Air gun import

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Vinod1155
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Air gun import

Post by Vinod1155 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:18 pm

Hi Folks
I’m a new member and this is my first post. I’m aware it might be a usual question/thread but I couldn’t find conclusive information.
I’m in the US on work and I have this sudden urge to import and carry an air rifle back with me to India. I was a member of a rifle club and was very active until a decade back and I’m eager to pursue my interest in shooting again..currently I’m not a member of any rifle club or association.
I have a few queries and I request your advice:

1. Can I import an air rifle in check-in luggage? .177 or even 0.22?
2. What’s the import duty?
3. Any airlines that’s flexible regarding this import?
4. Can I also bring pellets, pump and scope?
5. Which brand/model would be suggest in PCP for recreational shooting/target price within 20k

TIA
Vinod

For Advertising mail webmaster
gurbir22
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Air gun import

Post by gurbir22 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Hello Vinod1155,

Welcome to ifg, current laws in India 🇮🇳 permit you to buy
Air rifle of 0.177” caliber only with muzzle energy not exceeding 20 joules, 0.177” pellets are allowed bringing an air rifle back from USA to India in baggage must not be a problem if it fulfills the criteria laid down by the govt of India, it all depends on the custom officer handling the issue he may allow with a hefty custom duty or may not allow at all, I will suggest you to go through posts here on the forum related to airgun import experiences through baggage viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2315

Regards
Gurbir Singh