air rifle suppressor?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Snipe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

air rifle suppressor?

Post by Snipe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:51 pm

Are air rifle silencers legal in India?
It looks like Precihole NX100 Polaris Karbin Black comes with sound suppressor http://www.kovibazaar.com/airguns-india ... 177cal45mm
Is it a real silencer or just a muzzle weight?

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: air rifle suppressor?

Post by mundaire » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:18 pm

That isn't a moderator/ suppressor, it looks more like a cocking aid to me. Anyway, if the airgun in question is exempt from the provisions of the Arms Act, the suppressor would be legal. If the airgun is not exempt (from the Arms Act), then the suppressor would be the least of the problems.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Snipe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Snipe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:23 pm

@mundaire thanks a lot for the help again. NX100 Polaris is 0.177 cal and has 16J so no license is required.
If the dongle in Karbin version is not a suppressor then I would go with full barrel length with http://www.kovibazaar.com/precihole-nx1 ... 177cal45mm
Any idea how to buy a silencer in India then? I can't find them in the web stores.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:48 pm

mundaire wrote:That isn't a moderator/ suppressor, it looks more like a cocking aid to me. Anyway, if the airgun in question is exempt from the provisions of the Arms Act, the suppressor would be legal. If the airgun is not exempt (from the Arms Act), then the suppressor would be the least of the problems.
It's actually a muzzle weight for tuning the barrel harmonics AFAIK. IDEALLY it should be adjustable all over the barrel for shifting the nodes closest to muzzle but I'm not sure if that can be done in practice.

Snipe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Snipe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Any idea if Precihole NX100 Polaris has threaded barrel to mount the suppressor then? How the muzzle weight is mounted on it?

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:05 pm

It is a muzzle weight only AFAIK. Springers/NP air rifles don't benefit much at all from suppressors because nearly all of the noises emanating from the gun are mechanical noises, the most prominent among them being the piston slamming home. A suppressor might be able to reduce the report, but the report of a springer is almost always overshadowed by the noise of the gun's action. So a suppressor might not produce a perceptible difference.
As for their availability, I think suppressors in India are rarer than diamonds ! There are no decent scope/optics available for airguns , let alone suppressors.
"Aim small, miss small."

Snipe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Snipe » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:11 pm

@sam 47 thanks for your input. I think that even if the decompression noise is 1/3 of it then it's worth a try. The question is if the muzzle has a proper thread. I guess that the muzzle weight is mounted on a thread, isn't it?

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:56 pm

No threaded muzzles on Indian airguns. You will need to get it done yourself if you're so keen. However I'm not sure how are you going to get one in India....

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:21 am

Making a suppressor is hardly rocket science, they use the same basic design principles as motorcycle/ car mufflers...
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Snipe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Snipe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:02 am

mundaire wrote:Making a suppressor is hardly rocket science, they use the same basic design principles as motorcycle/ car mufflers...
not exactly true ;) It's more complicated that you may think, but for air guns it is quite easy ;) My problem is not the suppressor itself, but how to mount it on Precihole NX100. I know how to do it now, but need to know an external diameter of NX100 muzzle.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:35 am

Snipe wrote: I think that even if the decompression noise is 1/3 of it then it's worth a try. The question is if the muzzle has a proper thread. I guess that the muzzle weight is mounted on a thread, isn't it?
No, there are no threaded muzzles on Indian airguns. The muzzle weight is added by the means of two Allen screws. However, it doesn't function to reduce noise, it is for adding some weight to the front of the rifle and might function as a cocking aid.
Check this link.http://www.kovibazaar.com/spares-india- ... ight-black . Please go through the description given below the product, I hope it will answer all your queries.
"Aim small, miss small."

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:46 am

There are a lot of 'jugaad' solutions for that but buying a proper suppressor in India may be like searching for a unicorn on Meston road, Kanpur... I'm not sure of their legality in India as well.

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Threading break barrels is quite easy in a lathe but i'm not sure how to thread the inner of the above muzzle weight since I've never tried that. All my ARs have threaded barrels now with muzzle brakes on them. Any metal airsoft suppressor with inner damping should work with most ARs we have here.
Last edited by estousandy on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

Snipe
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Snipe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:27 pm

nitroex700 wrote:There are a lot of 'jugaad' solutions for that but buying a proper suppressor in India may be like searching for a unicorn on Meston road, Kanpur... I'm not sure of their legality in India as well.
estousandy wrote:Threading break barrels is quite easy
There is an easier know solution for this: Image I just need to know the external diameter of the barrel at the muzzle.
nitroex700 wrote:I'm not sure of their legality in India as well.
I went throw whole Arm Rules document and it looks that it's legal to use it with legally owned air gun.

arni_genius
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by arni_genius » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Snipe wrote:
mundaire wrote:Making a suppressor is hardly rocket science, they use the same basic design principles as motorcycle/ car mufflers...
not exactly true ;) It's more complicated that you may think, but for air guns it is quite easy ;) My problem is not the suppressor itself, but how to mount it on Precihole NX100. I know how to do it now, but need to know an external diameter of NX100 muzzle.
Dear Snipe,

I have been thinking of making myself one with jugaad. PVC pipes, aluminium plates (as baffles in the shroud) and a 5mm drill bit. There are some videos in YT.

The problem of mounting it on the muzzle can be solved with duct tapes (black tape). Wind the tape coiling it on top of itself on the muzzle. It will increase the outer dia. Then you can squeeze fit the suppressor and then fix it with tape/araldite/loctite.

Regards,