Indian 12 bore pump shotgun

Discussions related to firearms that do not fit in anywhere else.
advghori
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Indian 12 bore pump shotgun

Post by advghori » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:44 pm

Are Indian guns of good quality?
My friend told me that 4 out of 5 times cartridge stuck.
Suggest me new 12 bore gun as I am a newbie.

Sent from my PCT-AL10 using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Indian 12 bore pump shotgun

Post by riflemarksman » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:57 am

They are ok but not for the price they sell for

I have no idea about indian pump action gun but many have pionted out some problems in other posts...hopefully a good gunsmith can solve the problem

If you want a trouble free gun then go for a Double barrel gun and if your budget allows then an imported pump action or even a autoloader would be a good choice

advghori
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by advghori » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:24 am

riflemarksman wrote:They are ok but not for the price they sell for

I have no idea about indian pump action gun but many have pionted out some problems in other posts...hopefully a good gunsmith can solve the problem

If you want a trouble free gun then go for a Double barrel gun and if your budget allows then an imported pump action or even a autoloader would be a good choice
Plz suggest imported pump action gun and expected price?

Thanks

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:21 am

Wait for few days , webley and scoot will be launching their pump action shotgun.
So don’t buy cheap india ordinance products.

UDAYANJADHAV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by UDAYANJADHAV » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:19 am

sourabhsangale wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:21 am
Wait for few days , webley and scoot will be launching their pump action shotgun.
So don’t buy cheap india ordinance products.
Yes, I have also told my father to wait for Webley Scott to launch their PAG. I also think that due to market competition, OFB might reduce their prices, but again, it's OFB, they might not. It's worth waiting a few months, Webley might launch their PAG this year itself.

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:40 am

Even if they launch next year its ok . Don’t buy iof products.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:51 am

advghori wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:44 pm
Are Indian guns of good quality?
My friend told me that 4 out of 5 times cartridge stuck.
Suggest me new 12 bore gun as I am a newbie.

There must be a problem in the extractor of that particular gun.

IOF pump action is quite good. It has chrome lined barrel, all parts are made of good materials. Only thing it lacks behind is finish, that can be done aftermarket.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:39 am

IOF PAG HAS strong barrell unlike others who have better shape.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 am

RFI have much better and heavier machines to manufacture weapons than any other private manufacturer in India.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:14 am

Vineet wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 am
RFI have much better and heavier machines to manufacture weapons than any other private manufacturer in India.
RFI has everything except the will to make anything better. Doubt that OFB/RFI will ever change, though privatization is on the cards, I think it is going to take a long long time.
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by riflemarksman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:38 am

Unless we test the weapons made by Indian pvt manufacturers we can not say that it would be better than IOF firearms.......dont forget that Indian ammo is not of the best quality and the conditions like rain , sand and dust are some factors which the guns have to funvtion in........the problem with high quality firearms is that they are fussy about the ammo you use in them so everything is not bad about IOF guns

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:57 am

...the problem with high quality firearms is that they are fussy about the ammo you use in them...
I am puzzled by this generalization. Would you be willing to share with us, in your experience, which "high quality firearms" are fussy about ammunition used in them, and which non-high quality firearms are not fussy about the ammunition used in them? Thank you.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:52 am

Are current, privately manufactured shotguns in India being benchmarked and tested by any organisation for quality Vis a Vis IOFB? Since the IOFB is the pioneer in gun manufacture, we should expect some public quality exposure.
Paper shells are known to swell up. Won’t fit into ANY chamber. Indian or otherwise. Many years ago, I remember opening a new from dealer box of KF 12 ga No. 4 and none would fit in 3 shotguns- BSA, H&H and an original IOFB 12 ga. They were swollen due to ? Moisture.
Talking about repair, if you take away the holy covenant of ‘GUN PART’ from the equation, it is simple milling, turning , and surface grinding or lathe work of metal. I was driven to despair after breaking the firing pin of a Walther PPK/S, didn’t have any idea of how to import it into India , and finally ended up getting a friend with metal working experience to make one for me. It worked flawlessly,until I brought back one from an overseas trip.

An uncle owned a H&H Badminton pair and he had a yearly or as needed visit from his ‘ mistry’ who did all repairs and maintains everything on them.in Delhi. So gunsmithing is not an esoteric black art as many of you think it is. See the home mods done on the IOF 30-06 by a member here who has posted his work in detail? He just modified a Sauer- yup, that’s what an IOFB 30-06 is. So Remington or Ruger- metal , form and function are the same.
That firing pin was a big lesson in my life and I’ve carried it through - when I got an opportunity, learnt about metal, wood working, shear angles, machining, bluing. Whatever.
If the extractors or sears or flat springs crack or break on a local made double 12,it’s the same 120 year old design as a westley Richard or a Boss or what have you. Only made to looser tolerances. Sometimes.
With hunting banned in India, I don’t see too many opportunities for a gun owner to be doing a field test of a ammo or a Indian made shotgun thru mud , rain, ice and being driven over by a 4x4 etc like a mil spec torture test. And yes, plastic case 12ga ammo is available if you wish to have more reliability.
Since we’re ostensibly here to share our common support for guns, a constructive criticism and debate is also part of the fun and games.
Members here have varied experience- some may load use and Have solid experience with different firearms in a month as compared to what others may have in a year. In India I had a an ammo quota of 25/50 a year. Now I have about 3 K of the same Rimfire ammo. No, I don’t hoard, but do some active shooting with my kids. So, a level of detail and Or open discourse is expected.
I wouldn’t be ashamed to say I’ve fired 20 rounds thru xyz PAG, using such an such brand of paper/ plastic ammo. And that brand is good or is terrible. That’s what we’re here.
“ I know the answer and I won’t tell because it will re start a debate” doesn’t belong on an open forum. More in a kindergarten class.
Mods are not Mods to police this forum ONLY. They’re also here because of their experience and knowledge ( hopefully) of the topics at hand.
I’ve used Brazilian 12 ga paper cases which were the worlds worst, compared to KF.

A .22 I have loves Cheap Philippine Ammo and does one holers at 50m compared to world class RWS. Not coming in Defense of Timmy, he can handle his own. But I’m trying to point out the generalisations being made here.
We would like some real life experience sharing, not a post to increase the post count !
Yes I agree with him on that point. Doesn’t mean I’ll necessarily agree with him on all topics.

So...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:17 am

Oops. Apologies , Timmy. Our posts must have crossed each other in the ether 🤣
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by riflemarksman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:01 am

edited by moderator

Lets take the example of .22lr rifle

I have used IOF .22lr sporting rifle.... it cycles most of the ammo.......I am not talking accuracy

And lets take the Anschutz 50m target rifle .......these rifles are fussy in the sense that sometimes if you load a KF cartridge the bolt does not close with ease as with good quality ELEY match ammunition you would have to force the bolt down its that simple

Yes feeding problem does occur occasionally in IOF .22lr but it is far less