Coorg Coconut Shooting Sports During Festival Puthari & Kail

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
rajitkg12
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Coorg Coconut Shooting Sports During Festival Puthari & Kail

Post by rajitkg12 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:50 am

Thenge Bodi Beppo/Coconut Shooting

Rules : Round Robin
Target: Coconut Wrapped In White Cloth
Gun Used: 0.22 or 12 bore AnyBrand
Target Kept: On A Tree Or On Ground Using Metal or wood Stand
Who Can Participste:Anyone Ladies Gents No Age Limit
License Required:Not Necessary
Ammo used: No Restriction
Should Carry Gun:Not Compulsory Can Barrow On Spot For Free
Price Amount:20k for a First Place
Distance Of Target:80mtrs on Ground 20 to 50 mtrs On Tree
Considered Clean Hit: When Water Pours Out
How Many Of Participate : More than 200 You Might Have To Wait For 1hrs For Your Turn Can Be Improved If It Gets Promotion FromGoverment
Organaised By: Local Village Or Town Clubs

Cause Encourage And Fun Shooting Sports In Coorg After Puthari Festival:

[youtube][/youtube]

For Advertising mail webmaster
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Coorg Coconut Shooting Sports During Festival Puthari &

Post by bennedose » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:57 pm

I love it. Wish I could take part! :D

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:46 pm

Sounds very very interesting !!
Wish I could be there..........

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

Rrahulkumar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rrahulkumar » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:31 pm

bennedose wrote:I love it. Wish I could take part! :D
:agree: :agree:

Cheers..!
RK

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:39 pm

Cool! I want to participate too.
It has been over 35 years since I was last in Coorg.
Some great memories of the place.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:04 am

That looked so much fun.Never knew that something like that existed.People should see this and learn that shooting sports even in their rustic form such as this one are not dangerous and great fun. Thank you for posting this.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:18 am

Sounds like a variation to an old German shooting game, where a large wooden bird mounted on a high pole was shot at. The largest chunk shot off the bird winning the match.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:23 am

Many thanks for sharing this interesting tradition rajitkg12 - great fun! :D

Some additional information about the festival from here http://coorgrecipes.com/the-keil-murtha ... -festival/
THE KEIL MURTHA (KEIL PODH) FESTIVAL

In earlier times, the headman of the village, together with people in his ‘nad ’, consulted with the astrologer, the auspicious day for the celebration of Kailpodh (the festival of arms). Today, it is celebrated, in the first week of September, mostly on September 3. It is similar to the Ayudha Puja (Worship of arms) that is celebrated in South India.

By the end of August, farmers have transplanted their paddy, and the first ears of paddy appear on the stalks in the fields. It is time to celebrate and prepare for the next season. Agricultural tools, are cleaned and put away, and weapons are brought out in preparation for the hunting season. On the morning of Kailpodh , family guns and other weapons like odikathis, pice kattis , are brought to a central room, cleaned and oiled. At the auspicious time given by the astrologer, incense is burned, and sandalwood paste is placed as a dot on each piece. A ‘tok puv’ (flower) is placed in the muzzle of each gun and ritual offering of the food cooked for the afternoon meal (usually kadambuttu, steamed broken rice cakes and pork curry with liquor) is placed on a banana leaf and placed near the weapons. Then it is time for the grand feast.

In the early evening, male members of the family assemble in front of the weapons. The eldest member reciting a verse, which calls for caution and faith in God, hands over the weapon to the next senior member, who takes his blessing by touching his feet, and he does the same, to younger male members of the family.

The men then go to the village mand (green) to take part in ‘coconut shooting’. The village head usually fires the first shot at the coconut tied high up on a tree. Earlier, this was a men’s preserve, today women also join in and many Coorg women are good shots. This practice of ‘coconut shooting’ is also a sport, at the Kodava Samaj meetings in most cities, allowing city dwellers to practice their shooting skills ! In the old days, there were running competitions, stone throwing, akin to shot put, and the cutting of banana stumps planted in a row, to test the efficiency of newly cleaned knives.

After the festival, at the time fixed by the astrologer, the village youth set out on a hunt. There are rules for dividing the game that is shot. The man who shoots an animal first, even if he doesn’t kill the animal, is given the head, thigh and shoulder meat – in addition to a share from the general pool. The person who touches the wounded animal first is also given some shoulder meat. Dogs taken on the hunt get their share too, even though it is given to the master, though bitches have no share!

Coorg festivals are celebrations of thanksgiving. As the compiler of ‘Pattole Palame’ folklore book mentions, Kailpodh is a ‘Muhurta’ for the paddy bearing stalk (Kail).
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

rajitkg12
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rajitkg12 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:58 am

Thanks for all the interesting reply fellow members Coconut shooting is very old sport existed in Coorg during temple annual festival in each village and after and during Puthari & Kailpodh Festival As My Dad and family Elder says when it was for ritual and fun recent days youths and some clubs were taking it for little further interducing new competition level rules and announcing price hope it will get better recognition and taken all over India thanks again lovey reply

rajitkg12
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Coorg Coconut Shooting Sports During Festival Puthari & Kail

Post by rajitkg12 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:45 pm

Dear All,

I am back after long time to forum ,We have some encouraging improvement on the sports over the period of time as hunting is banned in india gun Shooting sports events are helping generations to be a gun enthusiast good news is that recent time we have good video footage.

As my topic heading gun competition event is not only held on festival seasons. Its held through out the year most of the new associations are coming forward on organizing one

Please find some viseo link

Some more you an search in yt

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:08 pm

I can see a Stallion semi auto shotgun. Can anyone give a detailed review of it. Let us encourage our Indian Arms makers. by this they will improve. Jai Hind.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:38 am

Revisiting the Coorgi Coconut Shoot! What grand fun and celebration! :clap:

Thanks for the links to these videos rajitkg12.

Now, all we need to add to the mix is some Khoday's or Old Monk XXX Rum! :lol: :cheers:

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:38 am

OOOh, CK!
Don't bring that up.
I think it was in 1979, at the Navy Ball in Mumbai, that I got so sick on Old Monk..... that I have never been able to drink rum again.
Even thinking about it now makes me queasy. LOL
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:53 am

xl_target wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:38 am
OOOh, CK!
Don't bring that up.
I think it was in 1979, at the Navy Ball in Mumbai, that I got so sick on Old Monk..... that I have never been able to drink rum again.
Even thinking about it now makes me queasy. LOL
Sorry about that xl_target! :oops:

However, what I meant to share is my experience of amazing Coorgi hospitality.

Back in the mid-80's when I was motorcycling in the hills of Coorg, an almost practical stranger, a veterinarian, invited me into his home. The first thing he offered me was a glass of Rum. We had a great evening by the fireside with Pandi Curry and more rum. (y)

rajitkg12
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rajitkg12 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:31 am

@ xl_target & Ckkalyan,

Sir,

You Must Try Nelle Kalle/Battha Kalle a Koadava Scotch its an compleet form of malted wishky from paddy only one in whole world making with a unique process fermented over 45 days, But now suppressed by goverment on new excise act.

Even liquor aging process were followed in India by burying it under the ground Hmm we have less evidence, unless its word of mouth.

Scotish Officers Carried The Formula From Coorg And Made It Famous Under There Scotish Umbrella hmmmm....Serious accusation or Conspiracy.

Its been told that Kodava elders had only revealed half formula to british, intelligent.

Even one of the former buisness men related to one of the top Minister wanted to make it on distilleries again same old trick half formula failed attempts.

A cullture is compleets when they have there own food drink dress folk goverment should give permission to make it on there home for there personal use because a community is out numbered on population goverment should not suppress there tradition.

If a tribe is little dominant iand quick n his socio economic growth goverment or people can't denie the fact that he is beeing tribe.A tribe can also be king in is dominant region.

Sorry raised some socio political issue.Most of the traditiona burried without knowing out of the world if we don't share it.

Well Nelle Kalle/Battha Kalle Go's Very well With Pandi Kari please try if you are visiting coorg next time hmm If you can find some.