.44 win ammo

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Ash
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

.44 win ammo

Post by Ash » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi,friends just wanted to know are.44win and.44mag same ammo? Can both of them be used in a.44 mag revolver? Think they r same just wanted to double check it with u experts out there. If any one out there can also inform where can i find .44mag revolver ammo anywhere in india? (and I am not talking about44/40underlever or 44mag rifle)
I need ammo for .44mag revolver S&W . Would really appreciate if any one can help me in this regard Thanks Ash

For Advertising mail webmaster
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: .44 win ammo

Post by art_collector » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:20 pm

If it is not available in Lucknow I doubt you will find it any where else in India. Master importers are all located in Lucknow. What they can import no one in India can.

Ash
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Ash » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm

I talked to afriend and importer and checked the imports allowed it says .44 win allowed in rifle category. As far my understanding both mag and win r same and can be used in.44 mag revolver. Just wanted to double check it before asking him to import.
Every day above ground is a good day

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Ash: .44 Magnum and .44 Winchester, a.k.a. .44-40 are two totally different cartridges and can NOT be interchanged. The old .44-40 has a case of larger diameter, with a slight bottle neck, a slightly smaller groove diameter, and is loaded to much lower pressure than the .44 Magnum. While a .44 Magnum cartridge can conceivably be fired in a .44-40 chamber, it would be the height of ignorance and stupidity to do so.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:38 am

As far my understanding both mag and win r same
As Two Rivers notes above the are NOT the same and will not interchange. At any time, if you are not sure of the interchangeability of ammunition of different names.... don't use them. Firing an incorrect cartridge, in a firearm, could result in serious injury, dismemberment or even death. If your self preservation instincts are so nonexistent that you are willing to fire an incorrect cartridge in a firearm, please consider that the same injuries could occur to innocent bystanders.

[ur=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44-40_Winchesterl]From Wikipedia[/url]:
The .44-40 Winchester, also known as the .44 Winchester, the .44 WCF (Winchester Center Fire), and the .44 Largo (in Spanish speaking countries) was introduced in 1873 by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company
From Wikipedia
The .44 Remington Magnum, or simply .44 Magnum, is a large-bore cartridge originally designed for revolvers. After introduction, it was quickly adopted for carbines and rifles. Despite the ".44" designation, all guns chambered for the .44 Magnum case, and its parent case, the .44 Special, use bullets of approximately 0.429 in (10.9 mm) diameter
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

arjun401
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by arjun401 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:12 am

art_collector wrote:If it is not available in Lucknow I doubt you will find it any where else in India. Master importers are all located in Lucknow. What they can import no one in India can.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL I understand what you mean by that

arjun

Ash
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Ash » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:41 am

Thank you gentlemen for the information. I know this that 44/40 cannot be fired in 44 sw but in indian pretext the importer says that the ammo box should have markings of any sort that it is a rifle cartridge. As import of 44 is allowed in rifle category if not he says may be he will face problems. If any one can inform me wether 44 ammo can be imported under revolver category would be of great help. As far as 44/40 is considerd I have the rifle and cartridges both that would have solved my problem what I meant to ask was about win and mag r they the same thing meaning same ammo different company.friends I am just going to acquire a 44 mag sw 4inches black revolver mod 629 with just 30 rounds of hollow point ammo. Just don't wanna miss this opportunity due to lak of ammo. So please help me in searching for ammo in india I will pick it up from any where in the country. I think u people r best to under stand what does owning a 44 means in our country .
Every day above ground is a good day

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi ash,
Any updates on your purchase? pictures of the 44 mag revolver? If you have not bought it, maybe info can be posted here, I would be very interested in buying it if the condition is good.
Regards,
Anand

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:58 pm

While Winchester makes .44 Magnum ammo, they will be headstamped ".44 Magnum", or ".44 Remington Magnum". This cartridge is chambered in revolvers as well as rifles.
".44 Winchester", aka .44 WCF, or .44-40, was originally a black powder cartridge, it is also chambered in revolvers and rifles, has a slightly larger and bottle-necked case, and is loaded to much lower pressure. The two are not interchangeable.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:14 am

Hornady makes a "Leverolution" cartridge in 44 magnum that is listed for rifles if that can help your importer:

http://www.hornady.com/store/leverevolution
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by YogiBear » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 am

Aloha,

A S & W 629 is NOT blue steel. It is a Stainless gun.

Generally the 6 prefix is S & W way of cataloging stainless gun.

There are exceptions, Model 329 PD is a 44 magnum light weight scandium.

As far as shooting a Model 29 or 629, a steady diet of Magnum cartridges is not recommended.

The gun will loosen up faster than if shot with lighter 44 loads, such as 44 Special.

For the most part any S & W 44 magnum gun will last amost forever with a regular diet of 44 specials.

The 44 spl is a short version of the magnum. Just like the 38 spl and 357 mag.

As far a rifles, Winchester and Marlin make lever action guns in 44 magnum. Ruger, I think makes a 44

magnum bolt action rifle. Check their web site.

There are other companies that make great reproduction cowboy lever guns in 44 magnum.

Match the 38/357 next to a 44 spl/44 mag and you will see they are identical except for bullet diameter.

Also, the 44 is NOT a true 44 caliber, it is a .429 inch in diameter, unlike the 357 which is true .357.

If you want more information, go to the "Smith & Wesson forum", a diamond mine of almost anything guns.

Hope this helps.

lsa
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by lsa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:25 am

Hello dear friends
I 've been approaching different arms dealers regarding .44 -40 Winchester rifle model 92 (bullets), but nobody can help till now. Can anyone help me in this regards