Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by pistolero » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi Hemant,

I was just being light hearted on CSS :D

Brings back great memories though!! Would never have thought back then that you would go into coaching :)

Love reading your posts, how I wish I could be back in training again.

some more names from my end :D

Precision Shooting Academy

Accuracy Academy/ (Accuracy Precision Consistency)

Gold Quest Club??

All the best! I wish you the greatest of success in your endeavor!!

Regards,
Pistolero
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

For Advertising mail webmaster
major
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by major » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:41 am

Dear Guruji and all,

I am back here after a long time, as I was undergoing training at Officers Training Academy. I have started doing holding exercises in the night. I hope to represent Northern Command in the upcoming Gen J J Singh shooting competition. It's truly a great feeling to start shooting again which I can't express in words.

Regards,
major

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:59 am

major wrote: Dear Guruji and all,
I am back here after a long time, as I was undergoing training at Officers Training Academy. I have started doing holding exercises in the night. I hope to represent Northern Command in the upcoming Gen J J Singh shooting competition. It's truly a great feeling to start shooting again which I can't express in words.
Regards,
major
> Bravo Major :clap:
> Best wishes for JJ Singh Shooting Competition :D
Briha

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:56 pm

How about "SHOOTING" for SHivam Online & Onsite Training INstitute in Guns
1. Name it after your son
2. You plan to make your course online and onsite (Balewadi) anyway
3. You hold on to the flexibility of introducing Rifle coaching too, at a later date without any modification to the name/ logo etc.
AGN
Yes! This appeals to me can we discuss this more in detail.
4. Name it after the primal 'kirit' archer who's defeated and humbled even the great Arjun. (MOIN-> Nothing to do with Kirit Somaiyya of BJP ROTFL )
ROTFL
Moin dont take this personally please, its just that AGN has a whacky sense of humma.
5. Bonus: In 4. What it would symbolize (work the logo likewise <= "SA") 2 eyes focusing with the third eye in the center, all aligned in a perfect Sight Picture. Yet the center (front sight in a pistol) is of immense importance in shooting and also in enlightenment (adnya chakra)
Can you be so kind enough to enlighten us further on this, extremely interesting, I say Saar!

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Dear hvj1 guruji,

Moin is a dear kid bro and has a keen sense of humor akin to his sharpies. :-) Anyway, first 3 points are straight and simple. Now the logo part - design should look like a trishul but with all the shools of same height (like SA) and the central shool holds atop a solid circle - in short, the foresight is at 6 o'clock. If the trishul be black, the circle (bullseye) be vermillon. Now the shools of the sides curve inwards and then are usually bend outwards. In this case they go straight up and then "bend" (rather "blend" :-) ) into two eyes, thus making the bullseye circle the seat of enlightenment, the developed adnya chakra. The central shool, does not stay a shool but flatens out like the foresight.

Additional art can me made to look either like a pistol or target or similar to ISSF symbol that's been adapted by quite a few Indian shooting entities. Sorry drawing etc. mein "apun ka shorthand hai" otherwise I would have drawn and whatsapped across. :-( But any graphic designer worth his certificate ought to do more details to my despcription above. Finally have the lady shooter in the household look at it too - none a man can surpass a woman in sense of aesthetics. ;-) Hope I have been of some help.

regs
A.
PS: Might I add, the same Trishul can be artistically turned into "H" and "I" of SHIVAM, while retaining the rest. Or have that vermillon solid circle designed as inner of #7 ring. As they say in arts, sky is the limit. :-)

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Wow! Superb, got me thinking overtime mate. (watching too much australia-India matches)

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:44 pm

Guruji, Any forward movement on the artwork etc. ? regs, A.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 am

Dear Guruji, dear friends,

First of all I wish you all a very very happy new year 2015. May your dilligence and determination lead you to the path of excellence!

I am really sorry for such a long silence... a bit more busy with life, a bit off shape may be... I do not know. I have not shot much this season, suffering from a shoulder tendon problem. Will rest for another month before taking up the FP.

I am overwhelmed with the idea of the shooting academy. I second the ideas of my bade bhai agn. Excellent idea of the logo; the trishul and the third eye concept... superlative!!!

best regards
tirpassion

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Welcome back, Tir.
Kshitij and Ankesh dropped in today and we had a wonderful couple of sessions. Reminded me of the session with you.
AGN, Brihaji is working on it. I personally I am trying to find the time to flesh out the website.
BR

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Philosophy, Vision, Mission Statement,objectives and Lotus emblem significance of the Shooting Academy

Philosophy:

At Lotus Shooting Academy, we subscribe to the following ‘philosophy’;

There is a reason why we take birth, a reason why we are given the gift of ‘life’ on this planet. Most of us live our lives without understanding or finding the meaning of our lives, and why we are given this wonderful gift of ‘life’ by God. In order to understand the reason and meaning of life, we must answer the following question:

Why do we face problems in life?

To answer this question, let us define what a ‘problem’ is.

We face a problem when we don’t get what we want.

For example the child at birth cries, because it wants the soothing comfort of the mother’s womb.
An employee wants to achieve his sales target for the day, if for some reason he cannot do so, then the employee gets depressed and faces a ‘problem’.

A boy is unhappy because the girl next door rejects his love for her. The boy is facing a problem situation He wants the girl to reciprocate his love, but she doesn’t.

So we face a problem when we don’t get what we want.

And what are these so called ‘wants’, they are nothing but ‘desires’, there is no end to desires so long as we live. Because from the time we are born (we take up a body) to the time we die (we give up our body) there is no escape from our desires. Desires and wants are part and parcel of our bodies, unfulfilled desires/wants lead to problems.

So is God a sadist? Does he get some perverse pleasure in watching us squirm when our our desires our unfulfilled leading us to mental agony?

No! On the contrary it is quite the opposite. There is a logical reason why we are born with our bodies with desires embedded in them. This can best be explained by a simple example;

Assume that you are sitting in your room reading a book which you are enjoying immensely. Suddenly! The room is engulfed in darkness since the only bulb lighting up the room is fused. You are now facing a small problem. You want ‘light’ so that you can continue enjoying the book, but the bulb is fused. The problem can be fixed quite easily, all you have to do, is to replace the bulb with a new one.

Assuming that you have a bulb handy, you set about changing the old bulb with the new. Now you face another small problem! The bulb which you wish to change, is out of the reach of your outstretched hand because you are not tall enough. So what do you do next?

You pull a table or chair, climb on it and change the bulb, problem solved. You can now go back to enjoying your book.

But hold on! What did you just do to solve your problem? You overcame the limitations of your height and reach by raising yourself from the level of the floor to that of the chair/table. Isn’t this how we solve all our problems in life?

Usually, the things that we want in life, be they material, emotional, physical, spiritual are almost always out of our reach, just like the fused bulb. To get what we want/desire, we must constantly raise our level of functioning to overcome our limitations, like in the example above.

A student of Class Ninth, has to spend a year of studies to pass the Class Xth exam. He has to raise his ‘knowledge’ level from that of the ninth grade to the tenth.

Similarly, a couple who wish to buy a new car, initially may not have enough money to buy one, so the wife decides to solve the problem, by taking up a part time job, which enables them to get the extra finance to pay off the loan from a bank which enables them to buy the car of their choice.

Similarly a shooter wishing to improve his performance has to learn and master, a set of skills which enables him to perform better.

So, when you want something, it could be material, emotional, physical, spiritual, you have to constantly raise your intellectual level, financial level, skill levels etc in order to get what you want. And when you do so, you evolve from one level to the other, you evolve to be a better person that you were before.

That is why, God has placed desires and wants within us, so that we constantly strive to raise our levels of functioning, financially, spiritually, physically, mentally. To continuously evolve to being better and better beings.

This is the meaning why God has given us this gift of life. And that is why we face problems in life.

This is the philosophy which we subscribe to at Lotus Shooting Academy. That life is all about evolving and raising our levels constantly.

How this philosophy, shapes our attitude?

There are two ways of looking at problems in life- You may choose to ignore and or avoid them, because you want to avoid the effort you need to take to overcome them. OR you may choose to accept them and face them squarely and positively.

If you embrace this philosophy as we do, then it defines the way you look at life, in short it defines your attitude towards life. Because you accept, that problems and limitations are part and parcel of our lives and the only way to overcome your problems, is to accept them and face them squarely, positively.

How this philosophy helps you to reduce problems in your lives?

When you set goals for yourself, you are like the driver of a car, travelling late night to reach your destination (goal). The headlights of the car, illuminate the road to his destination. With the help of his car’s headlights, the driver overcomes the problems in his journey, by avoiding fallen branches, pit holes, wild animals and people that suddenly cross his path.

The driver in the car ignores all that is not illuminated in his path. So also, when you set goals for yourself in life, you traverse the journey of your life, illuminated by the light of knowledge, focusing on overcoming only those problems which you are bound to face along the journey.

You thereby expend your precious resources (time, energy, money) only on those obstacles that need to be overcome. For example, the person who comes back home after a long hard day in office, he needs to finish his dinner early so that he can work late night on an important presentation which he has to deliver in office next day. The outcome of the presentation could help him to get a promotion.

But what if he sits down to listen to the gossip, provided by his wife, on the latest ‘happenings’ in their building. Gossip about who has bought a new car, or whose son is having an affair with whose daughter in the building, or what shopping their neighbor’s have done on their oversees holiday in Singapore? Obviously if he chooses to waste his time, trying to compete with the Joneses, then he is not going to do justice to his presentation and can probably kiss his promotion goodbye.

In shooting also, a shooter is constantly trying to reach the goal of shooting a ‘10’ in each and every shot. To do so, he has to master a set of skills which will enable him to shoot a ‘10’ and then learn further skills which help him to repeat the maximum number of ‘10’s in a match.

But shooting as a sport can be extremely harsh. The target is like a ‘looking glass’. At the end of the match, the targets reflect your performance. If you have shot badly, then only YOU yourself are to blame and not the shooter on the neighboring firing point. The shooter has to learn to accept his own limitations, he has to develop a positive attitude, that failure is temporary and that he can take many positive takeaways which he can then dovetail in a better training program. This brings us to the Vision, Mission Statement and the Lotus Shooting Academy.

Our Vision:

We at Lotus Shooting Academy, visualize a world comprising of human beings who have evolved from ordinary mortals to individuals who bring high value, not only to their own lives and immediate families but also to society at large. We therefore use the sport of ‘pistol Shooting’ as a medium for developing such individuals.

Our Mission:

Our mission is to provide a ‘holistic’ training program which develops the whole person, not only technically but also at the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual level. Holistic training is necessary because human beings are multi-dimensional. We have conscious and unconscious aspects, rational and irrational aspects. We are a body-mind, not just intellectual, but we are emotional, blessed with instincts and intuition. And we have to use all of these resources to produce extra ordinary performance.

Our objectives:

Firstly, to make our holistic training program so affordable that the maximum number of people can avail of it.

Secondly, to provide support via online, group coaching sessions and one-on-one personal coaching, enabling the true seeker of knowledge and those willing to put in the time and effort an opportunity to carve out for themselves a niche in society.

Finally, Why we call ourselves as the Lotus Shooting Academy?

The Lotus flower grows in muddy water and it is this environment that gives the flower’s first and most literal meaning: rising and blooming above the murk to achieve enlightenment. So also, our philosophy cultivates the attitude and goals so important to rise from a lower level to a higher level.

The second meaning, which is related to the first, is ‘purification’. It resembles the spirit which is born into murkiness. This process of ‘purification’ is achieved through our ‘holistic’ training program.

The third and final meaning refers to the ‘faithfulness’. Those who are willing to rise above the muddy waters will need to be faithful followers. The term ‘willing’ refers to those who ready to accept all obstacles in their path leading to their goals. To be faithful means to be self-disciplined enough to adhere to the tenets of the ‘holistic’ training program.

kishorbhagwat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kishorbhagwat » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:10 pm

Dear Sir,

I am new to this site. I just went thro threads. Found that you are starting a training program of various levels. I am interested in intermediate training for the pistol shooting. If you have started anything, please let me know. I keen to join it.

Thanks.
Kishor

kishorbhagwat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by kishorbhagwat » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:35 pm

I am new to the shooting..........can anyone explain what is figure 8 exercise???

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:03 am

hvj1 wrote:
Our Vision:
We at Lotus Shooting Academy, visualize a world comprising of human beings who have evolved from ordinary mortals to individuals who bring high value, not only to their own lives and immediate families but also to society at large. We therefore use the sport of ‘pistol Shooting’ as a medium for developing such individuals.

Our Mission:
Our mission is to provide a ‘holistic’ training program which develops the whole person, not only technically but also at the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual level. Holistic training is necessary because human beings are multi-dimensional. We have conscious and unconscious aspects, rational and irrational aspects. We are a body-mind, not just intellectual, but we are emotional, blessed with instincts and intuition. And we have to use all of these resources to produce extra ordinary performance.

Our objectives:
Firstly, to make our holistic training program so affordable that the maximum number of people can avail of it.

Secondly, to provide support via online, group coaching sessions and one-on-one personal coaching, enabling the true seeker of knowledge and those willing to put in the time and effort an opportunity to carve out for themselves a niche in society.

Finally, Why we call ourselves as the Lotus Shooting Academy?
The Lotus flower grows in muddy water and it is this environment that gives the flower’s first and most literal meaning: rising and blooming above the murk to achieve enlightenment. So also, our philosophy cultivates the attitude and goals so important to rise from a lower level to a higher level.

The second meaning, which is related to the first, is ‘purification’. It resembles the spirit which is born into murkiness. This process of ‘purification’ is achieved through our ‘holistic’ training program.

The third and final meaning refers to the ‘faithfulness’. Those who are willing to rise above the muddy waters will need to be faithful followers. The term ‘willing’ refers to those who ready to accept all obstacles in their path leading to their goals. To be faithful means to be self-disciplined enough to adhere to the tenets of the ‘holistic’ training program.
hvj1

Hi hvj1,
> Am back after a 10 day hiatus during which time I had no access to a computer to get my daily dose of inspiration, enlightenment & participation from the IFG forum:D
> After logging in today the first post I saw was yours....
> Believe me when I say that the Vision, Mission & the rationale behind "Lotus Academy" are statements that can come only out of a person who is a Hop, Step & Jump away from attaining Nirvana :D
> I appreciate your commitment, dedication & perseverance in pursuing a deep seated passion to share, guide & encourage all those who want to sharpen their shooting skills & even those who aspire to 'cut their milk teeth' in this glorious pursuit....
> May the Lotus bloom and spread its wisdom now & in the days, months and years ahead!!!!
:cheers:
Briha

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Thank you Brihaji.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting Post by hvj1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:02 amPhilosophy, Vision, Mission Statement,objectives and Lotus emblem significance of the Shooting Academy
Wow...quite amazing thoughts hvj1 I love it! I wish you all good fortune! All the very best! :D :clap:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!