.44 or .405

Posts related to rifles.
badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:20 am

mundaire";p="49850 wrote: What in the world is a "clutch action"? First time I've come across this particular term...
I came across this word many times in different thread yesterday,,i thought may be it is a term of which i am not aware..
so now it is clear -lever action mean clutch(manual transmission) Autos are Auto transmission (just press the accelator and it goesssssssss) :)
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

For Advertising mail webmaster
R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: .44 or .405

Post by R-Dhillon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:33 pm

Eezactly...the underlever action is also reffered to as clutch action (most dealers in punjab do)...and Mr.Mundaire, I guess the rifle used by Eastwood a number of times in the good, the bad and the ugly is a .44...I'm not sure, I think..

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:40 pm

R-Dhillon";p="49916 wrote: Eezactly...the underlever action is also reffered to as clutch action (most dealers in punjab do
May be reffered ,,but i never heard before such term,,and also never been to Punjab. :)
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:59 pm

R-Dhillon";p="49916 wrote: Eezactly...the underlever action is also reffered to as clutch action (most dealers in punjab do)...
Just because some gun dealers in Punjab have decided to call it a "clutch action", does not mean that the term is correct. :roll:
R-Dhillon";p="49916 wrote:...and Mr.Mundaire, I guess the rifle used by Eastwood a number of times in the good, the bad and the ugly is a .44...I'm not sure, I think..
It's a .44 all right but which .44? Let's see if you can guess the exact cartridge... ;)

Anyhow, if you are really keen on a lever action I'd suggest you seriously consider something chambered in .30-30 win, it has decent ballistics, relatively low recoil and is available for around INR 100 bucks a pop (so I am told). No point buying a gun which you cannot shoot regularly due to lack of ammo...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Last edited by mundaire on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:16 pm

It's got to be 44-40 cartridge I guess. This cartridge started off as a black powder round and was later filled with smokeless powder of dram equivalent. Its was a short range round made for both rifle and the revolver and was quite popular with early settlers as a convenient thing for the rifle and the revolver as they fed on the same ammo. . A friend in Mumbai has one Colt Single Action revolver in the caliber. It's fun to shoot with not an unpleasant recoil but has enough wallop at short ranges. It may prove pretty expensive for paper punching though. The 405 was a certified big game round in early 20th century and was made famous by Teddy Roosevelt while on his so called expedition to The Dark Continent to collect wild specimen for the American Museum. The only President to have used his office to enjoy the hunt of a life time at the exchequer's cost. Smart Alec.....Ain't he.
Cheers!!!
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:28 pm

marksman";p="49937 wrote: It's got to be 44-40 cartridge I guess. This cartridge started off as a black powder round and was later filled with smokeless powder of dram equivalent. Its was a short range round made for both rifle and the revolver and was quite popular with early settlers as a convenient thing for the rifle and the revolver as they fed on the same ammo. . A friend in Mumbai has one Colt Single Action revolver in the caliber. It's fun to shoot with not an unpleasant recoil but has enough wallop at short ranges. It may prove pretty expensive for paper punching though. The 405 was a certified big game round in early 20th century and was made famous by Teddy Roosevelt while on his so called expedition to The Dark Continent to collect wild specimen for the American Museum. The only President to have used his office to enjoy the hunt of a life time at the exchequer's cost. Smart Alec.....Ain't he.
Cheers!!!
Marksman
Nope, it's not the .44-40! Think "yellow"....

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:36 pm

And art collector...I jus want a rifle coz I want one...n after firing them and looking at the huge damage they do, I luv 'em even if u say its crap, you wont understand the feel of a .44...untill you see a Clint Eastwood movie...

I don't need to see clint Eastwood...have been seeing these rifles all my life..The only thing I have learnt from my Dad is that your rifle is there to protect u at the time of need.(Aap iske seva karo yeh apkee sewa karege)(App iskee sewa kar saktee hai isse use kar kee...aur 800/- wale kitne kartoos aap chalangee practice kee liyee yeh sochana asambhav nahi hai mere liyee).

..well it ur money and ur life...put it to the best use you can. I will in the mean time post some pics of 44 & .405 ammo in my collection.

AC

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:59 pm

RDhillon,

I wrote it earlier and I write it again.Please spend some time learning about guns,rifles and ammo on IFG and other internet resources.It helps you to know what you want better and saves us time trying to understand what exactly you need.I hope it makes sense.Thank you.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:16 pm

No answers so far (except for Marksman)?

Well, it was the rimfire cartridge .44 Henry and the gun used was the Model 1866 "yellow boy" Winchester repeating rifle (with ladder elevated sights). Doubt if R-Dhillon would be able to find any ammunition for the .44 Henry, even if he is able to find a decent condition Winchester model 1866...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:46 pm

brass receiver at that...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by R-Dhillon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:53 pm

Well as far as self defence is concerned 12 bore shotty and a .32 s&w revolver do their jobs quite well...havent heard of anyone using a rifle for self defence...Thanks to my three tibetan mastiffs, a rottweiler and a german sheperd, I have a secure sleep...
"Say hello to my lil' friend"......

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:57 am

eljefe";p="49985 wrote: brass receiver at that...
Yep, hence "yellow boy" :)

www.gunowners.in

dilrajjjj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dilrajjjj » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 am

R-Dhillon wrote:I need a bolt or clutch action...n if u can arrange one in good condition art collector...I'll buy it...
I have one Winchester 405 model 1895, do you have any idea what is the current market value of this gun ?

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 pm

dilrajjjj wrote:
R-Dhillon wrote:I need a bolt or clutch action...n if u can arrange one in good condition art collector...I'll buy it...
I have one Winchester 405 model 1895, do you have any idea what is the current market value of this gun ?
only collector piece now a days due to ammo prob. I don't think it will fetch anything higher than 50/60 K. that's too if the buyer can understand its real value..
regards
Regards

Shivaji

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 pm

The Winchester 1895 is a beautiful Rifle.
Owing to scarcity of Cartridge, the 1895 Winchester Rifle in 405 is not much in demand.
The price quoted by Shivaji is correct.
Also getting a customer will be difficult.
If sold through a Gun Shop, one would not get more than Rs.30,000.
With time this lovely Rifle will be unfortunately, obsolete in India.
I would never recommend this Cartridge for Elephant.
It is good for soft skinned animal.
I would suggest retaining the Rifle and try your best, to source Ammunition for it.
It is difficult not impossible.

Regards,
Jr.