Elbow bruising in prone position

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Viratshah
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Elbow bruising in prone position

Post by Viratshah » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:38 am

Hello IFGers,
Need some advice from you pros out there.
I'm training for prone position for an upcoming club match and I'm quite new. My elbow feels like its getting bruised, like the skin is literally being peeled. The inside of shooting jackets made of canvas offer no padding and wearing even a fairly thick tshirt doesn't stop it from making the skin on my elbow really feel it. Am I doing something wrong or will my elbow just get used to it with time. My coach says this is absolutely normal but I can't imagine staying in that position for 60 minutes. It feels like the skin on my elbow will peel off. Can I stick on some band aids or does my position need work.
PS: I'm 5' 10" and about 115 kilos, so I'm quite overweight. (Don't know if that matters).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Elbow bruising in prone position

Post by sa_ali » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Try wearing fleece outer on top of full sleeve tshirt and then wear a jacket. That will help, but yea eventually the skin will harden off.
I remember 1st big bore i shoot without tshirt and both my elbows were totally peeled off and it took more than a month to heal up. But now with fleece and gradual time increase it will be fine. Now i dont get bruised even after 2 hrs.

Viratshah
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Viratshah » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Is something like this legal to wear for competitions? Also, do you think this would belp instead of a jacket?
I tend to perspire a lot and a jacket would just make me feel extremely hot and sweaty.Image

Viratshah
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Viratshah » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks for all the advise. The elbow bruising got a lot better now. I guess my elbow just got used to it in a couple days. Now staying in prone for 30 minutes or so is quite bearable.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 am

Yep, I am not sure on the elbow band if thats legal