difference between .375 express and .375 magnum

Posts related to rifles.
bandook
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

difference between .375 express and .375 magnum

Post by bandook » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:40 pm

hi guys recently bought .375 express wesley richards but cant find the ammo the .375 magnum ammo would not fit in the chamber ........any help would be appreciated.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: difference between .375 express and .375 magnum

Post by Vikram » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

We need some more clear information.

1. Is your rifle a bolt action or a double rifle? Please specify and also post some clear photos that show all the markings on the rifle, especially the proof marks.

There are other .375 cartridge chamberings, but we limit ourselves to the British cartridges here,assuming that yours is chambered for a British cartridge.

.375 H&H Belted Rimless Magnum-This is the most common/popular one. Used in bolt action rifles.

.375 Flanged Magnum Nitro Express- This is the rimmed version of the former.Used in single shot or double rifles.

.375 Flanged Nitro Express,2½"- This must not be confused with the flanged magnum cartridge above and has a smaller case.This is also a rimmed cartridge and suitable for single shot or double rifles.

As far as I know, Kynoch in UK produces the 2½" cartridges.You may have to import them.But it is essential that you must know what it is.I am suspecting that you have a .375 Flanged Nitro Express,2½". Please do not try to shoot any cartridge in your rifle until you are very sure about what you have.Otherwise, the results can be disastrous.Also, do not try to have it altered in anyway by our so called gunsmiths.It's good that you asked.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:06 pm

bandook wrote:hi guys recently bought .375 express wesley richards but cant find the ammo the .375 magnum ammo would not fit in the chamber ........any help would be appreciated.
Bandook,

Can you purchase, or do you already have, some powdered Sulfur? Around here is it called "Flowers of Sulfur". If you can obtain a small amount, say 4 or 5 tablespoons, I will make and post some pictures showing how to make a "chamber" cast and then you do not have to guess at what it might be.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

miroflex
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by miroflex » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Mark wrote:
bandook wrote:hi guys recently bought .375 express wesley richards but cant find the ammo the .375 magnum ammo would not fit in the chamber ........any help would be appreciated.
Bandook,

Can you purchase, or do you already have, some powdered Sulfur? Around here is it called "Flowers of Sulfur". If you can obtain a small amount, say 4 or 5 tablespoons, I will make and post some pictures showing how to make a "chamber" cast and then you do not have to guess at what it might be.
Mark,

It would be interesting to read the details of making a chamber cast using powdered sulphur. I would welcome a post from you on the subject.

Regards.
"To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived." Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure Of The Copper Beeches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Buffalo Hunter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Buffalo Hunter » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:59 am

I'm Looking to purchase a .375 2.5" flanged Express.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:36 pm

There happens to be a Mannicher Shoeneaur shell 9.5x56 which is also called a .375 M&S cartridge which is a rimless round.Westley Richards made rifles for this chambering as well I assume.

Marksman

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Mark wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:06 pm
Bandook,

Hello Mark,
Please do post this info, how to make a chamber, will be very interesting.

Regards,
P
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."