Which airgun should I buy?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Which airgun should I buy?

Post by Big Daddy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:40 pm

K1eaner wrote:
Membership...right, about that is this link is the closest. I'm still no sure on where to join. Gachibowli is quite far from where I live and the RAAP office lists it in Srinagar, which is close to where I live. so I'm hoping they have a range close to their office address so I can practice and be back home for my chores and family. I NEED advise and information on clubs near secunderabad, please do share if you know of any
Its simple. If you reside at Hyderabad or Secunderabad, you should join Telangana Rifle Association (formaly Telangana State Rifle Association). Its in Road No 12. RAAP (Rifle Association of Andhra Pradesh) is in Bank Street and meant for Andhra Pradesh. These are both offices only and do not sport a range. The only range I know of in Hyderabad is the one at the University of Hyderabad campus. Using that range involves a separate fee. Used to be 500 a month years back.... not sure now. Admission to TRA is straight forward and corruption free (at least when I enrolled). Fee is structured in to two categories, Student and Non Student. I do not remember the fee amount but a life member, apart from his life membership fee, will have to pay an anual administrative fee too (a reasonable amount). I remember the anual administrative fee for a student. Its Rs 500. Makes sense. The club will have administrative expenses. Below is the detail of TRA.

TELANGANA RIFLE ASSOCIATION (TRA)

8-2-686/D/L/2,
Road No. 12,
Banjara Hills,
Hyderabad-500034,
Tel: 040-65656263,

Hope this helps.

BD
Last edited by Big Daddy on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

For Advertising mail webmaster
K1eaner
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by K1eaner » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:23 am

Big Daddy wrote:
K1eaner wrote:
Membership...right, about that is this link is the closest. I'm still no sure on where to join. Gachibowli is quite far from where I live and the RAAP office lists it in Srinagar, which is close to where I live. so I'm hoping they have a range close to their office address so I can practice and be back home for my chores and family. I NEED advise and information on clubs near secunderabad, please do share if you know of any
Its simple. If you reside at Hyderabad or Secunderabad, you should join Telangana Rifle Association (formaly Telangana State Rifle Association). Its in Road No 12. RAAP (Rifle Association of Andhra Pradesh) is in Bank Street and meant for Andhra Pradesh. This are both offices only and do not sport a range. The only range I know of in Hyderabad is the one at the University of Hyderabad campus. Using that range involves a separate fee. Used to be 500 a month years back.... not sure now. Admission to TRA is straight forward and corruption free (at least when I enrolled). Fee is structured in to two categories, Student and Non Student. I do not remember the fee amount but a life member, apart from his life membership fee, will have to pay an anual administrative fee too (a reasonable amount). I remember the anual administrative fee for a student. Its Rs 500. Makes sense. The club will have administrative expenses. Below is the detail of TRA.

TELANGANA RIFLE ASSOCIATION (TRA)

8-2-686/D/L/2,
Road No. 12,
Banjara Hills,
Hyderabad-500034,
Tel: 040-65656263,

Hope this helps.

BD
Thank you @Big Daddy. Will pay them a visit early next week and confirm the structure of fees and such. Will post my findings here.

Another request I had was about the second hand AG's. Know where I can get some?

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:32 am

K1eaner wrote:Another request I had was about the second hand AG's. Know where I can get some?
Usually its a word of mouth thing. However keep an eye on the Buy / Sell section of the forum.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

K1eaner
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by K1eaner » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Big Daddy wrote:
K1eaner wrote:Another request I had was about the second hand AG's. Know where I can get some?
Usually its a word of mouth thing. However keep an eye on the Buy / Sell section of the forum.

BD
Cheers, yeah, about that, the buy/sell section. I see not many people are willing to part with their old guns. I bet sentiment has a lot to do with that. "This is my first gun, I like that gun etc., etc."

We Indians tend to cling onto things :D we've always been sentimental.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:15 pm

K1eaner wrote:
Cheers, yeah, about that, the buy/sell section. I see not many people are willing to part with their old guns. I bet sentiment has a lot to do with that. "This is my first gun, I like that gun etc., etc."

We Indians tend to cling onto things :D we've always been sentimental.
It has more to it than just sentiments. Most Indian guns are springers, and are tuned and customized to suit ones one particular tastes, which might not match to others. And about the imported ones you are looking for, not many people have them to sell them second hand. :lol: When someone goes through all the hassles of importing one, they choose a gun that is perfect for their needs and there is no need to bother about it any more. Sporting\plinking air rifles are rarely sold, they are prized possessions unless there is dire need. Most air rifles sold second hand are match rifles sold by sporting enthusiasts to upgrade to better models, not used for the backyard hobby.
Moreover, there is never one do it all gun, so you keep accumulating guns for different uses. The TX200 you are looking to buy will last a lifetime of any man, should you get one , but you will see that all intentions of selling will just vanish just after holding it, but you might soon lust after another PCP. There is no buying a last air rifle, most of us here have broken that promise quite a few times . :wink:
"Aim small, miss small."

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Our IFgian Moulindu started with IHP .22.It was his first love.
Years down the line he got attracted to foreign one :D .
He got TX 200 in .177.
Things were moving nicely with both the darlings.
One day he happened to visit a local Mela.There he shot a few balloons and instantly fell in love again with SDB23 ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL .
His tension ended only having possessed the gun.

Moral- You tend to look for something different most of the time ,come what may. :mrgreen:
My number went up 1 to 5 within 3 yrs :stupid: :mrgreen:

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

K1eaner
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by K1eaner » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:03 pm

So, basically what @Sam and @Basu are trying to say is... "Bro, buy your gun, get into a club THEN you'll understand why the Buy/sell section is always empty,"

:D

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Basu wrote: My number went up 1 to 5 within 3 yrs :stupid: :mrgreen:

Basu

..............and counting!!! ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

chicky
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by chicky » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 am

Hi,

Wanted to know if anyone has a recent experience with Relish Sports, have been trying to contact them for days but have been unable to do so. Are they still functioning or have they closed down ?

Thanks...
"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:46 pm

K1eaner wrote:Saw one at Here, on that note, how reliable is the website? I tried looking around the forums, found bits and pieces of information on it, nothing solid. Would appreciate first hand feedback on should I get it from there or not.
First thing you need to ask yourself whats the purpose for buying an airgun.....for targetshooting/casual plinking
For later you can buy an affordable indian brand like SDB or precihole, they are very good for plinking as most of us are involved in casual plinking.
If its target shooting then should join a club as mentioned by BD.
IMO buying first airgun its like buying first car...I would start with a standard family car like alto or i10, once my skills are improved can switch to a lavish model. Moreover you can learn basic tuning skills with your trusty indian model. After using the indian brand if you think the shooting bug has bitten you bad then can upgrade to a foreign brand or else can sell it without harming your pocket.
Most of the times those airguns stay in store without even being used
So i would suggest you to do a lot of research & clear out your intent for purchasing an airgun
Basu wrote:One day he happened to visit a local Mela.There he shot a few balloons and instantly fell in love again with SDB23
Basuda those were not balloons but those small animal silhouettes hung up with string.Shot up those strings as well to swagger :wink:
You never know what you mite like even out of ordinary...such is this hobby.
Basu wrote:Moral- You tend to look for something different most of the time ,come what may.
:agree:
moulindu

K1eaner
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by K1eaner » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:12 pm

moulindu wrote:
K1eaner wrote:Saw one at Here, on that note, how reliable is the website? I tried looking around the forums, found bits and pieces of information on it, nothing solid. Would appreciate first hand feedback on should I get it from there or not.
First thing you need to ask yourself whats the purpose for buying an airgun.....for targetshooting/casual plinking
For later you can buy an affordable indian brand like SDB or precihole, they are very good for plinking as most of us are involved in casual plinking.
If its target shooting then should join a club as mentioned by BD.
IMO buying first airgun its like buying first car...I would start with a standard family car like alto or i10, once my skills are improved can switch to a lavish model. Moreover you can learn basic tuning skills with your trusty indian model. After using the indian brand if you think the shooting bug has bitten you bad then can upgrade to a foreign brand or else can sell it without harming your pocket.
Most of the times those airguns stay in store without even being used
So i would suggest you to do a lot of research & clear out your intent for purchasing an airgun
That's what all this is about bro, the websites, the research, me talking to you guys, trying to figure out if I wanna go for target shooting or casual plinking. I know for a fact that I'm interested in long range shooting (live ammo). I would really like to get a rifle that shoots a 30.06 round. I just love how one use bullets ranging from 125 grain to 220 grain. That's a different topic.

Sticking to airguns. Yes, I would like to get into targetshooting, I've felt and handled the local brands, the sight's were off, the weapon was clunky and weight ratio was off. All in all, felt unbalanced. With that being said, the only way for me to get a quality gun is to import it, that can only be done by one or two retailers, should I try to import it myself is a bit of a hassle, with customs and all. Both methods of import (retail and self) require club membership. So, need to join one.

Should someone be willing to part with their old rifles, I can skip the clubs, the importing and all and get right down to it. Then work my way into getting a gun license and get that rifle. So yeah, now you know where I stand. :D

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:21 pm

K1eaner wrote:[
.... and get right down to it. Then work my way into getting a gun license and get that rifle. So yeah, now you know where I stand. :D
That is a goal many people have, including myself.

K1eaner wrote:
Sticking to airguns. Yes, I would like to get into targetshooting, I've felt and handled the local brands, the sight's were off, the weapon was clunky and weight ratio was off. All in all, felt unbalanced. With that being said, the only way for me to get a quality gun is to import it, that can only be done by one or two retailers, should I try to import it myself is a bit of a hassle, with customs and all. Both methods of import (retail and self) require club membership. So, need to join one.
May I ask which local airguns you have tried? There are a few clunky ones out there for sure, but if you say all Indian made guns are clunky and disbalanced, you will not find many guns even manufactured in England to be much better. You will have to get a 2 lakh Anchutz for competitive shooting .
You say the sights were off, but the fact is no gun comes in with their sights zeroed. Shooting a gun is not easy as video games, where you put the crosshairs\sights on the target and press the trigger and the target is annihilated. Even after you zero your rifle, it will require adjustments to keep on shooting straight.
You say you want an air rifle for target shooting, and then move to a .30-06?? If you take up air rifle target shooting seriously, you will not have time for anything . Shooting at a target paper on your spare time be it at home or range, doesn't make you a target shooter.(no disrespect intended)
How many shots have you fired from any air rifle in the previous few years?(again no disrespect intended) The quality of the gun, its balance, its sights all impact accuracy, but once you yourself have reached a degree of proficiency. More over without shooting, how will you know what kind of balance and qualities you want in your air rifle? When it comes to air rifles, quality means more than just skin deep beauty. You never mentioned anything about trigger, powerplant or barrel.Reading reviews on the net and seeing videos on youtube will not help much unless you get some first hand shooting experience. Having preconceived notions often leads to disappointment, frustrations and ultimately leads to abandonment of the hobby.
My friend, you are going way too fast, slow down, think and analyze and then continue on your journey.
"Aim small, miss small."

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Dear sam47,

I have a view that during last three years , Indian air gun manufacturing have improved insignificantly.
Precihole was the 1st Indian Company who came with high standard ARs along with technology.
Soon it was followed by SDB with variants.
Armar showed a lot of promise at the early stage , hope they will bounce back again.
Under the proposed rule of 15 fpe , the manufacturers have already pushed their products upto that limit.
After sale service ,has also improved simultaneously.
A beginner can choose a rifle from 2.6 - 4.0 kgs and power from 5- 14.5 fpe.
What we lack is high standard pellets.
These days India needs to have standard pellet manufacturers.
So for a beginner now , there are options , unlike old days.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

K1eaner
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by K1eaner » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:13 pm

sam 47 wrote:May I ask which local airguns you have tried? There are a few clunky ones out there for sure, but if you say all Indian made guns are clunky and disbalanced, you will not find many guns even manufactured in England to be much better. You will have to get a 2 lakh Anchutz for competitive shooting .
Not sure about the names, friend had one, tried one at a local store and at a mall.

sam 47 wrote:You say the sights were off, but the fact is no gun comes in with their sights zeroed. Shooting a gun is not easy as video games, where you put the crosshairs\sights on the target and press the trigger and the target is annihilated. Even after you zero your rifle, it will require adjustments to keep on shooting straight.
Well, I should've mentioned this before. I have had fired weapons (not in India), used them and know about zeroing in sights and such. Taking into account the bullet drop, spin drift etc., to name a few factors that come into account when you're trying to shoot a long ranges.

sam 47 wrote:You say you want an air rifle for target shooting, and then move to a .30-06?? If you take up air rifle target shooting seriously, you will not have time for anything . Shooting at a target paper on your spare time be it at home or range, doesn't make you a target shooter.(no disrespect intended)
How many shots have you fired from any air rifle in the previous few years?(again no disrespect intended) The quality of the gun, its balance, its sights all impact accuracy, but once you yourself have reached a degree of proficiency. More over without shooting, how will you know what kind of balance and qualities you want in your air rifle? When it comes to air rifles, quality means more than just skin deep beauty. You never mentioned anything about trigger, powerplant or barrel.Reading reviews on the net and seeing videos on youtube will not help much unless you get some first hand shooting experience. Having preconceived notions often leads to disappointment, frustrations and ultimately leads to abandonment of the hobby.
My friend, you are going way too fast, slow down, think and analyze and then continue on your journey.
Yeah, about what has been written in this bit here, this is want I'm finding out. I know I won't be able to get everything by just reading and I need hands on. I agree when you tell me that I've only just scratched the surface. I've also been told that this is a time consuming sport (like you've stated). I need to check if I can balance work, family and shooting. If I can't, then I'll just have to be satisfied at shooting paper targets at home.

BUT. Most importantly is to attain license and get that 30.06 rifle.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 pm

sam 47 wrote:When it comes to air rifles, quality means more than just skin deep beauty. Reading reviews on the net and seeing videos on youtube will not help much unless you get some first hand shooting experience.
:agree: Spot on.

BD