IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Posts related to rifles.
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF 315 rifle and cartridge

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:34 am

ashokgodara wrote:hi dr jaykumar the price you bought is real one rs 70000 and it is real and the dealer is ready to purchase at 55000 then sell it.you can get brand new for these prices and +5000 you can get rifle made from trachuplly(grant me for spelling)which is good looking than callutta made and barrel is also heavy.its the best offer made by a dealer sell it if you are willing to purchase other bore if you want to stick with 315 then dont sell it because it would have ease out from firing and action would be more smooth than new one.you have lapped your rifle as it is done by firing or bench lapping my advise is dont sell if you want to purchase new 315 and sell if you are going for another bore thanks
thanks friend,
i sold my 315 and got a .22bsa sportman 5 shot.
will post some pics soon.
regards.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:18 am

hi dr congratulations on your new purchase post some pictures soon thanks

hornet
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:53 pm

either the quality has gone down in the recent years or becuase of lesser attention paid during the manufacturing or i was lucky to buy in it in imported stock in the year 1971 that is good 40 yrs from now.the gun has performed very accurately upto 500 meters or so i imagine.as hunting was banned i have never used it for hunting deer; but before that my count has been 100% ok.with it.never ever thought of selling it .people will not accept the fact that i was offered three times the price it is now by chance or the person was crazy .but as i had inherited it from my mom who is no more i had vowed never ever to sell;just imagine the look on potential buyers face .1.25lacs and i point blank told him no never;told him the reason. but now i know after seeing the latest models why it is real worth that.probably the the stock was an imported one.and these days we all know the price of the imp. guns in that calibre.a few cartridges of that time are still with me and they just fire very well. iclean it and oil it every year .looks are still like new.never seen a gunsmith. makes me wonder why people buy imported weapons it is now clear. quality cannot be beaten even by the best gunsmith.only my 12 bore walter locke requires bluing after about 70 yrs of manufacture. i still repent the the sale of my berreta pistol on insistance of a dear friend for 30k. imagine now buying an ashani for 1.60.six months back the same gunhouse is offering 2lacs for it.because it fires better and is kept well maintained. maintenence guys get you a good price always. that is the golden principle

sagar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sagar » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:41 am

Hello Members,
A participant won a bronze medal in 22nd AIGVMSC in Big Bore at Hyderabad with a stock IOF .315 Rifle and 8mm rounds from 'KF'.

Thanks

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:36 pm

holland.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:04 am

When the British prohibited the possession of .303 caliber rifles in the Sudan and India in the early 1900s, the British gunmakers could no longer sell what had been one of their more popular rifles for the colonial trade, a Lee-Enfield sporter in .303. Not everyone going to the colonies could afford a double rifle. Few in fact.

As a consequence they looked for a cartridge that could replace the .303, that the Lee-Enfield could readily be chambered for, and that would be comparable in pressure and performance. Luckily, the British ammunition makers already produced such a cartridge for export, the Austrian military's 8x50 R, known in Britain as the .315 Mannlicher. This cartridge is compatible with the Lee action, and slightly exceeds the .303's performance with a heavier bullet, 244 vs. 215 grains.

After independence it was only logical to retain the cartridge for hunting rifles produced by IOF, and it became the ".315 India" sometime in the 1960s.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Hello Two Rivers,

I have recently seen a Steyr .256 calibre bearing the name of Holland and Holland with a beautiful stock of English walnut. A really top class rifle.

I have not yet come across a .315 rifle by Holland and Holland. I have seen a couple of .315s bearing the BSA name. One of them seemed to be a rebadged IOF. It is surprising that there are so few British made .315s in India.

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:54 pm

I, too, would have expected them to be more common. They certainly were not unknown in Africa. Possibly most of the hunting in India would have been trophy hunting, whereas in Africa it would have been for the pot. Like its .303 predecessor, it was a working rifle. My guess.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:40 pm

TwoRivers wrote:I, too, would have expected them to be more common. They certainly were not unknown in Africa. Possibly most of the hunting in India would have been trophy hunting, whereas in Africa it would have been for the pot. Like its .303 predecessor, it was a working rifle. My guess.
It is surprising that rifles in the three British calibres most popular in India between the two World Wars, for which bolt action Mauser rifles were available in India, viz. the .280 Ross, the .318 Westley Richards Accelerated Express and the .404 Jeffery, are hardly ever seen on sale in the second hand market. This is all the more surprising when one sees a plethora of odd and unusual bores with dealers including such venerable ones as the .577-.450 Martini Henry.

Regards.

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:16 pm

http://indiansforguns.com/download/file.php?id=9557
The above link should be eye opener for those drawing room Tarzans and drawing room Michelangelos who constantly berate IOF 315 rifle. In terms of killing power up to 150 yards it is unbeatable in Indian context.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:43 pm

hks2056 wrote:http://indiansforguns.com/download/file.php?id=9557
The above link should be eye opener for those drawing room Tarzans and drawing room Michelangelos who constantly berate IOF 315 rifle. In terms of killing power up to 150 yards it is unbeatable in Indian context.
An eminently readable article. Mr. Rawat seems to have outperformed the legendary Jim Corbett by shooting 42 man eating leopards. His hunting skills combined with his prowess with the IOF .315 is amazing.

Keep the .315 flag flying, HKS!

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:31 am

Actually why doesn't one of you do a rifle review with a few groups. I had seen one long ago and had thought about it but practically a big bore didn't make sense for me.
No place to shoot or need to keep ferocious beasts at bay. So I have always been curious about it. Lots of people on the forum have one but don't write much about it, unlike the IOF revolver thread which is a franken thread on its own. ;-)
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:19 am

dev wrote:Actually why doesn't one of you do a rifle review with a few groups. I had seen one long ago and had thought about it but practically a big bore didn't make sense for me.
No place to shoot or need to keep ferocious beasts at bay. So I have always been curious about it. Lots of people on the forum have one but don't write much about it, unlike the IOF revolver thread which is a franken thread on its own. ;-)
What kind of a review do you have in mind, Dev?

Regards.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi,

Miroflex, a hundred meter group, a few pics of the rifle and few cartridges would do. See I am easy to please. ;-).

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Does anyone know what kind of powder is used in the 315 cartridges.
Thanks
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.