The Motorcycle Touring Thread

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Re: The Motorcycle Touring Thread

Post by AgentDoubleS » Wed May 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Kanwar, I use the following setup:

1. Tank bag; Rynox Optimus 2.0 with an anti slip yellow layer to prevent scratches and slips. I would whole heartedly recoommend this setup.
2. Dirtsack frogman saddle bags- excellent setup and waterproofing but compromises convience. Ideal for a leh or mountain trip with rain and slush to tackle.
3. Tail bag: wildcraft aqua 40ltrs. Its not the ideal touring bag because of the soft material that tends to sag quite a lot once packed. What has really helped has been the ROK straps I tie it with. These straps are a must have and take away all the pain from tying the tail bag. The yellow strap that you see is from redlineplus.in and is quite ordinary is its tying ability.

The via terra has some positive feeback but I didn't get it for only one reason: We tour a lot as a couple so pillion seat availability is a must.

I've heard of a few disadvantages;
1.. Easy accessibility and segregation of luggage is compromised due to its single large holding space.
2. The weight of the luggage is carried very high up due to its design raising the centre of gravity.

However as a solo traveller its easy to pack and tie and takes away the pain and time when you have to do it for 7 days in a row!

Have you looked at the dirtsack pro or frogman? The frogman is rugged but is not the most convenient to pack. If I were to buy a bag again I'd probably opt for the pro. Whatever you get, do get the rok straps!

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu May 21, 2015 1:47 am

Nice work AgentDoubleS - thanks for sharing!

Here are some images from a recent road trip in WA, OR and ID

We have a town called Madras in the USA (y)

Amazing Crater Lake OR

Although it was hot and sunny on the highway it was snowing in Crater Lake a mere 40 min drive up the mountain!

Windmills Galore

Stretched out highways

[youtube][/youtube]

Modded Motorcycle
Last edited by ckkalyan on Thu May 21, 2015 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu May 21, 2015 2:11 am

On one of my stops I got to handle this old, late 1800's beauty of a single shot rifle. So light and easy to shoulder.

Hopkins & Allen Single Shot, Junior 932, Boys Breechloading Rifle .32 Cal, Falling Block, rear sight missing.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 pm

AgentDoubleS wrote:Kanwar, I use the following setup:

1. Tank bag; Rynox Optimus 2.0 with an anti slip yellow layer to prevent scratches and slips. I would whole heartedly recoommend this setup.
2. Dirtsack frogman saddle bags- excellent setup and waterproofing but compromises convience. Ideal for a leh or mountain trip with rain and slush to tackle.
3. Tail bag: wildcraft aqua 40ltrs. Its not the ideal touring bag because of the soft material that tends to sag quite a lot once packed. What has really helped has been the ROK straps I tie it with. These straps are a must have and take away all the pain from tying the tail bag. The yellow strap that you see is from redlineplus.in and is quite ordinary is its tying ability.

The via terra has some positive feeback but I didn't get it for only one reason: We tour a lot as a couple so pillion seat availability is a must.

I've heard of a few disadvantages;
1.. Easy accessibility and segregation of luggage is compromised due to its single large holding space.
2. The weight of the luggage is carried very high up due to its design raising the centre of gravity.

However as a solo traveller its easy to pack and tie and takes away the pain and time when you have to do it for 7 days in a row!

Have you looked at the dirtsack pro or frogman? The frogman is rugged but is not the most convenient to pack. If I were to buy a bag again I'd probably opt for the pro. Whatever you get, do get the rok straps!

Thanks AD,

I agree with your observation on Viaterra Claw. That is why I am in two minds to pick it up and in any case I need something which i can use with my Viaterra leh Saddle bags.

My current setup is Crapster Turtle as a tank bag with Dirtsack rain cover and Viaterra Leh saddle bags. Looking for a tail bag which I can use with saddlebags. Got a word from Viaterra that they are going to come out with a tailbag by end of this month. Lets see, If its seems good wil pick it up. otherwise will use simple duffle bag as a tailbag.

Earlier i use to use bungy cord for tying bags but been hearing a lot about ROK straps. need to find out where I can pick these up.

Thanks for replying.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu May 21, 2015 11:19 pm

CK, thanks for sharing the pictures. That rifle looks neat and could do with a restoration treatment from our fellow member TC! My wife and I have been thinking of doing a west coast road trip in the US. Still undecided whether we want to do it by car or a motorcycle. There's so much left to explore in India.

Inder,

I recently visited a Decathlon store in Delhi and saw some seemingly sturdy bags that would serve well on motorcycles, I can't recall the brand. They had options for 30,40 and 60 litres. Worth a look if you have a Decathalon store nearby. Rynox came up with a tail bag recently that I didn't quite like.

I'll probably get the dirstsack rain cover too for my wildcraft aqua. I used bungee cords, ropes et al too for some time. Learnt to tie all those different knots from youtube and the luggage still gave issues. ROK straps were godsend for me.

Theres a guy in banglore who stocks rok straps, he's the authorised dealer for SW Mototech. Bigbadbikes i think it's called.

Cheers,
ADS

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 am

ckkalyan wrote:Here are some images from a recent road trip in WA, OR and ID
Thanks for sharing the photographs. What a beautiful place you have discovered.

Regards

Atul

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri May 22, 2015 7:41 pm

What gorgeous photos, CK.
Truly an unforgettable experience?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Sat May 23, 2015 1:51 am

Hey promise breaker ... I thought I was gonna get a ride... Just kidding bro... Bonnevile is the most useable and practical bike much better than the lower end Harleys
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sat May 23, 2015 12:47 pm

captrakshitsharma wrote:Hey promise breaker ... I thought I was gonna get a ride... Just kidding bro... Bonnevile is the most useable and practical bike much better than the lower end Harleys
It wasn't me! Someone on the forum promised he'll check his roster and plan a get together.let me check through the history and find out who it was, and then we can deal with him together! :)

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun May 24, 2015 6:05 am

Thanks aadhaulya, AgentDoubleS, xl_target

Absolutely amazing experience, I felt like an explorer from years ago. When I spotted the single shot rifle the person that came immediately to mind was TC! I thought to myself that I must take a few photos for him to enjoy :D

It also occurred to me that the whole trip on a motorcyclye would have been quite awesome!

From Sun to Snow in a jiffy

Antique Gas Station & Grocery

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Sun May 24, 2015 11:48 am

It looks like your trips deserve a travelogue CK... Will look forward to more pictures and experiences.

Cheers,
ADS

AgentDoubleS

Post by AgentDoubleS » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:43 pm

Agent 99 and I did a couple's trip to Ladakh this late August. What a brilliant adventure it was! She flew in mid journey and flew back from Leh while I turdged along on the Bonneville the entire length of the trip.

Trip Summary:

Route:
Onward:Delhi>Pathankot>Jammu>Srinagar>Sonmarg>Kargil>Leh>Pangong Tso>Leh>Khardung La>Leh
Return: Leh>Sarchu>Keylong>Manali>Kullu>Chandigarh>Delhi

Duration: 13 days
Distance: 3000 kms
Time on the saddle: 100 hours +

Route:

The inevitable rain in Punjab:

Enroute Drass:

Zoji La:

Kargil Town:

Dal Lake, Srinagar

Agent 99 at Sonmarg:

Tanglang La:

A night in the tent, that's a 1978 Royal Enfield Standard!! :

Post Rohtang Pass:

Army Convoys:

Highest motorable road in the world...well arguably!

Some not so easy stretches:

The cute wildlife:

Agent 99 admiring the roads:

Changlang La (17800 ft)!

Mulbekh Town:

Pangong Tso Lake: (500 sq kms, 150 km long and 2/3rd in China, 1/3rd in India):

More Plains (16000 ft):

I assure you this is not photoshopped!:

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:26 pm

Thanks for sharing
only one thing i can say pics are owesome.last 2 pics are from moore plains?

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:36 pm

ADS, you are the one having fun in life. Keep it up. Just love the pics.

Atul

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:04 am

sorry for off topic but changl la is more difficult then khardug la.what are you opinions
thanks