Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Colt Army Model 1860 revolver

Post by Sakobav » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Nice Xl

Timmy Rajnikanth reference fast gun mungaram is funny..

For Advertising mail webmaster
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:08 am

Nice looking gun & accessories. Love the classic looks of these guns.

Thanks for sharing.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks Navi and Herb.

Tim,
That photo of your face on Rajnikanth is hilarious.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:50 pm

XL: :-) :-) :-)

Actually, I didn't photoshop the pic - that's Rajni's own physiognomy. However, I have some friends who I cannot wait to tell: I've been mistaken for a major motion picture star!

My old copy of photoshop doesn't work with Intel Macs :-( But you have given me a most excellent idea!

This would be in keeping with my past efforts:

ImageImage

PS: XL, my Wife is upset with you. I showed your comments to her and she says that you will have made me insufferably vain…
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:02 pm

ROTFL

Wonderful...superb movie scenarios back and forth! :lol:

ROTFL
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:08 am

So, I've been shooting this handgun for a few weeks now and have run about 100 rounds through it.
Frankly, it surprises me every time I take it out as I really enjoy shooting it.
Even though it takes ages to reload compared to a modern magazine fed firearm, I seem to like using it.

About two weeks ago, at the range, I finally decided to shoot a group with it. Near the end of the range session, I set up a target and walked to the 21 ft line.
I know what most of my handguns will do at this distance. Some of them, like the SIG are considered to be some of the best service pistols around.
There are also some days where I can do no wrong on the range and some days where I have a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn from inside it (OK, its not that bad :)).

So I let loose all six cylinders and got this.

Offhand at 21 ft. The point of aim was the "X" at the bottom of the large "V"

So I am surprised. Very surprised!
That's not bad, not bad at all for an Italian replica of an 1860's American firearm that cost me less than $200.
Not only that but I am shooting a black powder substitute, roughly measured by volume.

My target is still up and I'm reloading when along come a guy with a Glock and starts blasting away.
He then walks up to the target backer, looks at his target, looks at my target, looks at me then packs his gun up and leaves. I think he should have stayed and practiced more. He needed it.
This revolver makes me look like a much better shot than I really am. :)

It is near the end of the session so I just chalk it down to having a really good day.

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:48 am

He then walks up to the target backer, looks at his target, looks at my target, looks at me then packs his gun up and leaves.
8) ..... he followed the code of the Wild West.... leave while you are still alive 8)

:twisted:
TC

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:17 am

TC wrote:
He then walks up to the target backer, looks at his target, looks at my target, looks at me then packs his gun up and leaves.
8) ..... he followed the code of the Wild West.... leave while you are still alive 8)

:twisted:
TC
LOL, TC.
I'm always friendly at the range and willing to let anyone shoot my guns.

I thought this was a fluke so last weekend when I went back to the range, I pasted up some new targets and tried again.

Point of aim was the small circle in the bottom half of the image.
The larger circle is about a 1.75" circle.

Point of aim was the "X" in the middle of the target.

The above were all handheld at 21 feet.

So what is it that makes this handgun group so well.
Obviously the long sight radius (because of the 8" barrel) helps but it's got to be more than that.

In the future, I will have to try to see how it groups at longer ranges.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:35 am

XL, that's nice shooting, for sure! There's nothing wrong with Col. Sam's design, and the passage of years doesn't change that fact.

I have not seen the Army on sale in the Cabelas catalogs that I get. They come from a new store they opened in Delaware. Here in New Jersey, an Army is just as much of a "criminal's gun" as a Glock and subject to the same ill-considered persecution by the law. It would be great to pick one up for under $200, though.

As far as the fellow at the range, his problem is deeper than a lack of practice. If he saw shooting as a competition with himself and an opportunity to reflect his ability to improve, he would have stayed, would have practiced, and maybe even asked you to watch him and give him a few tips. But, he evidently saw the competition as being with you and left. I think that it's his attitude that is the problem -- correct that, and his practice would take care of itself!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:55 am

Very nice shooting and groups with the Colt xl_target - WOW! :D Great Fun!

At longer ranges, it would probably be bang on bull! I wonder at what range those long barrels are zeroed at? Were you shooting one handed?

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:01 am

Well here's a pic of mine:

Not new or shiny, but a bit of "patina". One of these winters I'm planning on re-bluing it, just don't know which winter yet!

XL, I shoot conicals in mine. I'll dig up the mould and cast a few for you to use and compare against round balls.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:08 am

Lovely old Colt Mark looks beautiful! How old is it?

That's a great idea to compare ball to conical - should be interesting over longer range.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:04 am

CK, It is a reproduction and not a genuine Colt, but probably one of the first batches made. :)
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:49 am

timmy wrote:XL, that's nice shooting, for sure! There's nothing wrong with Col. Sam's design, and the passage of years doesn't change that fact.
True, I'm just surprised that the Italians spent so much time making sure the barrels were made well and then were able to sell them for such a low price.
ckkalyan wrote:Very nice shooting and groups with the Colt xl_target - WOW! :D Great Fun!
At longer ranges, it would probably be bang on bull! I wonder at what range those long barrels are zeroed at? Were you shooting one handed?
CK, I believe they are zeroed for about 75 yards.
Mark wrote: Not new or shiny, but a bit of "patina". One of these winters I'm planning on re-bluing it, just don't know which winter yet!
XL, I shoot conicals in mine. I'll dig up the mould and cast a few for you to use and compare against round balls.
That's a lovely Patina on your Army. Is that an Uberti or a Pietta?
Conicals would be great, as well as appreciated, Mark

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 pm

timmy wrote:XL, that's nice shooting, for sure! There's nothing wrong with Col. Sam's design, and the passage of years doesn't change that fact.

I have not seen the Army on sale in the Cabelas catalogs that I get. They come from a new store they opened in Delaware. Here in New Jersey, an Army is just as much of a "criminal's gun" as a Glock and subject to the same ill-considered persecution by the law. It would be great to pick one up for under $200, though.
Tim,
Currently Cabelas has them on sale for $219 (online) but any store should match the online price.
The one that they are offering is one like mine; blued with a steel frame.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-M ... 705022.uts