Just found out .22 Air rifle needs license. What should I do?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
serotono
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Just found out .22 Air rifle needs license. What should I do?

Post by serotono » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:11 am

I stumbled upon the fact today, while surfing the internet, that .22 air rifles will need license, no matter the fpe. I have a 20 year old local made .22 Air Rifle, (which has exempted category embossed on the spring housing) and a .22 Air Pistol. What should I do? Should I run to the local police station and declare I already had two .22 air guns and I just learned they need license? What will they do? Will they ask me to deposit the air guns until I get a license? Or will they indict me because I have a now-made-illegal rifle? Anybody have any experience?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Just found out .22 Air rifle needs license. What should I do?

Post by Gunner_dh » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:41 pm

Hi Serotono,

Please check the below link it might be helpful:
Q.23 What changes have been brought in the licensing regime for Air Guns in the Arms Rules, 2016?

https://mha.gov.in/sites/default/files/FAQArmsNDAl.pdf

Regards
dh

Komy cat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Komy cat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am

Please someone post a proper reply to this question, the above answer does not explain anything.

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:54 am

serotono wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:11 am
I stumbled upon the fact today, while surfing the internet, that .22 air rifles will need license, no matter the fpe. I have a 20 year old local made .22 Air Rifle, (which has exempted category embossed on the spring housing) and a .22 Air Pistol. What should I do? Should I run to the local police station and declare I already had two .22 air guns and I just learned they need license? What will they do? Will they ask me to deposit the air guns until I get a license? Or will they indict me because I have a now-made-illegal rifle? Anybody have any experience?
Hi and welcome,
Legally 2 options... Get a license (hard way) or surrender your gun/guns at the nearest police station, along with receipts proving date of purchase.....

Regards.
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

Komy cat
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Komy cat » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:40 am

@Mr.Shome

Thank u sir. I have all the proper documentation of the purchase, where it is clearly mentioned that NO LICENCE IS REQUIRED.

Will the police still harass me? I am a resident of Kolkata, do u have any experience of depositing your Air rifle to the police station. Please guide me. I am very much tensed.

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:44 pm

Komy cat wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:40 am
@Mr.Shome

Thank u sir. I have all the proper documentation of the purchase, where it is clearly mentioned that NO LICENCE IS REQUIRED.

Will the police still harass me? I am a resident of Kolkata, do u have any experience of depositing your Air rifle to the police station. Please guide me. I am very much tensed.
Hi,

First of all, please don't be tensed. In all probability, if you visit the police station, the cops will tell you the same. No, I don't have experience about surrendering Air Rifles. I had given you legal advice, but personally I will advise you not to visit the cops and draw attention. Just keep your papers carefully, and avoid talking about these toys to random people.

However, if you feel too nervous, destroy these possessions for your peace of mind. That said, most probably, countless people are in your situation.

Regards,

PS
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Mr.Shome wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:44 pm
That said, most probably, countless people are in your situation.
By conservative estimates, there are about 30 crore airguns in India, the VAST MAJORITY of which are locally made .22 cal airguns. So yes, there are millions of people affected by this change in the law.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:42 am

mundaire wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:09 pm
Mr.Shome wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:44 pm
That said, most probably, countless people are in your situation.
By conservative estimates, there are about 30 crore airguns in India, the VAST MAJORITY of which are locally made .22 cal airguns. So yes, there are millions of people affected by this change in the law.
The funniest thing is that I don't think anyone in India has obtained a licence only for these improvised catapults.

@serotono and @komy cat,

Hope you understand that solution

Regards,

PShome

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:39 am

Dear All,

I feel Gov should have first assessed the situation and made rules as to how to deal with such situation. Which alas is not the case. A PIL can be filed asking for Court intervention if Gov turns deaf. As of now anything above .177 requires licence which should include the pellets

Cheers
Biren