Brno/CZ Rimfire (Pics)

Posts related to rifles.
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Brno/CZ Rimfire (Pics)

Post by herb » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:59 pm

Many of us who grew up in rural India and were fortunate enough to have access to a Brno rim-fire (fathers, uncles, friends, club etc.) will always have a soft corner for these firearms. Many decades ago (when hunting was legal in India) as a teenager, I was fortunate enough have walked the hills and valleys around Belgaum Karnataka with a Brno No. 2. At that time it was the most beautiful firearm in the world to me, many decades later it still is. Sharing some pics for those who like me will always love them.

Herb
Last edited by herb on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Re: Brno/CZ Rimfire (Pics)

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:10 am

Herb,

Absolutely! The nostalgia a Brno rimfire generates is matched by none. I too have some very fond memories with the Brno. You rifles look exquisite and and images trigger some wonderful images of the past, albeit with an oil soaked stock, heavily used and abused rifle pressed against the cheek while cousins shouted "Chala! Chala!".

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
SS

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:13 am

Wow! :shock:

:cpix:

Very nicely maintained, classic rifles herb - it would be great if you could provide descriptions for the three.

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ebenezer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Marvellous! Do you have these with you abroad, Herb?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:54 pm

I myself am quite partial to these little rifles, Herb. Like them a lot. Lovely trio you have there. They all have prettier wood than the ones one usually comes across. I notice that all have hogback stocks. Any particular reason for that?

I remember well when the encyclopaedic Grumpy, at the first time we met at Bedford, made me shoulder a hogback/Bavarian stocked CZ. And then he made me shoulder a straight stocked rifle. The former helps a lot in instinctive shooting and you line up the sights a lot faster.

Thanks for sharing the photos, Herb.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Beautiful wood grain and splendid condition specially the 3rd from left in the first pic. I too have a BRNO model 2 within the family and it's such a delight to fire with, enjoy with your beautiful guns.
1 shot 1 kill!

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:14 am

Thanks!
ckkalyan wrote:Wow! :shock:

:cpix:

Very nicely maintained, classic rifles herb - it would be great if you could provide descriptions for the three.

They are CZ 452 2E Lux, two of them are in .22 LR, the one on the right and in subsequent photos are in .22 WMR. The one in the center is beech stock & the two on the sides are walnut.
ebenezer wrote:Marvellous! Do you have these with you abroad, Herb?
Yes, they are with me.
Vikram wrote: I notice that all have hogback stocks. Any particular reason for that?
Best-
Vikram
The gun I used was a hogback back then and the fondness for the hogback remained.

Herb
Last edited by herb on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:46 am

Wow Herb,
You truly won the wood lottery with those rifles.
A very nice trio!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks herb for the specs - truly, Drooooooool - woodstock - beautiful tripura-sundari's! :D I must admit though, I have always loved the darker walnut!

Nice observation on the hogback butt stock Vikram - learned a new one today - thanks! :)
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Indeed it's one of my favorite rifles as well. Was a part of my bucket list that I could fullfill. I bought mine in 1972, brand new, built in 1972 with a 12 groove rifling and paid Rs. 3200/ for it along with a complimentary box of Winchester H.P. ammo. Was scolded by friends for over paying, but I knew better and never regretted buying it till date. Lucky are the ones who possess this highly elegant, good looking and accurate rifle. The western side of the world was quite unaware of its existance for a long time as it lay hidden behind iron curtain. A few managed to sneak in into India, fortunately for our uncles and grand dads.
Cheers to Brno rifles.

Marksman :) :)

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Beautiful beautiful rifles! I am in love with the stocks on them!
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:45 am

marksman wrote:I bought mine in 1972, brand new, built in 1972 with a 12 groove rifling and paid Rs. 3200/ for it along with a complimentary box of Winchester H.P. ammo. Was scolded by friends for over paying, but I knew better and never regretted buying it till date.

Marksman :) :)
Rs. 3200/- was a big chunk of money back then, but looking back now it is money well invested. Would love to see a picture or two of this rifle.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Lovely stocks Herb.... they make the world's best rimfire repeater even more lovable.

I grew up firing the Mark I and Mark IIs at my club and a.22 Hornet version we have at home... I have shot a few thousand rounds through them. And could go on and on and on...

Thanks for a great post that needs few words .... the deep feelings and nostalgia say it all

TC

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:36 pm

i love those butts so much :D they look immaculate.who customized your guns,DIY?
regards
dr.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:36 am

Herb, you must have been able to pick through a bunch of them to get that kind of wood. Usually they run pretty plain wood. The fanciest wood I ever got on a BRNO, on a 601 in .375 H&H, broke through the grip with the second shot, and the replacement was plain as a flooring board. They didn't seem to do any grading, it was a throw of the dice.