Regarding Glock's .22 for sports

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Regarding Glock's .22 for sports

Post by Mr.Shome » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:34 am

Hello Everyone,
A question regarding this .22 from Glock has been biting me. Simply put, does it meets the requirements of participating in sporting events? I simply need relevant answers regarding its adherence to sports in India, and not expert advice about its merits or demerits.

Apologies in advance, if this post ruffles any feathers. Posted this message largely to know whether the time and effort would be worth it to obtain this pistol for sports.

Warm regards,
PShome
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

For Advertising mail webmaster
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Regarding Glock's .22 for sports

Post by marksman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:05 pm

No, it does not. It comes in category of informal target shooting and "plinking" tin cans, plastic bottles, reactive targets and maybe small pests like mice, Bandicoots etc. No issues if you consider all this as sport. You may invite trouble if you discharged it within city limits as its classified as a fire arm.

Marksman

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:03 pm

PShome, there’s no reason why a genuine question should ruffle any feathers. You will have to be more specific in your questions though. If you refer to whether it is ISSF compliant for rim fire events, I think it should be. There are free pistol events that have very limited restrictions on the type of .22 semi auto pistol you can use. I don’t shoot ISSF events so my knowledge on the details is very sketchy.

You were very specific in stating that you’re not looking for inputs on suitability of the G44 to these events so I’ll not offer my advice there.

If you were referring to any other sports(non ISSF) that I’m not aware of then you’ll need to provide that information so members can respond.

Cheers
SS

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:45 am

Gentlemen, thank you for these invaluable inputs.

Perhaps, my question was not too clear. I mean, as a newbie, I am looking for a personal pocket-friendly weapon, which will meet the requirements of 25-metre standard pistol events at the district and state levels. Investing in a proper Sports Pistol that costs a fortune will perhaps happen (if at all) at a much later stage. Unfortunately, club pistols simply don't cut it....although, due to Covid-19, I haven't been to my club in a long while.

@AgentDoubleS

Yes, it was an honest question but felt that it sounded a tad bit rude, regarding my line about seeking relevant answers and not expert advice, hence the reference to ruffling feathers.... :stupid:

I will be more than delighted if you share your advice, whenever you have some time at hand. Initial goal is to continue with the baby steps and later figure out the bigger picture.

Warm regards,

PShome
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:56 am

I had a similar question a while back before I got into sports shooting. So, I may be of service. ISSF pistol specifications are notorious for their laundry list of rules. But the long and short of the rules for rimfire and centerfire pistol goes something like this -

The pistol must weigh 1400 grams max.
The trigger pull must be 1000 grams min.
The barrel must be 6 inches in length max.
The pistol must fit in a box measuring 300X150X50 mm.

Aside from these, the Indian rules add a few statements as well -

The pistol must have adjustable rear sights.
It must have an adjustable match grip.
It must have an adjustable match trigger.

I'd reckon the Glock 44 will check each of the ISSF requirements and one of the Indian ones (you can get adjustable rear sights for Glocks). However, the Indian requirements are for an import permit. Whether pistols that do not conform to them will be allowed to be purchased in India under the sports quota and also be allowed in competitions is another story.

There are other requirements too like the pistol grip shouldn't touch any part of the wrist and the center of the bore axis must pass over the web of the holding hand. The Glock's good on these too. See attached doc for more on this.

Now, the main question is, can you actually buy a Glock 44 under sports quota? I really see no reason why you can't. However, if the authorities will permit it is the key question. They often have their own interpretations of rules and success here may depend upon who you end up dealing with.

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:40 am

Thanks for the excellent post Partheus.

PShome, the Glocks in general are very capable semi auto handguns but for a very specific purpose - the biggest advantage being reasonable cost, low maintenance and simplicity and reliability of operation. Though it could be argued more handguns sold in the US fall in that category than not.

Coming specifically to the G44, in my view this is a handgun meant for only one purpose- plinking. It’ll serve that purpose really well but the limitations (and rigidity) of the hardware will become very obvious the moment it is put up in an ISSF style event.The trigger is too heavy and spongy, the ergonomics are all wrong for single handed shooting, the sights will need to be upgraded and it is not a question of ‘if’ it will jam but ‘when’. I’ve shot Glocks and own one, although not a G44. I’ve also shot some very well made Sig Sauer 1911, Walthers etc in .22 which are great to shoot. Even fine .22 pistols like that cannot match up to sport or free pistols used in ISSF events when it comes to competition capability. These are my personal observations. At the end of the day, shooting with a sub optimal score is any day better than not shooting at all but you should take that decision with the right expectation.

Cheers,
SS

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:55 am

Thanks SS. I agree with you. The Glock isn't ideal for ISSF style events. That being said, I understand where the op is coming from. Part of the reason to get into competitions is to hone specific life skills that we may have to call upon. From this perspective, competing with a Glock that you are going to be counting on to defend yourself with makes way more sense than using a highly specific firearm like say, a Pardini or Walther GSP which are great for competing but practically useless for self-defense.

My suggestion here is, get in touch with your state rifle association and ask them if Glocks are permissible in state events. I have seen all kinds of pistols being used, from revolvers to service weapons, so, I don't think it should be an issue though.

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Thanks a lot for such detailed and highly educative information. Very helpful indeed.

Warm regards.

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:17 pm

I am not a sportsman but this thread is a good read.

Regards.

Raj Khalid
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Raj Khalid » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:29 pm

Any .22 lr cal pistol which fits in the specified box for ISSF Standard Pistol and has a trigger of AT LEAST 1000 gms is legal to shoot ISSF Standard Pistol.
So YES if the Glock fits in the box you can get it approved for a match at equipment control

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:02 am

Raj Khalid wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:29 pm
Any .22 lr cal pistol which fits in the specified box for ISSF Standard Pistol and has a trigger of AT LEAST 1000 gms is legal to shoot ISSF Standard Pistol.
So YES if the Glock fits in the box you can get it approved for a match at equipment control
No words to thank for your priceless words... Thank you, and my heartiest regards to you for this post.

Carry on boss.

Love,

Shome

dsen
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dsen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:57 pm

Mr.Shome wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:34 am
Hello Everyone,
A question regarding this .22 from Glock has been biting me. Simply put, does it meets the requirements of participating in sporting events? I simply need relevant answers regarding its adherence to sports in India, and not expert advice about its merits or demerits.

Apologies in advance, if this post ruffles any feathers. Posted this message largely to know whether the time and effort would be worth it to obtain this pistol for sports.

Warm regards,
PShome
One word answer: YES!

The Glock 44 meets all the criteria for a 25M Standard Pistol event pistol. Don't expect to attain MQS with it but atleast you'll be able to participate in the thrill of sports pistol shooting without burning a hole in your wallet with a used 4.5 lakh used Pardini SP. CMT-Glock 44 will be priced around 1.5L by the way.

For more info on G44 use in 25m pistol event watch this video:

CMT wouldn't put it up on their website without doing thorough research. Read the answer to Question 8: https://www.cmtpl.com/faq

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:24 pm

After elections in Tamil Nadu are over there is a chance that made in india glock photo will be posted on site.
And other information will come mostly in after 15 May regarding purchase, dealers , price .
Just wait for 1 month all the picture will be clear .

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:50 pm

dsen wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:57 pm
Mr.Shome wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:34 am
Hello Everyone,

Warm regards,
PShome
One word answer: YES!

The Glock 44 meets all the criteria for a 25M Standard Pistol event pistol. Don't expect to attain MQS with it but atleast you'll be able to participate in the thrill of sports pistol shooting without burning a hole in your wallet with a used 4.5 lakh used Pardini SP. CMT-Glock 44 will be priced around 1.5L by the way.

For more info on G44 use in 25m pistol event watch this video:

CMT wouldn't put it up on their website without doing thorough research. Read the answer to Question 8: https://www.cmtpl.com/faq
Thank you for sharing these incisive insights. Keep them coming.

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:51 pm

sourabhsangale wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:24 pm
After elections in Tamil Nadu are over there is a chance that made in india glock photo will be posted on site.
And other information will come mostly in after 15 May regarding purchase, dealers , price .
Just wait for 1 month all the picture will be clear .
Yes, let's wait and watch, how things shape up.