NRI Arms Licence Refusal to Renew: Please Help

The legal aspects of owning, shooting, importing arms/ ammo and other related legal aspects as well as any other legal queries. Please note: This INCLUDES all arms licensing issues/ queries!
Ken674
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

NRI Arms Licence Refusal to Renew: Please Help

Post by Ken674 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:54 pm

I am NRI and I have arms license forms self protection and every time I used to renew it . But now they are opposing it and not renewing my license saying that NRI 's can't keep the guns .PLease advise

For Advertising mail webmaster
Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: NRI Arms Licence Refusal to Renew: Please Help

Post by Anand » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:13 pm

AFAIK that is false information being given to you. The Arms Act 1959 does not differentiate between citizen and (legal)resident. In fact, even a fresh Arms license can be given to an NRI, this is especially with regard to those NRI's who wish to obtain and keep their guns under heirloom category.

If you can prove that you are resident in India most of the time in any given year(even if you are a Green Carder), they may accept. Ask them to giv it in writing that they have such and such an objection to renewing your license. Usually they wont. You may have to ultimately go to Court.
Regards,
Anand

renjith747
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by renjith747 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:44 pm

As per arms rules 2016 under chapter IV Deposit of arms and ammunition , Section 47 table Sl No: 7 " Where the owner is on active
service outside India '' is a reason to deposit . So legally and logically you have the provision to use and deposit it if you are an NRI who holds a passport of India.Am an NRI currently in middle east and recently renewed my license without any hassles as myself told the Police that am working outside India.

Legal experts can give more clarity in this issue.

Regards

Renjith.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Sorry for High jacking the thread but what if a licensee has given up Indian Citizenship and still happens to possess the fire arms that are endorsed on his/her valid license. Is it mandatory to deposit them and have the license cancellation. Will the fire Arms be rendered illegal if retained and considered to be an Offence under Arms Act?.

Marksman