doable. Of course it is more difficult with a revolver. The upside down part is a gimmick, not an impediment. A target that is 44 inches high will allow a 44 inch drop of bullet as it is shot. So anyone with some idea shooting that weapon can estimate how high he has to aim. It is the side to side aim that is more tricky.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:11 am

The reason you hear the gong ringing twice is because there are two cameras. one closer and one behind Jerry. The closer camera records one sound and the one behind Jerry records the other sound.

Jerry Miculek is the real deal. He is a Smith & Wesson factory sponsored shooter and holder of several world records, He has no need to cheat, especially for a YouTube video.

Bennedose,
There are many people who won't be able to hit a target that big with a double action snubby at 25 yards, forget 200 yards. Did I say many? How about most people....? With a single shot, I'd say 99% of shooters won't make that 200 yard shot. If as you say it is a 4.4 inch X 1.8 inch target, I'd really like to see you hit it at 20 yards. I'm serious, I'm willing to bet that with a double action snubby that you will not be able to do so. Yes, it is doable if you have had a lot of practice. I'm not sure that I could do it every time, even with the gun held right side up. I could do it with a four inch barreled semi, most likely .... but those double action snubby's are not easy to shoot accurately over spitting distances.

At 200 yards, the front sight blade will cover the entire target. When you are holding over, the entire barrel will intrude into the sight picture. Hitting that plate at 200 yards is not easy. This is not a video game where you just put the cursor higher than the target and hit it. As far as it being a gimmick, have you tried to shoot a handgun upside down? :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:37 am

xl_target wrote:The reason you hear the gong ringing twice is because there are two cameras. one closer and one behind Jerry. The closer camera records one sound and the one behind Jerry records the other sound.
I don't have troubles with how well he can shoot. My Dad told me about shooting at a towel over a clothesline at 300 yards with a 1911 during WW2 -- they took tracers out of the ammo given to tankers, who were issued Thompsons, and they would sit back and lob tracers at the towels. I'm not doubting for a minute that this can be done.

The problem I'm having with the "two camera - two gong" explanation is this: If I'm hearing the sound of two gong impacts because of two cameras, why do I only hear one report when the round is initially fired?

Then I wonder, which gong impact is the one paired with the report when the round is fired?

I get what you are saying, XL, but if there are two audio tracks superimposed on the video, the only thing I'm hearing from one track is the gong impact, but no talking or firing report. Something is not squaring away here with what I'm seeing on the video, and your explanation isn't dispelling my doubts.

I'm also still saying that there should be approximately 1 second between the firing report and the gong impact. There is about that time between the firing and the second gong sound, but the first one, in my mind, remains a mystery to me.

I do realize that factory shooters can be quite amazing -- people like Ed McGivern and many others could and did do things that were amazing.I'm not doubting that amazing things that defy understanding can be, are, and have been done. I'm just saying that this video isn't adding up for me. I'm not trying to cry "BS" here, and if others are satisfied, that's cool.

Harry S. Truman

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:34 am

xl_target wrote: Jerry Miculek is the real deal. He is a Smith & Wesson factory sponsored shooter and holder of several world records, He has no need to cheat, especially for a YouTube video.
At 200 yards, the front sight blade will cover the entire target. When you are holding over, the entire barrel will intrude into the sight picture. Hitting that plate at 200 yards is not easy. This is not a video game where you just put the cursor higher than the target and hit it. As far as it being a gimmick, have you tried to shoot a handgun upside down? :)
I am not questioning the man's expertise. It is precisely because the barrel will cover the target that the man held it upside down. it is a sensible way to aim at such ranges with open sights - and is only possible with a handgun.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks Baljit... I am a great fan of this guy :D

TC