Tips on Pistol Shooting

All shooting sports - ISSF/ IPSC/ HFT/ Sporting Clays etc.
kishorbhagwat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:51 am

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by kishorbhagwat » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks a lot.
After monitoring my shots found that shots which I used to hold for long time before firing getting affected. So I am practicing to cancel non-confident shots instead of trying it in same shot.

For Advertising mail webmaster
User avatar
tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:40 am
Location: Paris

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by tirpassion » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Dear Sir, dear friends,

A few words after a long silence. No, i have not achieved anything great :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Just my humble tribute to Guruji.

Sir, with your blessings, a 12 yr old boy (one i am following/guiding since 5 months now) in our club has scored 342/400 in AP in the regionals and has been ranked 2nd in his category out of 47 shooters. He will go to the Nationals :D . My first taste of pleasure in shooting as a non shooter. It is terribly great!!!

To celebrate, I invited all my 4 students to shoot with my Manurhin MR73 revolver yesterday, with 38 spl bullets. They had a gala time.

thanks again for your guidance.

warm regards from Paris

tirpassion

User avatar
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 3112
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:33 pm
Location: mumbai

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by brihacharan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:24 pm

tirpassion wrote:Dear Sir, dear friends,

A few words after a long silence. No, i have not achieved anything great :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Just my humble tribute to Guruji.
Sir, with your blessings, a 12 yr old boy (one i am following/guiding since 5 months now) in our club has scored 342/400 in AP in the regionals and has been ranked 2nd in his category out of 47 shooters. He will go to the Nationals :D . My first taste of pleasure in shooting as a non shooter. It is terribly great!!!

To celebrate, I invited all my 4 students to shoot with my Manurhin MR73 revolver yesterday, with 38 spl bullets. They had a gala time.
thanks again for your guidance.
warm regards from Paris
tirpassion
Hi tir,
Congratulations on your noble achievement :cheering:
Its said that...
1. When you listen you learn 20%
2. When you read you learn + 20%
3. When you write you learn + 20%
4. When you teach what you have learnt (1+2+3) - You are 100% :D
Wish you a big success in your coaching venture!!!!
Briha

User avatar
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:15 pm
Location: Mumbai-Thane, India

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by airgun_novice » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Started some serious prax after a long long time.

1. Suddenly found trouble adjusting to 60 shots. 40 worked out OK eventually.
2. FT has taken a hit.
3. Fell back into the Calling routine rather soon.
4. Need to work on my TR. Inconsistent.
5. Eye finally has a "number" that matters. Didn't I just turn 25 ? ;-) Gotta get the specs made ASAP.
6. That elusive diplopia has returned with a big bang.
7. Changed the pistol grip geography. Added wood paste at some and filed off at other places. New geography = new history ? Only Time will Tell. :-)

To all who plan to participate in locals, zonals, gvm, nationals etc. good luck.

User avatar
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 3112
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:33 pm
Location: mumbai

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by brihacharan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:22 am

airgun_novice wrote:Started some serious prax after a long long time.

1. Suddenly found trouble adjusting to 60 shots. 40 worked out OK eventually.
2. FT has taken a hit.
3. Fell back into the Calling routine rather soon.
4. Need to work on my TR. Inconsistent.
5. Eye finally has a "number" that matters. Didn't I just turn 25 ? ;-) Gotta get the specs made ASAP.
6. That elusive diplopia has returned with a big bang.
7. Changed the pistol grip geography. Added wood paste at some and filed off at other places. New geography = new history ? Only Time will Tell. :-)
To all who plan to participate in locals, zonals, gvm, nationals etc. good luck.
AGN,
You seem to have woken up after a "Long Slumber" :D
Apparently your muscles have forgotten the "Co-ordinate Inputs" which you so assiduously put-in last year :D :D
Image
It's never too late - With your new eye-glasses & refurbished grip - things will shape up for the better....
Lage Raho!!!!
Briha

User avatar
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:15 pm
Location: Mumbai-Thane, India

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Thank you Brihji. That cartoon strip is good ! regs A.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an
Posts: 1366
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:05 am
Location: Satara

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Lage Raho!

User avatar
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:15 pm
Location: Mumbai-Thane, India

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by airgun_novice » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Dear Guruji et al,

A Qn cropped up - a tad late in AP shooting life. :oops: What/ How exactly are the running weights on air pistol barrel used for ?

I mean "balance" would be an answer of choice. But how exactly is the balance sought ? After all, the AP barrel does not extend to that an extent as the rifle's. Plus due to holding styles in AR and AP, the later has the disadvantage in that it (and the body) is by default off-balance and must be propped up by the shooter and muscle memory appropriately developed. So where exactly do(es) the barrel weight(s) figure in the grand scheme of things ? :?:

regs
A.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an
Posts: 1366
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:05 am
Location: Satara

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:33 pm

As far as my experience counts, I think barrel weight figures only in the mind, where AP is concerned.

User avatar
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 3112
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:33 pm
Location: mumbai

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by brihacharan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:56 am

hvj1 wrote:As far as my experience counts, I think barrel weight figures only in the mind, where AP is concerned.
This means a lot coming from an experienced & renowned shooter like you...hvj1 (y)
However some friends have been asking me....if adding muzzle brake would improve the 'barrel harmonics'???
Would appreciate your take on this!
Briha

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an
Posts: 1366
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:05 am
Location: Satara

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Wow! Now we are on barrel harmonics! :shock: The very little I know of barrel harmonics is that it comes into play when the subject of accuracy comes up. It figures heavily in rifles with long barrels as compared with handguns with shorter barrels. Roughly barrel harmonics is the square of the length of the barrel of the gun. In handguns it doesn't matter much even in firearms, where the propulsion velocity and gas pressures are very much higher than that of an air pistol.
But yes! Harmonics of the mind is far more germane to the issue of shooting accurately. :lol:

User avatar
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer
Posts: 3112
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:33 pm
Location: mumbai

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by brihacharan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:14 pm

hvj1 wrote:Wow! Now we are on barrel harmonics! :shock: The very little I know of barrel harmonics is that it comes into play when the subject of accuracy comes up. It figures heavily in rifles with long barrels as compared with handguns with shorter barrels. Roughly barrel harmonics is the square of the length of the barrel of the gun. In handguns it doesn't matter much even in firearms, where the propulsion velocity and gas pressures are very much higher than that of an air pistol.
But yes! Harmonics of the mind is far more germane to the issue of shooting accurately. :lol:
Hi hvj1,
Your explanation has cleared a lot of 'cobwebs' which I was fending for a longtime...Thanks!
Nevertheless....the highlighted statement is the icing on the cake of wisdom, which you ever so candidly & explicitly put it down to :D
Briha

User avatar
TheThirdEye
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by TheThirdEye » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:20 pm

I have just started to lear Air Pistol shooting. I purchased a local make Heman Mark3-0.22 pistol(spring).

I tried at a distance of 4 meter and 7 meter as a startup point and got the results "attached" to this mail along with the dimension of the target sheet and the sequential numbering for every shots.

Please give me your valuable input to improve my skill.

I also noticed that my pistol is not that accurate and reaches the target 2 inch above where my line of sight matching with the positioning guide on the pistol is. But keeping that into consideration, I always targeted 2 inch below where I would like to fire my mark.

I think I need to get one professional model with good accuracy. Please suggest me an Air pistol that can be used in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, INDIA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an
Posts: 1366
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:05 am
Location: Satara

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by hvj1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Hello Third Eye,
Welcome to our forum. The first thing you should do is buy a Steyr/Morini/Match Pistol if you are seriously interested in pursuing the sport of shooting. Otherwise, you will develop wrong habits and techniques which will take you years to overcome. Steyr delivers you guns with guarantee within a month or so at your doorstep. Google Steyr India and go through their portal.
All the best.

User avatar
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1138
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:15 pm
Location: Mumbai-Thane, India

Re: Tips on Pistol Shooting

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:02 am

hvj1 wrote:As far as my experience counts, I think barrel weight figures only in the mind, where AP is concerned.
Dhanyawad Guruji - regs, A.

Post Reply