Aatmanirbhar Bharat

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Aatmanirbhar Bharat

Post by Mr.Shome » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:09 am

Dear All,

Heard some noises about renowned global gunmakers coming to India. Surprisingly, none of them (if they at all can) manufacture atleast basic sports pistols and other sports weapons. The point is, our country is ready to pay billions for ornamental Russian missiles etc., which will thankfully never be used (read kickbacks)...but most of our infantry soldiers (read sacrificial goats) still carry the unwieldy INSAS.... I'm only trying to say that we need many changes (I didn't intend to make a political post).

Yes, a few thousand practical rifles have been ordered from the US to fire our patriotism, when our boys get killed....(doesn't makes m business sense for the powers that be)

Sorry for rambling, I am sure that we can have a healthyf irearm culture and we do have the talent to produce good weapons (for sports, self defense.... infinity).... perhaps ....but hopefully. Our new Aatmanirbhar Bharat will encourage domestic production....

Warm Regards everyone.
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

For Advertising mail webmaster
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Aatmanirbhar Bharat

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:25 am

If the govt.takes years to clear licenses to manufacture, you will not have this self reliance.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:09 pm

Latest entrant for the Indian armed forces ‘hunger games’is carbines made in UAE...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 pm

Acquiring a license for manufacturing is a long and arduous process. Some companies, namely, 1 in particular working on civilian arms, I wonder how they satisfied all the license criterion. :mrgreen:

Even those who have got a license, it is not commercially viable to manufacture arms or ammo if they dont have volumes. Civilian's form a very small portion, with a very small market size.

The negative list, has the 7.62x51 Bolt Action and the 7.62x39 Assault Rifle, the hopeful finalization will see the AK being made in India at $1100/- a piece, if media reports are to be believed.

So anyone making 7.62x39 other than the Govt is going to be left holding the Baby. PRL now with equity owned by the Adani's has a legup in small arms on almost all the Private sector manufacturers.

Even if India starts making for exports, it will take a decade of trials before other countries take anything coming from India seriously. It is a grim situation.

So while licenses will be granted, getting orders, is going to be a challenge for small private players. Reduction of license, for civilians has also curtailed the market.

The demand for Ammo from the Defense is there, but other than loading, I dont think, it is commercially viable for Private sector companies without deep pockets to make the many different kind of ammo "end to end" with current requirements.

I see more confusion, and after speaking to some of the people granted licenses, I understand their frustrations.

I am all for Atmanirbhar, but private sector needs a lot more than just words, they need orders
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:29 am

Dear Pistorera,

You made very relevant wondlerful observations. Unfortunately, my phone is almost dead.... I mean, I had posted a humble answer to your points, but my phone is troubling me.

Best regards
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:29 am

pistolero wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 pm

..............I am all for Atmanirbhar, but private sector needs a lot more than just words, they need orders
Great post, Pistolero.

lasershark
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lasershark » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 pm

pistolero wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 pm
Acquiring a license for manufacturing is a long and arduous process. Some companies, namely, 1 in particular working on civilian arms, I wonder how they satisfied all the license criterion. :mrgreen:

Even those who have got a license, it is not commercially viable to manufacture arms or ammo if they dont have volumes. Civilian's form a very small portion, with a very small market size.

The negative list, has the 7.62x51 Bolt Action and the 7.62x39 Assault Rifle, the hopeful finalization will see the AK being made in India at $1100/- a piece, if media reports are to be believed.

So anyone making 7.62x39 other than the Govt is going to be left holding the Baby. PRL now with equity owned by the Adani's has a legup in small arms on almost all the Private sector manufacturers.

Even if India starts making for exports, it will take a decade of trials before other countries take anything coming from India seriously. It is a grim situation.

So while licenses will be granted, getting orders, is going to be a challenge for small private players. Reduction of license, for civilians has also curtailed the market.

The demand for Ammo from the Defense is there, but other than loading, I dont think, it is commercially viable for Private sector companies without deep pockets to make the many different kind of ammo "end to end" with current requirements.

I see more confusion, and after speaking to some of the people granted licenses, I understand their frustrations.

I am all for Atmanirbhar, but private sector needs a lot more than just words, they need orders
Yes, well said. The government needs to support domestic companies get off ground.