Woman attacked inside ATM in Bangalore

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Woman attacked inside ATM in Bangalore

Post by bennedose » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:30 am

This happened not far from where I live. Please watch the video, and I have a few comments to make.
http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/news/w ... ore/298495

The woman enters the ATM and starts the transaction. I am surprised to note that the damn ATM had a shutter that could be pulled down by anyone shutting off outsiders. That IMO is pathetic. The man enters, pulls the shutter down and is able to do his thing without any prying eyes seeing what is happening in the ATM booth.

That apart, it seems to me that one the woman was inside the ATM booth with an armed mugger and the shutter down she had virtually no chance. The newspapers say that the woman argued with the man and refused to withdraw more money. If true, that would have been an error. In such a situation it is better to do exactly what an armed man says - but then the man had no visible arms when he comes in. They are in his bag.

The only possibility would have been to pull out a handgun from her bag and shoot because it takes time for the mugger to pull his weapons out of his bag. Failing that pepper spray may have worked - but an ATM simply must not have a shutter that can be pulled down.
A 44-year-old woman was attacked with a machete in an ATM in the heart of Bangalore on Tuesday, leaving her severely injured.

The footage captured on the CCTV camera installed inside the ATM shows the woman, manager at Corporation Bank, entering the ATM at around 7:30 am where no security guard was present, to withdraw cash. A man follows her inside the ATM behind and brings down the shutters before threatening her first with a revolver and then a machete which he brought out of his bag.

The footage shows the assailant pushing her down and attacking her with the machete. As the woman tries to resist, the man grabs her by the neck and pushes her up against a wall.

The woman has told the police that she called for help twice but there was no security guard outside the ATM, which is located near a police station. She also said that the attacker took away her purse and mobile phone before he escaped.

"The man assaulted her on the head and face. She fell unconscious. The person left with her purse which contained some credit cards and mobile phones and pulled the shutter down while leaving. Surprisingly, the jewellery the lady was wearing was not taken away. She was wearing a chain, bangles and other items," said Kamal Pant, Joint Police Commissioner, Bangalore

The woman was admitted to hospital with head injuries and is said to be out of danger now.

The attack was captured on the CCTV installed inside the ATM. The police are examining the footage to identify the attacker.

For Advertising mail webmaster
surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Woman attacked inside ATM in Bangalore

Post by surajshuresh » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:59 am

Yes i saw this watched it in tv9 cant believe this happened in our city... In such situations we better to listen to the criminal since he has more leverage and they see and attack people who cant defend them selfs hence we all need some leverage like women and older people in africa if you argue like that they will just shoot and kill you mate... Thats why we must all be fit and able to defend ourselves atleast carry a small pepper spray and a folding knife... nothing wrong in carrying a small folding knife how cares what people say they will not come and recuse you in such situations right...

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 am

surajshuresh wrote:Yes i saw this watched it in TV9 cant believe this happened in our city... In such situations we better to listen to the criminal since he has more leverage and they see and attack people who cant defend themselves hence we all need some leverage like women and older people in Africa if you argue like that they will just shoot and kill you mate...
That's why we must all be fit and able to defend ourselves at least carry a small pepper spray and a folding knife... nothing wrong in carrying a small folding knife how cares what people say they will not come and rescue you in such situations right...

> Good heavens! What a brazen attack on an innocent person (woman)....
> Thank God the woman survived... Imagine the trauma she must have suffered....
> The Law must Wake Up and legalize the carrying of knives & small arms for self defense....
Briha

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Horrifying, to say the least. Hence proved that the much vaunted CCTVs in ATMs are not deterrents to crime.
The Law must Wake Up and legalize the carrying of knives & small arms for self defense....
Remember that part in the Ramayana where everyone is trying to wake up Kumbhakarna? They had an easy job!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:35 pm

360 ' cctv coverage is a must at the front, rear , Almost all Atms must be checked for the card authorized entry and exit only facility, so that only one person is inside the ATM and no such intrusions take place .Many ATMs are free to open .This has to be checked. We guys do not fore see such scenarios. We are good at acting and learning to think only after such incidents take place.
Only in the case of VIP security, our police men will work out all un imaginable scenarios and put the general public to maximum inconvenience possible.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:55 pm

VVR, card opening ATMs have been disabled ever since RBI allowed cross bank ATM transactions (e.g. with ICICI account, I can use Citibank ATM). Otherwise the card entry readers would have to be configured to read ALL cards issued - across the world! Which, in the words of a bank guy I know, would be too damn expensive.

The bigger issue in this case is the lack of security guard at the ATM. What is the guy had, instead of attacking the woman, walked in when the ATM was empty, rolled down the shutter, and proceeded to empty the machine? Probably the inbuilt alarms would have ensured cops came on the scene earlier!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 pm

essdee1972 wrote: The bigger issue in this case is the lack of security guard at the ATM. What is the guy had, instead of attacking the woman, walked in when the ATM was empty, rolled down the shutter, and proceeded to empty the machine? Probably the inbuilt alarms would have ensured cops came on the scene earlier!!
:agree:
Precisely. Also - 90% of ATMs I use have no such shutters. Why did this one have a shutter? Is there no way of securing the shutter so a burglar/killer/rapist/drug addict cannot use it as a den?

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 pm

Got this one off the Net from a B'lore contact. Hope the crook is caught.

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:05 pm

I wonder why they even bother to install the cctv when there is not one to monitor them. I am sure after this there are going to some regulations by RBI.
Nothing has shaped the history more than a Gun

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 am

The thug first pulls out a gun,which looks like a toy and maybe realizing that,he pulls out a machete.the machete looks like something used in any household.man well versed with a gun would carry it in his pants,he was clumpsy when he took out his gun,and would have had a mask on,knowing there are cctv's and the bag he had looks like the ones for the laptops.this guy is an amateur and won't be easy to pin him.
regards
dr.jk

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:29 am

> Strange are the laws that cover security & assault....
> If the criminal is caught it will be months before he is sentenced (may be for a year or so) after which he is out again - probably looking for another victim somewhere....
> But what about the poor lady who will take 6 months to recover the trauma & injury and of-course the medical expenses she has to incur?
> The Karnataka Govt. has given Banks 3 days to install security measures in their ATMs - will they comply???
Briha

inplainsight
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by inplainsight » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Very distressing incident, I wish her speedy recovery and hope that the assailant is caught and punished.

But what else can we expect? I remember discussing comments on a TOI article where readers were suggesting women use CO2 guns and pepper spray for self defense (http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19495). People need to start accepting the fact that some situations can only be mitigated by firearms. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight and you can't dissuade a motivated attacker by words or less-than/non-lethal defenses.

Also, I LOVE the police's knee jerk reaction of ordering armed guards at ATMs. IIRC there was an article about how the local licensing authorities are now denying licenses to security firms/guards. (http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... e-security)

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Having traveled extensively all across the country I can assure you that Bangalore is one of the safest place to be. The city has surveillance cameras and police at every corner. The police patrolling here are a lot tougher than in most parts of the country. What happened here is very a unfortunate incident. This however was planned as the criminal was waiting for his victim. There would be a lot to this incident which would come into our view once the victim speaks and the attacker is caught. Some sort of personal score to settle I assume or he would have robbed her otherwise. Please don't let this one incident put Bangalore off your travel plans.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:20 pm

farook wrote:Having traveled extensively all across the country I can assure you that Bangalore is one of the safest place to be. The city has surveillance cameras and police at every corner. The police patrolling here are a lot tougher than in most parts of the country. What happened here is very a unfortunate incident. This however was planned as the criminal was waiting for his victim. There would be a lot to this incident which would come into our view once the victim speaks and the attacker is caught. Some sort of personal score to settle I assume or he would have robbed her otherwise. Please don't let this one incident put Bangalore off your travel plans.
Banglore traffic puts me off than anything else.i love banglore.
regards
dr.jk

farook
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by farook » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:27 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:
farook wrote:Having traveled extensively all across the country I can assure you that Bangalore is one of the safest place to be. The city has surveillance cameras and police at every corner. The police patrolling here are a lot tougher than in most parts of the country. What happened here is very a unfortunate incident. This however was planned as the criminal was waiting for his victim. There would be a lot to this incident which would come into our view once the victim speaks and the attacker is caught. Some sort of personal score to settle I assume or he would have robbed her otherwise. Please don't let this one incident put Bangalore off your travel plans.
Banglore traffic puts me off than anything else.i love banglore.
regards
dr.jk

Traffic is bad across the country sir. When I was kolkata to collect my weapon the taxi took one hour to travel 15 kms. Even then I had to get off the taxi and walk for 2 kms. The taxi just cant enter the cossipore area. If there is anything that's lacking in my country its a sense or co ordination from one department to another and a complete muddle in any sense of planning. The newer parts of Bangalore however are a lot better. Its always better to travel in off peak hours even it means leaving early.