The Remington Model 870 pump action shotgun: My view.

Posts related to shotguns.
Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: The Remington Model 870 pump action shotgun: My view.

Post by Baljit » Sun May 19, 2013 1:32 am

XL and F-N-Five-Seven,here is a few more pictures for you guy's.

These are the slugs i am using in my 870.

Here is a link for these slugs............http://www.hornady.com/store/Slugs/

Enjoy

Baljit

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun May 19, 2013 10:35 am

Baljit,
I have used those slugs in my smoothbore with the rifled choke. I'm not sure how well they are stabilized with just the rifled choke but they were very accurate out to 50 yards. I didn't try any further distances as they are quite expensive and I only had one box with me. They are something like $3.50 a pop. As you mentioned, they should be adequate for Black Bear protection. What is the furthest distance you have shot with them and how was the accuracy through your rifled barrel?
I will mention that they had quite a bit of snort when shooting from the bench. They weren't so bad when shooting offhand but off the bench, it made me go out and buy one of Remington's Supercell recoil pads. My old one was a hard as a rock. Of course with 300 grains leaving the muzzle at 1950 fps, one would expect some push back. :)

Five-Seven, No problem. That's what we are here for. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Sun May 19, 2013 11:25 pm

XL,
I did not shot greater then 50 yards but it's very accurate with my rifled barrel.I shoot about 12 inch.thick piece of wood with this from 25 yards and these slugs went through the wood.This is why i like these slugs for protection.
I did shoot from the bench yet but shooting off hand still give me a really good recoil.I still have a few box with me and waiting for more to come.

Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue May 21, 2013 6:57 am

Last week I won a gun in a raffle. It is a Remington 870 20 gauge shotgun with a 28" vent ribbed barrel.
Since esdee wanted to know more about it, I decided to add it to this thread.
I just picked it up today and took some photos. I haven't shot it yet.

The box

On Opening the box; it's gotta be good with a photo of Chuck Norris in the box.
He's only exhorting you to vote but hey, it's Chuck Norris!

The contents of the box;
shotgun, barrel, choke tube wrench, duck plug (the yellow thing), trigger lock, NRA brochure, Operators manual and Chuck Norris "register to vote" flyer

Compared to the 12 gauge 870, the receiver is slimmer and slightly shorter in height.
Everything is scaled down compared the 12 ga. 870.

The stock and fore-end are laminated wood. The finish is a non reflective matte black and it comes with a removable modified choke (rem-choke system) tube installed. There is a single bead sight on the end of the rib. The action is not as smooth as my 12 ga. 870 but the smoothness will come with use. The barrel will handle 2 3/4" and 3" magnum shells. Notice the significant difference in the stroke length between the 12 ga. Super Magnum and the 20 ga.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue May 21, 2013 8:59 am

wow thats a sweet gun -- winning in a raffle with your luck should have bought that $600 Million power ball ticket who knows lightening could have struck twice..congrats
'
Cheers

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue May 21, 2013 9:22 am

Navi,
I was surprised as I usually never win anything.
Baljit wrote:XL,
I did not shot greater then 50 yards but it's very accurate with my rifled barrel.I shoot about 12 inch.thick piece of wood with this from 25 yards and these slugs went through the wood.This is why i like these slugs for protection.
I did shoot from the bench yet but shooting off hand still give me a really good recoil.I still have a few box with me and waiting for more to come.

Baljit
Wow! Baljit! 12 inches of solid wood. That is some serious penetration!

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Wed May 22, 2013 3:48 am

Wow!! very nice XL,congrats for the new toy.Please do share how she shoots.

Baljit

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Tue May 28, 2013 11:59 pm

@ Baljit

Thanks for the photos of the Hornady SST Shotgun Slugs and the link to the manufacturer's website . And also for the report that these slugs can penetrate through 12 inchs of wood . The SST Slugs have a polymer tip infront of them to aid expansion . So if they made like FMJ , they would penetrate even more , am I right ?

Hornady says the Slugs are perfect for animals like Mid West White Tails to Alaskan Moose ; I bet they would good enough for protection from rhinos & elephants .

@ XL_Target

Congrats on your 20 gauge .

Love the grains on the wood of the stock . Good photography

And finally my question :mrgreen:
What is the function of the duck plug ?

Regards

F-N-Five-Seven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Wed May 29, 2013 2:35 am

FN-Five-Seven , you are very Welcome. These SST Slugs have a polymer tip and i think they should penetrate more but not sure because I did not try yet. I know they went through 12 inch. wood from 25 yards, that's good enough for me to protect my self from the bears in close range.

Keep in mind I have this toy to protect my self at home with buck shots and when I am on my hunting trip I carry these slugs with rifle barrel.

Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed May 29, 2013 5:07 am

Five-Seven,
Many areas have regulations that restrict more than three shells for waterfowl. So, for example, when duck hunting, your magazine capacity is limited to one in the chamber and two in the magazine. All new shotguns come with a "duck plug" , also known as a "magazine plug". To install one, all you do is remove the magazine cap, remove the spring keeper, drop the plug inside the spring and replace the spring keeper and magazine cap. By restricting the number of shells that can be loaded, this prevents you from loading more than two shells in the magazine.
Once made out of wood, almost all of them are now made out of plastic. You'd better have a duck plug in your magazine when waterfowling as the Game Wardens can ask to check your gun.

Here is a typical Remington 870/1100/11-87 duck plug.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed May 29, 2013 5:54 am

That's a nice win, XL! I never win anything, either. Tis kind of win would make me good for a long time!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed May 29, 2013 11:58 am

Thnaks Tim,
I feel pretty good about it.
Baljit wrote:Wow!! very nice XL,congrats for the new toy.Please do share how she shoots.
Baljit,
Low recoil with birdshot and slugs. Low enough that almost anyone can handle it.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun May 04, 2014 11:17 am

Very well written article on the pump action, lots of information and first hand impressions xl_target - loved it!

Congratulations on your win (felicitations delayed by one whole year :o )...two wins in a row for some one who says he has never won anything before - truly amazing! :D Enjoy!

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun May 04, 2014 8:51 pm

xl_target wrote:On Opening the box; it's gotta be good with a photo of Chuck Norris in the box.
He's only exhorting you to vote but hey, it's Chuck Norris!
If they really want to do it right, they ought to have a photo of Rajinikanth…

:D :D
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun May 04, 2014 10:56 pm

The magazine plug, restricting total capacity to three shells for waterfowl hunting, is nation-wide. It's federal law. Some of the states, but not all, have the same restriction for all shotgun hunting, regardless of game species. Never a good idea to be afield without that plug when waterfowl season is open.