my interests (6 pics) 2 more pics added

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
I Like Pie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

my interests (6 pics) 2 more pics added

Post by I Like Pie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:58 am

I have honeybees. This is a picture of a new beehive just starting out. It is located in my back yard. There are three others just like it.
I used to teach Summer beekeeping classes some years ago at the university here. I've had honey bees my whole life, since I was a child.

I also grow curry leaf trees. I have three varieties now. Starting from left to right, the first one was smuggled as a cutting on an airplane from Kerala by my mother in-law. She did it before I ever met her! I just got a cutting from her original plant. (It is illegal to import live curry leaf trees to the USA).
The second I found in an Indian grocery market in San Antonio, Texas.
The third I found in a plant nursery in Austin, Texas.
They are each a little different in color, leaf shape and size. The one from Kerala has the best flavor and aroma! I now have over 40 trees of various size. My wife uses them in the kitchen almost every day.

Guns. I have quite a few guns. Many I don't have pictures of, but here are a few interesting ones:

A French MAS 56/49 chambered in 7.5 French. In like New condition. It has a complete accessory kit, including bayonet, grenade launcher and sight, original unused cleaning kit, magazines with magazine pouch, leather sling, and other odd bits.

Two Swiss K-31 chambered in 7.5 Swiss. These are old surplus rifles, but they are in excellent condition. Very accurate shooters.

Here is an old Clock 21 chambered in .45acp. This is a Gen 2 and I've had this for over 20 years. It has a little holster wear on the slide. Still shoots like it did when it was new.

Last, a Glock 30, also chambered in .45acp. This one is a Gen 3 and I've had it for about 16 years now.

I'll try to get a good picture of my CZ's, Colts, and S&W's for next time.

Some of you may have noticed in the last two pictures there is a copy of "Vegetarian Times" magazine. Yes, my wife is a vegetarian. But not me!
Last edited by I Like Pie on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Some pictures of my interests (6 pics)

Post by Prabhath » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:32 am

Nice ......seem to be a hardcore Glock fan. Waiting to see pictures of your S&W's. Turning vegetarian is not too bad..........been one from the last 9 years......no complaints so far :)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:32 am

Sweet. I wish I could grow a curry leaves tree here.Too cold for it to survive.

Nice guns there. Especially the MAS and the k-31s. Another member, MoA, has them and he only has good words to say about them.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

I Like Pie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by I Like Pie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:40 am

Vikram wrote:Sweet. I wish I could grow a curry leaves tree here.Too cold for it to survive.

Nice guns there. Especially the MAS and the k-31s. Another member, MoA, has them and he only has good words to say about them.

Best-
Vikram
So I looked at a climate chart for Tbilisi,Georgia. You should be able to grow curry leaf trees there with no problem, but you would have to grow them in pots and bring them inside during cold months. I have some friends in Chicago that I sent a tree. They keep it in a pot on their apartment balcony in the Spring, Summer and fall, then bring it indoors for Winter. It loses its leaves in Winter, but it comes back in the Spring.

Even here in Texas I have to shelter mine in a greenhouse in Winter. They don't like freezing temps. This year all of mine lost leaves in Winter, but they are all already coming back. I can give you more specific info if you want to grow some. It's not hard at all.

P.S. Someone on the board tried to PM me. I have not answered because I can't. My account is too new. So whoever you are, it will just have to wait.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 pm

I tried to grow it in the garden instead of in a pot. I think I have to try that this spring. Thanks for the tips.

BTW, what is your impression about the MAS? Cheers.

I Like Pie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by I Like Pie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:38 am

Vikram wrote:I tried to grow it in the garden instead of in a pot. I think I have to try that this spring. Thanks for the tips.

BTW, what is your impression about the MAS? Cheers.

The MAS is a heavy rifle. Seems well made, but Here in the US I fear that some spare parts might be a problem. Extra magazines are rare. and ammo is available, but only online or specialty shops will carry it.
Other than that, it's OK I guess. Not one of my shooters. Just an interesting specimen to look at and talk about.

I much prefer shooting the K31 Swiss rifles. Almost as heavy, but much better balance and handling.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Many thanks for sharing details of your interests I Like Pie !! (y)

Very cool collection :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

I Like Pie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by I Like Pie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:17 am

OK here are a couple more pics of a few long guns I have laying around the house. I will add a few more in a day or two.

This one from the top: A Winchester 1200 12 Ga. Shotgun. This was used as a police shotgun in San Antonio Tx. It has SAPD markings on it and it was obviously stored in a shotgun lock inside a police car. If you look at the wear around the receiver it's a dead giveaway. I paid $75 dollars for it in 2001. It was a steal. It's only 2 3/4 inch shells though.

The second is a Remington Wingmaster 870. Parkerized finish. This gun was once part of the armory inventory in Huntsville State Prison in Huntsville Texas. Very heavy and rugged.

Third is a Romanian M1969 .22 Long Rifle training rifle. Back in the 90's you could buy these for $39 dollars plus shipping. I still have 10 of these rifles. They all shoot well. Extra magazines are impossible to find, but the rifle is bomb-proof.

The fourth is a Marlin 1894c .357Mag./.38 Special. I put a Williams rear peep sight and a Lyman front globe sight on this. Good little carbine.

Next pic is a Colt 6720. I bought two of these about a year ago. Fun to plink with. The 6720 is the lightweight carbine. It has a very thin "pencil" barrel. It's a bit lighter weight than the standard 6920 "M4". Other than the barrel, it's identical to the 6920. Every pound counts when you carry it yourself!

I Like Pie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: my interests (6 pics) 2 more pics added

Post by I Like Pie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:03 am

So today I decided to open the safe and have a look at the revolvers. Earlier in this thread, Prabhath indicated that I might be a hardcore Glock fan. I can assure you nothing could be further from the truth. Sure I like Glocks, but my passion really lies with revolvers. So here are a few pics of my revolvers for you to peruse.

The first picture is snub nose/concealed carry revolvers. Top left is the first gun I ever bought. A Ruger SP-101 chambered in 38 spec/.357Mag. I bought this gun a little over 25 years ago. It's had thousands of rounds shot through it. Love that gun. I think I paid $300 dollars for it in 1990.

Top right is a Smith and Wesson Model 649. Chambered in .38/.357Mag. As you see, it has a hammer shroud. You can still cock the hammer, but the shrouded sided prevent the hammer from snagging on your clothing when you draw from concealment. I've had this for 15 years or so. I don't shoot it much at all, nor do I carry it. My wife likes it for her purse, but she only likes shooting .38 Special out of it.

Bottom Right is a Smith and Wesson Model 60 with a three inch barrel chambered in .38/.357 Mag. I like shooting this gun quite a bit. Very light. Almost too light for .357Mag.

Top Left is a Smith and Wesson AirLite 317 with a three inch barrel chambered in .22 Long Rifle. It has a Hi-Viz fiber optic front sight and it weighs about 11 ounces. Super light weight. Very nice to take backpacking/camping/hiking.

This next pic has my only single action revolvers. The top is a Ruger Bearcat 6-shot .22 LR. It's really small. Made for children really. I don't shoot it much at all, I just like it.

The bottom is a Ruger Super Blackhawk Convertible. 4.5 inch barrel. It has two cylinders; one chambered for .38/.357Mag and the other is chambered for 9mm. Very fun gun to shoot.

The last pic has standard and large size revolvers.
Starting at the Top Right is a Smith and Wesson Model 686 with six inch heavy barrel. 38/.357Mag. Great shooter.

Middle Right is a Smith and Wesson Model 66 with six inch barrel. Identical to the 686 except the barrel is standard. This is my favorite gun of all. Better balance than the 686 in my opinion.

Bottom Right is a Smith and Wesson Model 65 chambered in 38/.357Mag. with a four inch Bull barrel. (somewhat heavy). It has fixed sights. This is almost my favorite gun ever. Let's call it my second favorite.

On the Top Left is a Smith and Wesson 617 with a ten inch heavy barrel chambered in .22 long rifle. 10-shots. I like this one very much. It is built on a K-Frame, which is the same frame used for .38/.357 full sizes revolvers. It has a target trigger and hammer (wider than standard trigger and hammer) It's heavy. Very accurate.

Middle Left is a Ruger Super Redhawk with eight inch barrel chambered in .44 Mag/.44 special. It's a very accurate hand cannon.

Bottom Left is a Smith and Wesson 629 Performance Center Hunter with eight inch compensated barrel chambered in .44 mag/.44 special. I like shooting this. It has a base and rings for a scope, but I like iron sights.

I obviously like the .38 Special/.357 Magnum calibers. I would like to get a few more Rugers and I also want a few more .22 lr revolvers. I especially want to get more single action Rugers. Cowboy action shooting has become very interesting to me lately. I already have the Marlin 1894c so all I need is another pistol and a good cowboy shotgun.

Alab Arsalan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Alab Arsalan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:10 pm

:) very nice collection Mr u like pie

I Like Pie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by I Like Pie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:52 am

Alab Arsalan wrote::) very nice collection Mr u like pie
Thanks Alab. You can call me 'Pie', if you like. I've been collecting guns for years. Some for shooting and some for just having. Some I wish I never bought, but still have. Most of my revolvers get shot fairly regularly.
In a few days I will take some pics of rifles or maybe semi-auto pistols. I don't know yet.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Pie,

That's a sweet collection of six guns. I see that you are partial to Rugers.

Best-
Vikram

I Like Pie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by I Like Pie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Vikram wrote:Pie,

That's a sweet collection of six guns. I see that you are partial to Rugers.

Best-
Vikram
Thanks Vikram, Yes, it seems Ruger dominates the single action market. I've owned a Uberti in .45 Colt and a Cimmeron (which are made by Uberti in Italy) ) in .357 Mag. They are nice but the Rugers have a much better fit and finish in my opinion. Plus rulers are widely known for being made to handle (hot) loads that other guns can't. They are truly built like tanks.

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:38 am

Very impressive hobbies, the guns were a delight. The USA is certainly the place to be for gun hobbyists.

But this one takes the pie:
I Like Pie wrote:....the first one was smuggled as a cutting on an airplane from Kerala by my mother in-law. She did it before I ever met her! I just got a cutting from her original plant. (It is illegal to import live curry leaf trees to the USA).
Did the subtle leak lead to her arrest yet? [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-J200G using Tapatalk
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:18 pm

"I Like Pie" (y) (y) (y) (y) :cpix:

Awesome collection!!

Do you collect edged weapons as well?

You seem to have a lot of experience with Rugers, and being a revolver guy, how would rate them against Korth or Manurhin

By the way on the Curry leaves, I hear you. :D

Regards,
-P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."