Washing and lubing pellets

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Washing and lubing pellets

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:07 pm

At the outset I must emphasise that I normally wouldn't bother washing and lubing or even using oxidised pellets in any of my airguns. Infact I have stopped washing and lubing pellets as the one's I now use come with very little lead swarf and no longer need washing. They are well lubed as well.

However, someone I know has an airgun that shoots well with Crosman Premiers and since these pellets do not shoot well in my airguns, I'm quite happy to let him have them.

Unfortunately, these pellets are from a May 2000 batch and are quite badly oxidised. However, since these are all I have I decided to wash and lube them and simultaneously show the members how this is done.

1) The pellets.

2) Make a solution of liquid dishwashing soap and water and drop the pellets into the solution.

3) Now swirl the pellets around for a good five to ten minutes (this will loosen the swarf) and then pour the contents into a sieve.

4) Rinse thoroughly under running water and then spread the pellets out to dry. You could use a hairdryer if you wish.

5) Take a cloth the size of a handkerchief or smaller and oil it with your choice of lube (only use beeswax based lube if the pellets are to be used in a spring-piston operated airgun). Put a few pellets on the oiled surface and then catch the ends of the cloth, so as to make a hamock and roll the pellets along the lube.

This process will coat the pellets with an even amount of lube.

Drop the lubed pellets into the box / tin and you're done.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
striker
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Washing and lubing pellets

Post by striker » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:24 pm

nice pellets Mack The Knife where do u get this .is imported pellets available in india,bangalore

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:42 pm

These pellets are not commercially available in Banglore or any other part of India, for that matter.

I had a friend bring me a box many years ago as I needed to check which pellets suited my air-rifle best.

Mack The Knife

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:55 pm

ah Mack The Knife - finally one more from you - i was waiting for some good info from you - your posts on maintenance are very good. - Thanks for sharing
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:51 pm

Very nicely presented ; as usual .

Thanks Mack The Knife :D
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:20 pm

Wow Mack The Knife they look so good. I did the same to the batch that you sent. But your lubing technique beats my short blasts with silicone spray hands down. I have finished two hundred of your pellets this rifle gobbles everything without a stutter. I finished the H&n FIELD TROPHY and the Premiers. I am now going thru the eley wasp, to give you an idea of accuracy a friend of mine dropped by last evening and luckily for him I had gas left. And so after shooting your crow his blood lust went up and he laid a five rupee coin face down on the ground. At ten feet or so he shot the edge of the coin, repeatedly. I had several near misses. Had to keep the lousy shot rep up ;-).
Thanks for the lubing trick and taking so much pain for moi, unless I flatter myself.

Regards,

Dev
Mack The Knife Bana wrote: At the outset I must emphasise that I normally wouldn't bother washing and lubing or even using oxidised pellets in any of my airguns. Infact I have stopped washing and lubing pellets as the one's I now use come with very little lead swarf and no longer need washing. They are well lubed as well.

However, someone I know has an airgun that shoots well with Crosman Premiers and since these pellets do not shoot well in my airguns, I'm quite happy to let him have them.

Unfortunately, these pellets are from a May 2000 batch and are quite badly oxidised. However, since these are all I have I decided to wash and lube them and simultaneously show the members how this is done.

1) The pellets.

[image]

2) Make a solution of liquid dishwashing soap and water and drop the pellets into the solution.

[image]

[image]

3) Now swirl the pellets around for a good five to ten minutes (this will loosen the swarf) and then pour the contents into a sieve.

[image]

4) Rinse thoroughly under running water and then spread the pellets out to dry. You could use a hairdryer if you wish.

[image]

5) Take a cloth the size of a handkerchief or smaller and oil it with your choice of lube (only use beeswax based lube if the pellets are to be used in a spring-piston operated airgun). Put a few pellets on the oiled surface and then catch the ends of the cloth, so as to make a hamock and roll the pellets along the lube.

[image]

[image]

[image]

This process will coat the pellets with an even amount of lube.

[image]

Drop the lubed pellets into the box / tin and you're done.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Mack The Knife
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:34 pm

Thanks for the lubing trick and taking so much pain for moi, unless I flatter myself.
Ummm.... :mrgreen: You are most welcome.

If I am not mistaken, there are 364 CPs left in the box. I can also send you a tin of H&N FTT in .177" and/or .22" calibre. However, the H&Ns must be replaced in kind when you go to Oz. Let me know - don't be bashful. Asif is here on the 9th or 10th and I will give him the pellets then.

Toodles!

Mack The Knife

P.S.: The CPs still show signs of oxidation around the waist. If you are particular you can dip a tooth brush in Castrol 2T (that's what I lubed them with) and remove the source of irritation. Personally I would not bother doing this but I would shoot these pellets before they start oxidising again.

Another thing...CPs tend to lead up the bore far more quickly, so if your groups begin to open it could well mean that the bore needs cleaning.

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:05 pm

I wanted to know which pellets are the best for an IHP .177 and available in India/Delhi easily?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:27 pm

No idea, Yash. Try the G.Smith offerings particularly the target type wad cutters as they would be lighter in weight.

With airguns you really need to try various brands to see what suits it best. Even consecutive serial numbered airguns of the same model and manufacturer may have different pellet preferences.

Mack The Knife

yash3_great

Post by yash3_great » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:46 pm

Mack The Knife-

Rather stupid question but how does one make out which brand and make of pellets suits a gun best?

Another question: Even the same make of pellets are usually not uniform. I really do not know of imported brands but Indian made pellets i have observed are at times different in size and weight slightly.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Try all makes till you find one that groups well - i would recommend Gsmith - Hollow head for .177 they do rather well in mine
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Rather stupid question but how does one make out which brand and make of pellets suits a gun best?
By testing it for downrange groups on paper. You can also chrono it to check shot to shot velocity variation but the real test is in down range groups. For an IHP I suggest you test it at 10 and 25 metres. Don't bother if they don't hit the centre of the target as you are only checking for groups. So, please do not adjust your sights whilst shooting a group.

You can shoot many groups of just two or three shots or you can choose to increase the number of shots per group.

Since you will be shooting a springer it is absolutely critical that no part of the rifle or the hand holding it rests on a hard surface. Make sure you are consistent in all aspects of the shooting process
Another question: Even the same make of pellets are usually not uniform. I really do not know of imported brands but Indian made pellets i have observed are at times different in size and weight slightly.
I am afraid that is something we have to live with. Even imported pellets have some variation in size and weight but this is far less than what is found with pellets made in India. I suggest you give the G.Smith wadcutters a try.

Mack The Knife

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:32 pm

I have some 750 Crosmans: about 500 premiers 14.5 grain in .177 and a fresh tin of .177 pointed Crosman at the moment am planning on acquiring some four tins from pyramyd air and asking a friend to carry back. One of those tins will have a h&n 500. All in .22 probably around end June or mid july. So let me know what you'd like and we'll swap. ;-)

If mule carries all we shall be tossing tins at each other soon. Send me those premiers anyway.

Dev

Mack The Knife Bana";p="21001 wrote:
Ummm.... :mrgreen: You are most welcome.

If I am not mistaken, there are 364 CPs left in the box. I can also send you a tin of H&N FTT in .177" and/or .22" calibre. However, the H&Ns must be replaced in kind when you go to Oz. Let me know - don't be bashful. Asif is here on the 9th or 10th and I will give him the pellets then.

Toodles!

Mack The Knife

P.S.: The CPs still show signs of oxidation around the waist. If you are particular you can dip a tooth brush in Castrol 2T (that's what I lubed them with) and remove the source of irritation. Personally I would not bother doing this but I would shoot these pellets before they start oxidising again.

Another thing...CPs tend to lead up the bore far more quickly, so if your groups begin to open it could well mean that the bore needs cleaning.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Dev,

The factory stated weight (not always correct) for Crosman Premiers is 14.3 grains in .22" calibre.

You don't have to send me any pellets in exchange for the CPs as I have only kept them around to check other peoples airguns.

I am a bit confused...do you want the H&N FTTs in .22" cal? If you are getting some in June or July I would prefer to retain mine as it gives me 500 more from the same batch. However, if you need them now don't hesitate to ask.

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:07 pm

Rusty is the Napier pellet lube any good for the sort of relubing you have described above?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein