GOOD GUN CLEANING OIL

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

GOOD GUN CLEANING OIL

Post by ASIF007 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Now that I possess a 12 bore and 3006, I want to buy a good imported Gun Oil and Bore Cleaning Oil. Based on some reviews online I have come done to 3 Brands.
1.) Ballistol - Easily available online in India, many
2.) Hoppes - Reviews are good but expensive
3.) Bisley - a reputed English oil & bore cleaner.

Request members to share their experience as I feel the gun oil available in Gun Shops in Kolkata are cheap and unreliable.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: GOOD GUN CLEANING OIL

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am

I have used 1 & 2, both are good oils but Ballistol has the added advantage of not harming wood (it will still stain it), unlike most other gun oils.

For cleaning the rifle bore, you will additionally need a bore solvent to clean out copper deposits (from use of copper jacketed bullets).

For most Indian users, a good gun oil is all that is needed for cleaning & lubing a shotgun. Only those who shoot very high volumes (several thousand rounds) would additionally require a plastic wad solvent (for removing deposits left behind by shotshell plastic wads in/ around the chokes).

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ASIF007 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:08 pm

mundaire wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:56 am
I have used 1 & 2, both are good oils but Ballistol has the added advantage of not harming wood (it will still stain it), unlike most other gun oils.

For cleaning the rifle bore, you will additionally need a bore solvent to clean out copper deposits (from use of copper jacketed bullets).

For most Indian users, a good gun oil is all that is needed for cleaning & lubing a shotgun. Only those who shoot very high volumes (several thousand rounds) would additionally require a plastic wad solvent (for removing deposits left behind by shotshell plastic wads in/ around the chokes).

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Thank You Abhijeet Sir. This was very helpful. My shooting will not be over 50-100 rounds a year . I have ordered both Ballistol & Hoppes online. Will tell a relative to get a Bisley 12 bore Cleaning Set from England. Is there any specific rods, brushes, swaps & patches to clean both the Shotgun & Rifle?

Regards
Asif

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm

One of the best shotgun cleaning rod set I have come across is the Klin Kit by G Smith, Pune http://www.gsmithco.com/Accessories/projects.php it's quality is much better than most of the cheaper imported cleaning kits. Many gun shops have it in stock, I got mine from Garg Armoury, Kashmere Gate, Delhi.

For the rifle, probably one of the best cleaning rods out there is by J Dewey USA, but they are expensive.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ASIF007 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:32 pm

mundaire wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm
One of the best shotgun cleaning rod set I have come across is the Klin Kit by G Smith, Pune http://www.gsmithco.com/Accessories/projects.php it's quality is much better than most of the cheaper imported cleaning kits. Many gun shops have it in stock, I got mine from Garg Armoury, Kashmere Gate, Delhi.

For the rifle, probably one of the best cleaning rods out there is by J Dewey USA, but they are expensive.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Thanks again Abhijeet Sir. I have contacted G Smith for the 12 bore kit.

Regards
Asif

ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ASIF007 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:06 pm

mundaire wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Abhijeet Sir received the Shotgun and Rifle rods from G Smith Pune. Both the products are excellent grade and budget friendly. I cannot thank you enough for recommending them.

Regards
Asif

ASIF007
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ASIF007 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:33 am

The barrels of my 100 year old Jeffrey never looked cleaner.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:06 am

Glad to hear that :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

χάος
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by χάος » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:44 pm

mundaire wrote:
Totally agree, I use Hopps lube after cleaning it with Ballistol, sometimes I use WD40 as well for cleaning. However, some shooters have advised me not to expose the barrel with WD40 for too long because it may harm the blueing, don't know whether it is a fact or a myth.
mundaire wrote:
Can you please recommend a good solvent!

mundaire wrote:
I shoot good quantities, not too much but between the volumes of 7500 to 10000 cartridges every year, so far I haven't seen any plastic wad leftovers, I may be missing it, but I clean my gun every week and then regrease it, so maybe because of this it is not getting deposited.

Regards!
Adios'

V

Guns don't kill people - POLICIES DO
What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. what we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:28 am

χάος wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:44 pm
sometimes I use WD40 as well for cleaning. However, some shooters have advised me not to expose the barrel with WD40 for too long because it may harm the blueing, don't know whether it is a fact or a myth.
Before the shooting session, you lube the parts of your shotgun that will be wearing against each other, like the hinge pins, etc. Here I find Ballistol to be too thin an oil (lower viscosity) and in stead use either, Hoppes or Outers (simply because I have them handy), but any other slightly thicker (more viscous) gun oil will do just fine for this purpose.

WD40 spray is used after a shooting session as a cheap and easy way to wash off the excess oil and built up crud (if any) from those parts. It works well for this, essentially because it is really "thin" (lower viscosity) as compared to most other oils which need to lubricate as well. The only thing you need to worry about with WD40 is to keep it well away from any wood, as it will damage it. Also, since WD40 leaves behind a deposit, I am not a big fan of it, though I use it once in a while. The WD40 bottle in my range bag gets used mostly by others :lol:

After a shooting session is over, I make sure to wipe away all of the lube I have applied before the shooting session and any other place the excess may have seeped too (this is mostly at the bottom of the action). Once this is done, I quickly run a bore snake through each barrel 2 or 3 times. Then wipe down the action, barrel and especially the rib with an oily cloth/ sportsmans cloth to get rid of the fingerprints (they are rust magnets). Then put it in a gun sock before returning it to the case.
χάος wrote:
Can you please recommend a good solvent!
Frankly I've only ever used Remington Brite Bore for this, as I still haven't finished the can which I bought back in 1996. So I haven't gotten around to opening or trying any of the others! As you can tell, I don't really get to do much shooting with centrefire rifles :)
χάος wrote:
I shoot good quantities, not too much but between the volumes of 7500 to 10000 cartridges every year, so far I haven't seen any plastic wad leftovers, I may be missing it, but I clean my gun every week and then regrease it, so maybe because of this it is not getting deposited.
Regards!
Plastic wad fouling isn't easily visible to the naked eye, as it forms a smooth coat on the inside of the barrel, mostly in/ around the chokes. That said, not all plastic wads are created equal and some will cause more fouling that others, so the amount of fouling you will experience depends on the cartridges you are using. BUT rest assured, all of them do cause fouling.

From viewtopic.php?f=22&t=764&start=15#p261078
mundaire wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:53 pm
A good substitute for cleaning plastic wad fouling/ residue from shotgun barrels (chiefly in/ around the chokes) is carb cleaner spray. Caution: KEEP WELL AWAY from wood and synthetic stocks. Also, make sure to wear rubber gloves (always good idea when cleaning your gun) to prevent skin irritation AND use in a well ventilated area. Also, while this works for shotgun barrel fouling, which is chiefly carbon and plastic wad residue, it wont work in rifle barrels where copper coated bullets leave behind copper residue. For that you need a copper solvent (which in turn is useless for cleaning plastic wad residue from shotgun barrels).

METHOD OF USE: Spray in the barrel and allow to penetrate the deposits for 10 minutes. After this when you look down the barrels, you will see the fouling curling up and it can now be removed easily using a suitable bronze/ brass brush. For excessive fouling, you may need to repeat this 2 - 3 times, but if you clean your shotgun barrels after every 500 rounds, one application should be fine.
As mentioned above, I've been using a Talbros carb cleaner spray I ordered off Amazon, but almost any carb cleaner spray should work equally well as the chief ingredient in most is Acetone (mixed with the secret sauce of each brand). Acetone wreaks hell on plastic and if you have access to lab grade acetone, you can use that as well. Just follow the same precautions as mentioned above.

I like to typically address this kind of fouling every 500 - 1,000 rounds or so, otherwise the build up gets excessive and while the guns still shoot just fine, I don't like to leave it in there :)

Also, when reinstalling the chokes, make sure that the threads are clean and that you lube them with either a high viscosity oil or grease which has a high temperature rating. I use Tetra lube for this, but there are plenty of other good ones out there, I see many shooters using Perazzi grease which is excellent as well.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 am

If you shoot at KSSR, feel free to catch up at whichever range they are shooting Skeet, I am there most weekends. :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

χάος
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by χάος » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:06 pm

mundaire wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 am
If you shoot at KSSR, feel free to catch up at whichever range they are shooting Skeet, I am there most weekends. :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Great! Will look forward to it, I always love to see Skeet, never played though, never able to see the second bird :lol:

I'm having some very dear friends who play Skeet, will have fun there; will catch up with you next weekend, this weekend going Jaipur for Mavlankar :wink:
Adios'

V

What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we can't decipher. what we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish.

χάος
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by χάος » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:14 pm

mundaire wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:28 am
Before the shooting session, you lube the parts of your shotgun that will be wearing against each other, like the hinge pins, etc. Here I find Ballistol to be too thin an oil (lower viscosity) and in stead use either, Hoppes or Outers (simply because I have them handy), but any other slightly thicker (more viscous) gun oil will do just fine for this purpose.
Here I generally use Perazzi Grease! Nothing can match the performance, I mean nothing that I know.
mundaire wrote:
WD40 spray is used after a shooting session as a cheap and easy way to wash off the excess oil and built up crud (if any) from those parts. It works well for this, essentially because it is really "thin" (lower viscosity) as compared to most other oils which need to lubricate as well. The only thing you need to worry about with WD40 is to keep it well away from any wood, as it will damage it. Also, since WD40 leaves behind a deposit, I am not a big fan of it, though I use it once in a while. The WD40 bottle in my range bag gets used mostly by others :lol:

Hahaha Everyone has the same experience! My Ballistol just got finished because of this. :)
mundaire wrote:
After a shooting session is over, I make sure to wipe away all of the lube I have applied before the shooting session and any other place the excess may have seeped too (this is mostly at the bottom of the action). Once this is done, I quickly run a bore snake through each barrel 2 or 3 times. Then wipe down the action, barrel and especially the rib with an oily cloth/ sportsmans cloth to get rid of the fingerprints (they are rust magnets). Then put it in a gun sock before returning it to the case.

Quite honestly, I am a lazy man, also because I apply grease I don't wipe it after sessions every day, but on a weekly basis, however, I spray the inside of the barrel with Ballistol leave it for some time and then use the bore-snake (Hopps) and wipe down the outside of the barrel generally.
mundaire wrote:
Frankly, I've only ever used Remington Brite Bore for this, as I still haven't finished the can which I bought back in 1996. So I haven't gotten around to opening or trying any of the others! As you can tell, I don't really get to do much shooting with centrefire rifles :)

Itni kifayat! :lol: Yeah I understand, it is fun to shoot high power rifles but it is boring as a sport, I brought a .308 two years ago and shot barely 60 rounds before purchasing, after that, it is oiled and kept securely, I brought it for shooting big bore but didn't realised that all Big Bore comps are scheduled in Feb-Mar, which for me is impossible to attend. Thinking of selling it out, let's see! :?
mundaire wrote:
Plastic wad fouling isn't easily visible to the naked eye, as it forms a smooth coat on the inside of the barrel, mostly in/ around the chokes. That said, not all plastic wads are created equal and some will cause more fouling that others, so the amount of fouling you will experience depends on the cartridges you are using. BUT rest assured, all of them do cause fouling.

I got the idea, I found it inside the choke, tried to get a clear picture for others to understand until then these small clips will suffice. It looks like a lamination from inside. By the way, I use mostly RC4 and Clever Pro Extra.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikis1yfplz5ve ... 7.MOV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dyx998k2xaz9 ... 4.MOV?dl=0
mundaire wrote:
From viewtopic.php?f=22&t=764&start=15#p261078
As mentioned above, I've been using a Talbros carb cleaner spray I ordered off Amazon, but almost any carb cleaner spray should work equally well as the chief ingredient in most is Acetone (mixed with the secret sauce of each brand). Acetone wreaks hell on plastic and if you have access to lab grade acetone, you can use that as well. Just follow the same precautions as mentioned above.

Just ordered STP 71500EN Carb Spray Cleaner (500 ml), one of the best-rated product, will use it and update.
mundaire wrote:
I like to typically address this kind of fouling every 500 - 1,000 rounds or so, otherwise the build up gets excessive and while the guns still shoot just fine, I don't like to leave it in there :)

I've shot ammo to the tune of 20-25K in the past three years, no one ever told me this, much obliged for the info. :cheers:
mundaire wrote:
Also, when reinstalling the chokes, make sure that the threads are clean and that you lube them with either a high viscosity oil or grease which has a high temperature rating. I use Tetra lube for this, but there are plenty of other good ones out there, I see many shooters using Perazzi grease which is excellent as well.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
I use Hopps Oil or Perazzi Grease for this purpose and thank you very much for taking out time to respond and elaborate on this topic, very helpful and informative thread it had become.
Sorry no more Smilies, quota finished
Adios'

V

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:00 pm

χάος wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:06 pm
mundaire wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 am

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Great! Will look forward to it, I always love to see Skeet, never played though, never able to see the second bird :lol:

I'm having some very dear friends who play Skeet, will have fun there; will catch up with you next weekend, this weekend going Jaipur for Mavlankar :wink:
If they shoot at KSSR, I probably know most of them :) Next weekend I'm in Jaipur, as my son will be shooting the GVM there. Best of luck for your match and I'm glad you found the post informative.
Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

χάος
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by χάος » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 am

mundaire wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:00 pm
If they shoot at KSSR, I probably know most of them :) Next weekend I'm in Jaipur, as my son will be shooting the GVM there. Best of luck for your match and I'm glad you found the post informative.
Cheers!
Abhijeet
Yeah, they shoot at KSSR! Maybe be I know you by face!
All the best to your son and thank you for the wishes.
Let's catch up after the comp :)
Adios'

V