Unknown tool used to remove rust on blued guns

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
Heyad
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Unknown tool used to remove rust on blued guns

Post by Heyad » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:11 pm

I had to use some steel wool last night to remove some surface rust on the outside of my SR9 barrel. I forgot to wipe it down after I handled it... So now the barrel has a bunch of scratches on it. but I'm not to worried it happens.

It got me thinking about a smith I saw using some sort of metal 'thing' to remove surface rust and that brownish hue from a blued shotgun. I looked like one of those curly things you put on top of a present all the curls were different sizes and it didn't seem to harm the bluing at all. He said it was also coated in some sort of chemical. I asked him where I could get one and he said 'trade secret.'

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am going to buy some brass brushes in case something like this happens again. I figured I would get one of these if I could find it.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Heyad on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Unknown tool used to remove rust on blued guns

Post by xl_target » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:36 am

I think what you are talking about is "Big 45 Frontier metal Cleaner"

The alloy is softer than bluing but harder than rust, so generally it will not harm the bluing.
Be Careful; stainless scouring pads like this are also available on the market but those will damage bluing.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Unknown tool used to remove rust on blued guns

Post by Vineet » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:43 pm

I have heard that pencil lead works wonder on removing rust patch without scratching.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.