The Remington Model 870 pump action shotgun: My view.

Posts related to shotguns.
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The Remington Model 870 pump action shotgun: My view.

Post by Sakobav » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:37 am

Xl

Thanks a nice read will review it thoroughly my relative wants to purchase one shall recommend the one you have with interchangeable barrels. Its strange Beretta or Benelli doesnt offer one other than Mossberg. I agree with the snootiness some folks treated pump action shotguns on bird shoots vs european sxs or o/u. I was reading a memoir of Indian army officer defense attache in Egypt who was offended when American officer provided him with him utilitarian pump action shotgun. This chap was so embarrassed that he went early shot his bird and hid the gun felt much better the following day when he garnered a Greener sxs..LOL even old man Grumps mentioned this difference between US and European shooters and the point about utility versus style/bespoken as they say bird and animals cant tell the difference when shot

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 am

Navi,
If your relative is interested in an American pump action shotgun, there are quite a few companies making them.
Some of the more popular ones are :
1. Remington - 870 and 887 Nitro Mag
2. Mossberg - Flex, 500, 535, 835, Maverick
3. Winchester - SXP
4. Ithaca - M37
5. Weatherby - PA-08, PA-459
6. H&R - Pardner Pump

Another really popular pump action shotgun is the Benelli Nova and SuperNova. There is also the Benelli M3 which is a semi-auto that can also be pumped. Some of these companies sell their pumps as a combo with a slug barrel and a bird barrel. Almost all offer some kind of interchangeable choke system.

The Remington, Mossberg and Benelli Nova pumps have the most accessories and aftermarket parts vailable for them. All the pumps above feature interchangeable barrels and have many different barrels available. The H&R pumps are, I believe, made in China.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:50 pm

XL

This is what I was planning to recommend
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... ombos.aspx

I am not sure this can fire 3inch loads...yours is quite a bit accessorized up due to use but his will be mainly for weekend shooting and occasional hunt...dual combo gives me a slug gun so selfish here..

cheers

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Details are kind of sketchy on that page.
Usually, it will say Express Magnum on the side of the receiver if it will take 3 " shells and it will say Express Super Magnum if it will take 3 1/2' shells.
As far as the receiver goes, you just want to make sure that the ejection port is large enough for the shell you are firing.
You want to double check the barrel as the chamber size in the barrel determines what shell it will take.

Three inch shells will rattle your teeth, 3 1/2" heavy turkey loads will perform dentistry and shoulder surgery on you. :)
Not too many people use 3 1/2" shells.
Remember also that it is a fully rifled slug barrel so you will not be able to pattern buckshot well with it. It should do well with any kind of slug, though Remington will recommend sabot slugs and will recommend against standard rifled slugs.

However, I think pretty much all Express guns are Magnum's now. Still it won't hurt to double check at the store.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Gun Digest just posted a selection of 20 photos on the 870.
Enjoy!

Images can be accessed here

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Wed May 15, 2013 11:15 am

thanks for the writeup. loved it!
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed May 15, 2013 11:36 am

supershaji wrote:thanks for the writeup. loved it!
You're welcome, sir.
Glad you liked it.

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Wed May 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Very informative writeup and an excellent weapon indeed.

Thanks for posting...

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Wed May 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Very nice XL , i don't know how i miss this but i agree with you because i have one for my self.

My 870 is a Express Magnam and it's take 2 3/4" and 3" shells and also i have a extra barrel for it so i can shoot slugs.It's hold a 7 + 1 rounds of 2 3/4" and 6 +1 rounds of 3"shells.

This is my home defense gun and when i am on my hunting trip, i keep it for my self defense as a back up gun and also i change the barrel from smooth to slug barrel so i can protect my self from bears.

Here is the pictures of my Remington 870 Express Magnum.

Enjoy.

Baljit

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Wed May 15, 2013 10:30 pm

@ Baljit

I have a few questions regarding your Remington 870 Express Magnum shotgun .

1. What is the difference between a regular Remington 870 and a Remington 870 Express Magnum ?

2. You said you have a extra barrel for your 870 Express Magnum to shoot slugs . How is this barrel different from the barrel you use to shoot buckshots ? Is it necessary to change the barrel before shooting slugs ?

3. In the first picture , I see a sort of button on the trigger guard . Is it the safety ?

Regards

F-N-Five-Seven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu May 16, 2013 1:22 am

5-7,

1. The Remington 870 Wingmaster (now called the Wingmaster classic) has a high polish blue finish. It was first offered chambered for 2-3/4 " shells. Later, all Remington 870 Wingmasters were offered with the ability to fire 3" shells in addition to the 2-3/4" shells. The 870 Express is Parkerized and not blued. The 870 Express Magnum will handle 3" shells and 2-3/4" shells. The 870 Express Super Magnum will handle 3-1/2" shells in addition to the others.
For a gun to be able to fire, say, 3" magnum shells; there are two things that have to be present. The barrel has to be chambered for that length of shell and the ejection port has to be long enough to allow that now open shell to eject properly. So yes, there are differences in the receivers and in the barrels.

2. There are two types of barrels that Slugs can be fired in; a smooth bore barrel and a fully rifled barrel. There are also two types of slugs commonly available today; the Foster type of "rifled" slug and the Saboted slug.
Standard "rifled" slugs are designed to be shot in smooth bore barrels. They (at least Remington and Winchester) design their slugs to be shot in any smooth bore barrel even when choked down to full. You can shoot "rifled" slugs in rifled barrels but accuracy can be affected and they can deposit lead in the rifling grooves. A new class of slugs commonly available today are "Saboted slugs". The slug itself is similar to a rifle bullet in shape and construction. It sits in a plastic sleeve or "sabot". This sabot provides the gas seal and grips the rifling to spin the slug. Most sabots spring open as soon as they leave the bore and the bullet continues on by itself. Sabots are usually discarded in the first 20 or 25 yards.

Types of slugs. Image from here
Contrary to popular belief the "rifled" slug does not spin in a smooth bore barrel. The grooves serve as a kind of gas check and provide a fit to the bore of the gun while reducing the friction that would result if the entire slug was bore sized. The choke will swage the slug down a bit because it is soft lead. Saboted slugs in a rifled barrel can give you accuracy at extended ranges (200-250 yards) and you benefit by using a bullet of modern construction that will expand reliably and hold together. Rifled slugs generally fragment when they hit bone and sometimes that can result in a loss of penetration. Since rifled slugs do not spin, effective accuracy and distance is reduced.
Buckshot is best shot in smooth bore barrels with a choke of modified or above. It can be shot in a fully rifled barrel but the spin imparted to the wad will result the pattern widening quickly when it exits the barrel.

3. The button (or lever) that protrudes from the front of the trigger guard is a slide release. you can see it clearly in Baljit's third photo. The safety on a Remington 870 is on the trigger guard, behind the trigger .
Normally when you fire the gun, it release the slide automatically so you just pump it. If you don't fire it, the slide is locked. You can push that little lever up with the tip of your finger to release the slide (for unloading or switching ammo, etc.).
Since I have used the Rem 870 for so many years, the controls feel like they are in the perfect place for me.

image from HERE
The cross bolt safety can be seen behind the trigger and the slide release lever can be seen in front of the trigger.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu May 16, 2013 3:42 am

Baljit,
I like it!
There is no substitute for keeping it simple.

Where did you get the buttstock shell holder?
How is it attached?

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat May 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Nice one Baljit -- am guiding a relative to buy one like this but with wooden stock

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sat May 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Thank's XL explain everything to F-N-Five-Seven.

XL, i like to keep it simple as much as i can because this is my back up gun when i am on my hunting trip.

Last year I buy this shell holder in a gun show and i pay only $15 for it. Shell holder comes with 6 pre-drilled hole and screws, two on each side and two in the middle.Only i did is drill a holes in the stock with 3/16" drill bit and attached this shell holder.I really like it.

Navi, Thank you very much, 870 is one of the best shotgun in the market.

Baljit

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Sat May 18, 2013 11:58 pm

@ XL_Target

Thanks for addressing my questions and also providing me with additional info on the the different types of slugs and their behavior in different types of barrels .
Really appreciate it .

And as an act of appreciation , I promise you to bother you with questions regarding to firearms in future :)

@ Baljit

Thanks for sharing your photos of your firearm ( or Toy as you like to call it ) :)

Regards

F-N-Five-Seven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .