Which imported .22 rifle should I get.

Posts related to rifles.
NivDhillon
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Which imported .22 rifle should I get.

Post by NivDhillon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Dear All,
I am moving to India from the UK and would like to bring a .22 rife under TR rules. I have already managed to get an NP bore license from my district -Pilibhit (UP).
I have the following 3 guns in mind but I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions and answer my questions.
1. Are these permitted. I am aware that in order to get a semi automatic .22 LR I will have to get a shooting club membership. Is that still the case.
2. Can I bring a magazine bigger than 10 rounds.
3. Is a sound modulator/suppressor allowed.

Ruger .22 take down
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html

Anschutz MSR RX22
http://www.anschuetz-msr.de/us/msr_rx22.html

Heckler & Koch 416
http://www.hk22rimfire.com/index.php?page=416-d145rs

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Which imported .22 rifle should I get.

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:56 pm

friend do you have any legal permission to import?
modulator's are illegal.
regards
dr.jk

NivDhillon
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by NivDhillon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 pm

HI Dr JK. Thanks for the information on modulators. Since I am changing my residence from UK to India I am allowed to bring a gun with me.
Please see extract from Indian Customs website.

http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

IMPORT OF FIRE ARMS

- Import of firearms is strictly prohibited.

- Import of Cartridges in excess of 50 is also prohibited.

However, in the case of persons transferring their residence (as per conditions specified in the rules) to India for a minimum period of one year, one firearm of permissible bore can be allowed to be imported subject to the conditions that:

1) the same was in possession and use abroad by the passenger for a minimum period of one year and also subject to the condition that such firearm, after clearance, shall not be sold, loaned, transferred or otherwise parted with, for consideration or otherwise, during the lifetime of such person;

2) the passenger has a valid arms licence from the local (Indian) authorities;

3) the customs and other duties as applicable shall be paid.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:02 pm

moderators is a no no.

bring a cz452 or a brno or such like ,as ruger 10/20 may give problems with Indias customs.
megazine is no problem bring 1k one if you can get it.lol
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Also, to the best of my knowledge, you should have owned that firearm under license for two years in UK/ your country of residence abroad.

Also, semi-automatics come under the so called "PB" category which require a PB license.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 3860#p3860

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

NivDhillon
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by NivDhillon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:49 am

HI Vikram, I think the time of ownership is 1 year. and is it not true that shooting club members can own semi automatic .22 rifles?

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:46 am

I have no such experience of import export to India but I were you, I would try to take some 9mm semi auto pistols or revolvers !!!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:06 am

Hammerhead wrote:I have no such experience of import export to India but I were you, I would try to take some 9mm semi auto pistols or revolvers !!!
he is going to have a very hard time getting a pistol or revolver, these days only the approved few and i mean hand full of people have handguns in the UK. as they have been banned since mid 90s.

the rules say that one should have owned the arms (not legs) for a year and have been overseas for two years. hope one is not planning to come without owning the arms for less then a year.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:05 am

A semi-auto (other than a pistol) is no-no as it requires a licence from MHA.
Try to get a good bolt action like the Anchutz. As said earlier the gun should have been with you for a year or more at UK
Membership in a rifle club does not provide for automatic immunity to bring in a semi auto even if it is .22
regs
sudhaiob

Ahmaq
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Ahmaq » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Semi-autos are illegal for all practical purposes. I assume you can get it, but it would require major headache, as acquiring even an arms license is hard enough.

I recommend a good handgun, which will have a high resale value, or a Holland&Holland. Kidding about that, get a bolt-action.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 pm

As others have suggested, a nice O/U with spare rifle barrels will be a fantastic idea. You can get a decent .22 in India albeit for a high price. But, an O/U will be prohibitively expensive. The semis you posted, you can forget about them for all practical purposes.

If you can something like this on your FAC, it will serve you very well.

http://www.marocchiarms.com/index.php?m ... duct_id=15

It will work as a 12 bore O/U and as a double rifle. And it is legal. Not very expensive either for what you get for the money. JMHO.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:04 pm

I wonder how this has to be endorsed on the license?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

NivDhillon
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by NivDhillon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:41 pm

HI Vikram,
I like the gun you suggested and will try to get it endorsed on my FAC. I currently have permission for .22, .223/5.56, 7.62/.308, .357/38 and a separate Shotgun Certificate. I looked at their data table and the calibers they do are (.222 Rem..; .30-06; .308 Win.: 7x65R; 7x57R; 6,5x55SE; 9,3x74R; 8x57JRS; 7,62x53R) which of these calibers should I get, in terns of ammo availability in india. .222 Rem I think should be a problem. will the .30-06 be the same as you get in India, how about the 8x57JR is that the same as the .315. you suggest please.
My wife is also moving to India with me (thank god) so I was thinking of getting a 12 bore beretta silver pigeon on my wife's name. Although I have to get a shotgun license on her name in India. It's a bit difficult but with a bit of luck and pull I should be able to manage that.
I know you said that it should be easy to get a decent .22 in India. I hope you dont mean the IOF. coz thats awful, in fact all of them are. The only decent IOF rifle is the .30-06.
I was keen on bring a .22 because thats my favourite rifle, I think its also very practical for India.
Regards
Niv

NivDhillon
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by NivDhillon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:46 pm

sudhaiob wrote:A semi-auto (other than a pistol) is no-no as it requires a licence from MHA.
Try to get a good bolt action like the Anchutz. As said earlier the gun should have been with you for a year or more at UK
Membership in a rifle club does not provide for automatic immunity to bring in a semi auto even if it is .22
regs
sudhaiob
Thanks Sudhaiob, Anchutz guns are very good indeed. good old German technology :-)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:19 am

NivDhillon wrote:HI Vikram,
I like the gun you suggested and will try to get it endorsed on my FAC. I currently have permission for .22, .223/5.56, 7.62/.308, .357/38 and a separate Shotgun Certificate. I looked at their data table and the calibers they do are (.222 Rem..; .30-06; .308 Win.: 7x65R; 7x57R; 6,5x55SE; 9,3x74R; 8x57JRS; 7,62x53R) which of these calibers should I get, in terns of ammo availability in india. .222 Rem I think should be a problem. will the .30-06 be the same as you get in India, how about the 8x57JR is that the same as the .315. you suggest please.
My wife is also moving to India with me (thank god) so I was thinking of getting a 12 bore beretta silver pigeon on my wife's name. Although I have to get a shotgun license on her name in India. It's a bit difficult but with a bit of luck and pull I should be able to manage that.
I know you said that it should be easy to get a decent .22 in India. I hope you dont mean the IOF. coz thats awful, in fact all of them are. The only decent IOF rifle is the .30-06.
I was keen on bring a .22 because thats my favourite rifle, I think its also very practical for India.
Regards
Niv
Niv, the .30-06 is the .30-06, regardless of where it is purchased. The 8x57 IRS , a.k.a. 8x57 RS, is NOT the same as the .315 or 8x50 R Mannlicher, and most likely impossible to obtain in India. Difficult to find outside continental Europe. For a .22 RF, you can't go wrong with a CZ. Cheers.