Lever action rifle for home defence

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
saim
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Lever action rifle for home defence

Post by saim » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:33 am

Hi there, myself is a new member of this forum residing in a rural area of central Uttar pradesh,,, i hv a .315 bore rifle but as i m a lefty so i find handling the bolt quit difficult for quick reloading,,, can anyone suggest me some lever action rifle for Home defense...thanks

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Lever action rifle for home defence

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:46 am

Welcome to IFG. Try this thread. A lot of discussion on lever actions here.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19240
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 am

If you mean chambering a round, the lever action should be easier. Reloading the rifle with cartridges probably won't be, if that's the problem.

saim
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by saim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:34 am

thanks Vikram n TwoRivers for ur suggestions,,, i ll definetly go through the thread..
TwoRivers yes the problem is with chambering the round itself as i have stated earlier.... 'handling the bolt'.. Not the reloading the magzine..

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 am

Saim,

I'm ambidextrous and I've played around all my life shooting with both hands. A right-handed bolt rifle is quite easy to cycle the bolt using my method here-

I am assuming that you are shooting left handed and using your left eye. With a bolt action rifle you can shoot a round, then drop the muzzle of the rifle about a foot, move your left thumb over the grip so it is now on the left side of the rifle and next to the other fingers of the left hand, then when that is done let go of the fore end with your right hand and slide it back to the bolt, now grab the bolt and cycle it up and pull back then move forward and chamber the new round, now keep sliding your right hand forward and when you grab the fore end swing the thumb of your left hand back over the grip while you are bringing the gun back up, and when the gun comes back up to your eye you are ready to shoot again.

The important part of my method is to make certain the first movement is to swing your thumb over the grip BEFORE you let go of the fore end with your right hand! If you do not get into that habit you will invariably grab the bolt first and smack it back into your hand. Maybe not every time but if you are in a hurry it will happen 3 times out of 4.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:46 am

Having said that, if your main reason for posting is you need an excuse to buy a lever action rifle that is perfectly fine too!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:40 pm

saim wrote:Hi there, myself is a new member of this forum residing in a rural area of central Uttar pradesh,,, i hv a .315 bore rifle but as i m a lefty so i find handling the bolt quit difficult for quick reloading,,, can anyone suggest me some lever action rifle for Home defense...thanks
Hi Saim,

Welcome to the forum.

I too occasionally live on a farm in a rural area of central Uttar Pradesh. I too have an IOF .315 rifle. Although I am not left handed, I too had considered buying a lever action or a double rifle for home defence.

There was quite a debate on the rival merits of the two types of action. Vikram has already guided you to the thread where the discussion took place.

In case you can find a lever action rifle in .30-30 calibre, your purpose will be served. If, however, you are looking for a more powerful cartridge, I can point out to you a .30-06 or a .405 Winchester, both Model 1895 Winchester lever action repeaters with box type non-detachable magazines.

All the best.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

saim
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by saim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi Mark,
thanks for a detailed and worthy suggestion,
Indeed this forum is a right place to be benefited by our seniors.I tried the method and i think it can be really useful after some practicing and gaining enough confidence to handle the weapon in that way..ll revert back to you after some more practice... Thanks again

saim
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by saim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Mark wrote:Having said that, if your main reason for posting is you need an excuse to buy a lever action rifle that is perfectly fine too!

Hi Mark..
You are right in pointing out.., i really want to buy a LAR...as it always fascinate me.. But nonetheless your method can be really useful as i should hone my skill to operate a bolt action rifle too...

Regards

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:24 pm

saim wrote:
Mark wrote:Having said that, if your main reason for posting is you need an excuse to buy a lever action rifle that is perfectly fine too!
i really want to buy a LAR...as it always fascinate me.
Regards
That is all the reason you need, and you should not need to justify it to anyone other than yourself.

saim
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by saim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:09 am

Hi miroflex

thanks, i hv gone thru the thread Vikram has provided... That was a intense discussion.. An enlightening one. Have you,Sir, found what was you searching for?
As our living environment is somewhat same..i think you can guess what should best suites me..as i am quite a novice in this field.
I am intersted in 30-30 and .30-06 can u tell me how deep my pockets should be if i want to get any of these LAR.. Thanks

Regards

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi Saim,

A .30-30 lever action rifle in a good to very good condition should cost you around Rs. 1,50,000. A dealer I know is asking for Rs. 2,15,000 for a Winchester Model 1895 lever action rifle in calibre .30-06/

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

saim
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by saim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:00 pm

[quote="miroflex"]Hi Saim,

A .30-30 lever action rifle in a good to very good condition should cost you around Rs. 1,50,000. A dealer I know is asking for Rs. 2,15,000 for a Winchester Model 1895 lever action rifle in calibre .30-06/

Hi miroflex,
thanks for your specific information...i am more interested in .30-06 rifle as to my understanding its cartridge is more powerful n easily available than .30-30. Can u tell me the contact details of the said dealer ? What shld be proper price of that weapon ?