The real 'gun problem'! (Monsoons)

Ammunition, accessories and shooting-related gear & equipment - including Optics and Sights.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: The real 'gun problem'! (Monsoons)

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:36 pm

marksman wrote:Well....unless there are hot showers. :wink: :lol:
The heat before the shower, combined with body heat, can make the wax run.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Hoppes No.9 Bore Cleaner has been around since 1903.
Ballistol first appeared in 1904.
Not surprising that things have developed somewhat in nearly 110 years.
Yes, I agree that Eezox smells the best - or is the least offensive smelling anyway. It`s not exactly widely available in the UK either - I only know one source for it - but it tests as the best and having used it on all my guns I am happy to confirm that it is a superb product.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:49 pm

I have this interesting image of people trying to work furniture wax - or car wax/whatever - onto a damp gun ......
I wonder how any wax will effect the bore when the gun is fired ?
One thing though - pick the appropriate wax and your gun can smell of lemons or lavender. Lovely.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Grumpy wrote:Hoppes No.9 Bore Cleaner has been around since 1903.
As per those who have used it for a long time, the present Hoppes #9 Bore Solvent is a lot weaker than what it used to be. I am willing to believe this as I did not get satisfactory results.

Other than Roaring Forties, is Eezox available anywhere else in the U.K.?

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Not that I know. They are supposed to be the UK distributors but I`ve never seen it anywhere else - I got mine mail order from Roaring Forties.
( Terry Pratchett )

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks. Will try and get some this August.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:05 pm

You can only get the 4 oz can and the very small dispenser from Roaring forties - not the aerosol. Get the 4oz can.
It goes a VERY long way as you just need a very thin coat - if it puddles at all it won`t `set` so you know there`s too much. I use a fine, soft artists paint brush to apply it to lock parts/trigger mechanisms, general mechanical parts, etc and a thicker artists brush to apply it to external surfaces. I use a small piece of rag soaked in Eezol for the bores and pass it through a few times.
If you check the Roaring Forties site you can see the prices and their ( UK ) postage costs.
Maybe not surprisingly I find that less plastic and carbon/powder waste adheres to shotgun bores if they`re pre-treated with Eezox and there`s less copper fouling in rifle bores.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:10 pm

By the way, I COMPLETELY treated 15 guns/rifles with about 5 or 6 oz of Eezox so a 4 oz can will last forever if just being used on a single pistol.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Another `by the way`: I`ve found KG-12 to be EASILY the best copper fouling remover I`ve ever tried but I haven`t found anyone that stocks it in the UK......although I haven`t looked in some time. I brought a can back from the US in 2005 and there`s - maybe - enough left to clean a rifle barrel another couple of times.
It`s ammonia free as well so can be safely used with stainless steel barrels.
( Terry Pratchett )

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks Grumpy. Not a fan of aerosol cans, generally speaking, though that is what I had previously.

I recall reading a lot of very good reports on KG-12 but it's one I have not tried. With just one firearm now (and that too a rimfire), almost no shooting and a plentiful of stock of bore solvents still in the cabinet, I'd rather get a few cans of Eezox.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:32 pm

You won`t regret it because it is REALLY good.
The problem with aerosol cans is that you waste product with overspray .... and as often as not you spray on too much as well anyway.
( Terry Pratchett )

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Grumpy, I did some quick research on the net and read it's meant for "aggressive removal of copper fouling" vs. a KG-2 meant for "copper and lead fouling". Not sure what 'agressive' here means. Ref from: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/144092 ... c=wishList
Any word of caution on its use?

What I do like is its not ammonia based.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:08 pm

`Aggressive` I believe refers to it`s effectiveness - it`s very quick - particularly on barrels that are badly fouled with copper deposits. It`s recommended for use on stainless steel match barrels which can be damaged with solvents that have high levels of ammonia. You`ll see a lot of match shooters recommending it`s use and also the US military uses it. I`ve found no problems when using it .... and I have nothing with a stainless steel barrel.
( Terry Pratchett )

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 am

There is also this product:
Spill a lot? NeverWet's ready to coat your gear
Waterproof and water-resistant products have nothing on NeverWet. The superhydrophobic coating, now available in stores, repels liquids like you've never seen before
Read all about it HERE
magine spilling red wine or chocolate syrup on your shirt, only to watch it glide off as if nothing ever happened in the first place. Hogwash? No, it's called NeverWet.
Awhile back, I wrote about NeverWet, a superhydrophobic coating that can be applied to nearly any surface and repels liquids startlingly well. To bring NeverWet to the masses, developer Ross Nanotechnology licensed the product to Rust-Oleum, which recently started selling the spray for $19.97 at Home Depot.

A high-tech way to walk through rain and not get wet
This superhydrophobic coating is truly stunning
The NeverWet package contains two cans -- a base and top coat -- capable of covering 10 to 15 square feet with water-repelling action on a multitude of surfaces including metal, wood, fabric, and plastic. The base coat takes about 30 minutes to dry, and the top coat takes another 30 minutes to cure.
Unfortunately, it's not wise to use NeverWet on transparent surfaces like glass, as the spray dries with a frosted appearance. A clear-drying version is in the works, according to a NeverWet representative that spoke with Lancaster Online.
An FAQ included with the NeverWet instructions (PDF) advises that you not use the coating on electronics. However, in a video demonstration created by Lancaster Online, a NeverWet employee shows a brief step-by-step process on how to make an iPhone waterproof for up to half a foot of water. We don't recommend you try coating your own electronics with NeverWet, but it sure makes for an interesting demonstration!
Watch the jaw-dropping liquid-repelling abilities of NeverWet in the following video
[youtube][/youtube]
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:40 am

A simple solution would be to chrome plate the entire pistol.The + would be,it would add some bling to an otherwise plain looking pistol.