Increasing Power of an Air Rifle

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Increasing Power of an Air Rifle

Post by sa_ali » Wed May 27, 2015 1:36 pm

No I am not pulling your leg bro, there is no differentiation in law for gunsmith for air and gun. I ran into issue when i was trying to get mirror finish to my airgun cylinder. I am just suggesting that unless you have everything in house, its fine, but if you are venturing out to get anything made or developed then better have some reliable folks who share your passion.

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Wed May 27, 2015 4:01 pm

sa_ali wrote:No I am not pulling your leg bro, there is no differentiation in law for gunsmith for air and gun. I ran into issue when i was trying to get mirror finish to my airgun cylinder. I am just suggesting that unless you have everything in house, its fine, but if you are venturing out to get anything made or developed then better have some reliable folks who share your passion.
Thanks for the warning. I have most of the equipment and tools in my home workshop. But I would be requiring some minor fabrication from the market. Keeping in view your opinion I wold have to be extra careful getting the job done outside.

Regards

Atul

harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshvardhan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:01 pm

Dear Friends the formula E = mc² used here is wrong in this context,Because it is the formula for conversion of mass into energy....It's generally useful in the context of nuclear reactors where uranium mass is converted into huge energy with nuclear fusion.

Energy = mass x the speed of light squared

The major player of Air rifle power is
1.Swapt Volume
2.Spring Strength
3.Piston Weight
4.Seal Fitments
5.Internal Friction
4.Breech Seal
5.Transfer Port..
Moreover, each attribute tuned properly and with correct material give birth to idiosyncrasy....

here is a small explanation

Swapt Volume Can be increased by shortening piston length but we have to maintain the weight of the piston by providing top hat or washer inside the piston for regaining its correct weight lost due to shortening its length,
Changing the leather piston seal with synthetic one contribute to the increase in swapt volume and better sealing.
Internal friction can be minimized by polishing sharp edges and piston bearing with fine grit and applying molly,the spring,spring guide will also undergo the similar treatment,

Often overlooked part is breech seal..proper rubber sealing will always ensure extra fpe and fps by ensuring proper compression...

If someone is not an expert please do not play with transfer post as the change is irreversible.....
The pellet does not move out from the barrel in single stroke its wait in the barrel some way forward when compression starts then leaves the barrel.
transfer port provides the grip to the pellet ,correct grip ensures that the pellet takes maximum from the compression.......

this are all information only...final joy will lie on tuners hand...knowledge can be shared my...but the tuners insight and special skills are gained by experience......

Thank you,

PeterTheFish
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by PeterTheFish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:59 am

e=mv^2 is absolutely the right formula. the items you list increase v

which increase e. whether or not e is relevant is a different question.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:46 am

Welcome back Harsha......after a long time.....
ARs are very unique in its own way.
Many researches are done and continuing.....
There are many permutations/combinations in respect of factors ,you mentioned.
At the end of the day , all I need , a gun with decent power with top accuracy.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshvardhan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:13 am

PeterTheFish wrote:e=mv^2 is absolutely the right formula. the items you list increase v

Dear friend
The formula of kinetic energy is Ke=1/2 mv^2.
This is the right formula in this context.

PeterTheFish
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by PeterTheFish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:16 am

harshvardhan wrote:
PeterTheFish wrote:e=mv^2 is absolutely the right formula. the items you list increase v

Dear friend
The formula of kinetic energy is Ke=1/2 mv^2.
This is the right formula in this context.
I forgot a factor of integration, you misunderstood the application. No one is perfect.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:46 am

Thanks for your input guys, but this project has been shelved by me for the moment due to lack of funds and job right now.

Atul

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:08 am

Hi to all IFGians.

I have also the same thought of increasing the speed of the pellet.More specifically a best way according to me is increasing the swept volume.For this we have two options 1.increasing receiver ID. 2.Increasing the swept length, both will increase the volume of air getting compressed.But the feasible way is to keep the receiver ID at constant and increasing the swept length.Most of the imported rifles are having more swept volume than indian made counterparts.We can see the difference between IHP 35 of 50cc and diana 350 of 71cc.Both the guns have the same ID of the receiver(28mm).but diana 350 has a long one.Hence it can achieve a compression stroke of 115mm(11.5cm).where ihp 35 has a stroke near 80mm.We can do little modifications to improve the performance little bit.but no way reach the level of diana 350.hence we need a long receiver tube,long piston,long spring,also some modifications in the cocking arm placement to achieve the cocking length for new measurements.The pivot of the cocking arm should be moved little bit towards the muzzle and ofcourse a long cocking arm is needed.Then we can weld this new receiver tube to a old gun near the transfer port.The slots in receiver should be cut accordingly and also a long spring guide.Also using a heavier pellet to use in this rifle will give best results after the completion.

Challenges for this project were:
1.Procuring a seamless receiver tube between 28mm to 30mm ID
2.Making the parts like piston and spring guide
3.Finding a lathe machinery or a friendly lathe shop who accepts to take this project
4.Firmly welding the new receiver tube with the port of a old rifle without a leak.
I have shared my thoughts about the subject of upgrading an indian made air rifle on par with imported ones.Please correct me if there is any absurdity.Lets see who comes with a finished product.

Also i share a link which has the comparison of swept volume and swept length of some air rifles
"http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... ic=26322.0"
With regards,
vsraja

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:03 pm

Dear vsraja,
Your idea for magnum power AR , is very correct.
I am always concerned by either weight or high vibe of magnum powered ARs.
I am afraid , how much pleasing an Indian AR will be at 18 fpe ,if at all made.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:14 am

Basu wrote:Dear vsraja,
Your idea for magnum power AR , is very correct.
I am always concerned by either weight or high vibe of magnum powered ARs.
I am afraid , how much pleasing an Indian AR will be at 18 fpe ,if at all made.

Basu
The vibration can be reduced by using the spring guide with right fit to the spring,right size of transfer port,etc.We are changing the dimensions as a whole and hence the swept length.May be there is a chance for less vibration than the currently available guns if it was rightly made.Thankyou sir.
With regards,
vsraja

Shiv22
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Shiv22 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi Airgun Gurus,

Anybody knows the exact dimensions of Diana 350 Magnum compression tube.
Regards,
Shiva