WEBLEY SCOTT SETS UP PLANT IN INDIA

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: WEBLEY SCOTT SETS UP PLANT IN INDIA

Post by partheus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:26 am

Vikram wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:35 am
partheus wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:41 pm
Not sure how accurate this is but this article ->https://nenow.in/popular-stories/webley ... e-hit.html states the revolvers are expected to sell at around 1 lakh and pistol at 2 lakhs. That's almost the same as the second hand stuff right now. So, the 45 will be over 3 lakhs then? They couldn't possibly offer these for export as the prices between international and domestic market would be widely disproportionate. No one outside will pay USD 3,000+ for a regular polymer framed 32 pistol.
Agree. Also, I wonder why they decided to make the old Webley revolvers. What's the point? Given a choice, people would go for the more modern designs.
Nostalgia, I guess. Plus as per them, revolvers are cheaper. Also, did anyone notice their shotgun seems like an exact copy of the Winchester SXP black shadow?

For Advertising mail webmaster
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:21 am

I meant 5 in the cylinder

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:10 pm

They are making a big mistake by taking the consumer for granted.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

pappu3901
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by pappu3901 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:05 pm

mundaire wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:53 pm
Nice one TC :) (y)

That said, Webley & Scott (UK) have not made anything, not even an airgun, for some years!

When India banned civilian imports in 1985-86, they completely ceased production of handguns, as their entire handgun business was based on Indian market demand. The day Indians stopped buying their revolvers and (to a lesser extent shotguns), is the day they shifted their business from firearms to airguns!

Post that landmark event, Webley & Scott did indeed, continue to produce and retail some very nice air rifles and pistols.

However, that production line was also finally put to rest some years ago. Now, to the best of my knowledge, Webley & Scott airguns etc. are completely and totally produced in Turkey. Which is not to say that they are rubbish, they may or may not be. Just that they are no longer British, other than in name.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Hi Abhijeet,
W&S is going to manufacture 0.45 Pistols as well. I saw it on FB and asked them if it is an NPB. They said, now 0.45 is NPB. But still I have doubts. I have 0.32 W&S. Can you throw some lights if W&S 0.45 is NPB or not?

Thanks
Shamik

Leo09
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Leo09 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:45 am

Well, it appears that their intent is to tap the market of existing .32 IOF revolver owners and potential customers with a brand new W&S revolver which will attract customers who are using /seeking a 30-50 year old revolver selling for 2-3 Lacs. The Mark IV B series did have a safety catch after all !!!

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:01 am

pappu3901 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:05 pm
mundaire wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:53 pm
Nice one TC :) (y)

That said, Webley & Scott (UK) have not made anything, not even an airgun, for some years!

When India banned civilian imports in 1985-86, they completely ceased production of handguns, as their entire handgun business was based on Indian market demand. The day Indians stopped buying their revolvers and (to a lesser extent shotguns), is the day they shifted their business from firearms to airguns!

Post that landmark event, Webley & Scott did indeed, continue to produce and retail some very nice air rifles and pistols.

However, that production line was also finally put to rest some years ago. Now, to the best of my knowledge, Webley & Scott airguns etc. are completely and totally produced in Turkey. Which is not to say that they are rubbish, they may or may not be. Just that they are no longer British, other than in name.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Hi Abhijeet,
W&S is going to manufacture 0.45 Pistols as well. I saw it on FB and asked them if it is an NPB. They said, now 0.45 is NPB. But still I have doubts. I have 0.32 W&S. Can you throw some lights if W&S 0.45 is NPB or not?

Thanks
Shamik
Yes, 45 cal is NPB as per the latest legislation. PB cartridges are only those that are used by military, policy or paramilitary outfit. So, in the case of pistols, 9mm luger, 5.7X28 are PB while every other caliber is NPB. Note that not all 9mm cartridges are declared as PB (there are 25-30 different cartridges in 9mm), only 9X19 mm Parabelum/Luger is.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 am

Someone sent me this video:

Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:50 am

Some product looks like turkish ,like tomahawk - its brand name using turkish company for import in us and canada
https://webleyscott.in/collections/airguns
about shotgun looks like based on maybe hatsan
https://webleyscott.in/collections/shotguns
for example original hatsan

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:46 pm

mundaire wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 am
Someone sent me this video:

interesting pistol, but striker system with indian "quality" ammo not good choiсe, think many malfunctions :(
But its better then only iof production on market

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Thu May 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Webley have taken a good initiative but if they r coming with clone of old models then IOF new revolver Nishank is better at 95000 to 1 lac . Iof is also coming with new models of revolvers Field Gun Factory have better models in revolvers but IOF have done very small improvements in Pistols.Dwarka arms manufaturers of Shaktiman ball of 12 bore have also got permission for manufacturing revolvers in different models . Some renowed jammu 12 bore manufactuerers r trying for handgun permissions.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri May 15, 2020 5:31 am

Revolvers have been under continuous development for 164 years. Part of this development work has focused on safety. Designs of revolvers have come a long way since cap and ball percussion revolvers had a notch for the nose of the hammer for preventing accidental discharge, and since the Colt Single Action Army was loaded with five rounds during the days of Custer's Last Stand, keeping an empty chamber under the hammer.

Colt Double Action revolvers have had a positive hammer block, which inserts a positive piece of steel between the hammer and the frame to prevent and accidental discharge, for 115 years. Smith & Wesson incorporated a similar function in their double action revolvers about 75 years ago. These developments by Colt and Smith & Wesson followed after the appreciation that the rebound lever of the Colt (a design derived from the Schmidt-Galand lock) and the rebound slide of the Smith & Wesson, were mechanically unable to reliably prevent accidental discharge, if the weapon is dropped.

My own opinion is, that after all of these years, a revolver does not have a positive hammer block, when patents for such mechanisms have expired so long ago, the revolver falls into one of two categories: 1. A collector's piece, and 2. A piece of junk, suitable only for a paper weight.

I think you all see where I'm going here: A properly designed revolver lock requires no external safety, because safety is built into the revolver in the first place, and in the second place, it is a fool-proof safety, as proven by so many revolvers in years of service.

Furthermore, despite the admitted advantage of loading and ejection, the break open revolver design is a weaker and inferior one.

If Webley & Scott are designing a more modern weapon to compete with the Ashanti, there's little reason why they cannot make a more modern revolver. Armscor in the Philippines makes a serviceable revolver that is imported to the USA and sells for around $400. Were someone to tell me that the Filipinos have more ability to manufacture a serviceable and affordable revolver than India, I might be able to contain my temper and comments and walk away from such rubbish.

I would like to envision a more modern .32 revolver for the Indian market that would have a strong, solid frame design. The revolver would be chambered, not only for the traditional .32 S&W Long, but for the considerably more powerful .32 H&R Magnum and the newer 327 Federal Magnum. This would provide a simple, affordable weapon that could not only shoot available ammunition, but hopefully encourage the manufacture of moree effective ammunition, as well -- all in the same revolver!

I might add that Armscor also manufactures other weapons, including a knock off of the 1911, which are quite reasonably priced. This fact is cited to show that making effective handguns is quite possible in India, the pioneer of the science of iron and steel metallurgy.

My wish is that better days are ahead!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:17 pm

timmy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:31 am

My own opinion is, that after all of these years, a revolver does not have a positive hammer block, when patents for such mechanisms have expired so long ago, the revolver falls into one of two categories: 1. A collector's piece, and 2. A piece of junk, suitable only for a paper weight.

Yep in 2020 years revolvers a junk, only collection device
timmy wrote:
if Webley & Scott are designing a more modern weapon to compete with the Ashanti, there's little reason why they cannot make a more modern revolver. Armscor in the Philippines makes a serviceable revolver that is imported to the USA and sells for around $400. Were someone to tell me that the Filipinos have more ability to manufacture a serviceable and affordable revolver than India, I might be able to contain my temper and comments and walk away from such rubbish.
Armscor revolver and IOF revolver its like mercedes and indian ambassador,in this situation Armscor=mercedes
timmy wrote:
I might add that Armscor also manufactures other weapons, including a knock off of the 1911, which are quite reasonably priced. This fact is cited to show that making effective handguns is quite possible in India, the pioneer of the science of iron and steel metallurgy.
Armscor last 15 years its company world level,i shoot many device this company starting 22 lr rifle and 1911 - quality for this money its absolute impressive
I know 1 Armscor pistol 1911 - more then 20 000 shots with no damage, for example Taurus 1911 - 1500-2500 and go to garbage
In my old post i write about my initiative start sell indian IOF weapon on russian civil market - basic its be very big mistake, because stolen many my time, results = nothiпg....
timmy wrote:
I would like to envision a more modern .32 revolver for the Indian market that would have a strong, solid frame design. The revolver would be chambered, not only for the traditional .32 S&W Long, but for the considerably more powerful .32 H&R Magnum and the newer 327 Federal Magnum. This would provide a simple, affordable weapon that could not only shoot available ammunition, but hopefully encourage the manufacture of moree effective ammunition, as well -- all in the same revolver!
What reason in 2020 years start making weapon in .32 if legal .380ACP .40SW .45ACP, 9mm MAK i dont understand this

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Fri May 15, 2020 3:20 pm

[/quote]
What reason in 2020 years start making weapon in .32 if legal .380ACP .40SW .45ACP, 9mm MAK i dont understand this
[/quote]

Any company will have to start with 32 cal because it is the most common centerfire caliber here. Once they have a foothold, they can start offering more options. Besides, we can debate endlessly on whether all that extra knockdown power of the big calibers is even required or not since weapon control is always inversely proportional to weapon power. Remember, most people here will be allowed 100-200 rounds per year on regular licenses. Hardly enough to practice and gain proficiency with. With 32s however, they can purchase ammo from a range and fire as many as required though.

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:03 pm

partheus wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:20 pm
Any company will have to start with 32 cal because it is the most common centerfire caliber here. Once they have a foothold, they can start offering more options. Besides, we can debate endlessly on whether all that extra knockdown power of the big calibers is even required or not since weapon control is always inversely proportional to weapon power. Remember, most people here will be allowed 100-200 rounds per year on regular licenses. Hardly enough to practice and gain proficiency with. With 32s however, they can purchase ammo from a range and fire as many as required though.
Sir if buy pistol (revolver) for self defence, i think its basic legal reason in India buy a pistol
.32 cal - not good choice, better have 7 shot in .45 then 15-20 in .32 acp
1 shot = 1 stop and dont care about law - first - you live, other its trouble
better be in jail, than dead !

training you may with BB gun!

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Fri May 15, 2020 6:36 pm

You're using a very Russian perspective to interpret the Indian situation vis-a-vis firearm effectiveness. Most countries in Europe are cold. Obviously people there are used to wearing a lot of heavy clothing which can act as a natural shield of sorts. They will never stop bullets, but all that padding can be enough to rob the projectile off its kinetic energy, which is why bigger, faster projectile may make sense there.

It's not the same here since India is a hot country and people roam around in t-shirts or round necks most of the time. A 32 ACP has more than enough KE to give the other guy something bigger to worry about while you bug out. Besides, a larger caliber bullet means your target has that much better chance of dying, in which case, there goes your legal leverage.