Diana 460 strip down-servcing

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
dalvipravin
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Diana 460 strip down-servcing

Post by dalvipravin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:19 pm

Hello Experts ,

I have finally made my own spring compressor and have dismantled my 2016 Diana 460 successfully. :)

She was doing 840fps and lot of growling which was sounding like spring as you cock ..

So findings are as below ,

Gun was almost dry ...very less residue inside of any moly or oil.. spring was also almost dry

1 )The breach cylider which slides in main cylinder is having discoloration half is dark half is shiny -- any comments why ?
2) Spring guide tapered edge is damaged where the round cylindrical piston head goes in .
3 ) spring is bent little at the point where spring guide ends and due to which I guess is rubbing on inside walls also has rub marks at center coils ..
4) the cylinder looks to be smoothened heavily where the trigger block slides in .
5) breach seal has turned light at the center , please have a look if that is okay as I don't have any source of seals for d460 here locally .

Now I bought this rifle in 2018 from a local shop in town .... When the Airgun bug bit me again after 10 years.

Now I don't have anybody here who owns D460 and have ever striped her clean locally I would like to take your comments on ,

What needs to be really replaced , fixed .. if fixed what to be done ,how to be done.

I do have aquired black moly grease ...I go have gun oil and files n sand papers access ..

Cheers ,
Prav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vishnu2017
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Diana 460 strip down-servcing

Post by Vishnu2017 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:40 pm

Dear pravin, am also having Diana460 magnum, as per your post , its time to change your Mainspring and breach seal also got damaged, then what about piston seal, ???. There is no online stores having piston seal and main spring for Diana 460 mag, keep searching with local gun dealers , or you can place order airgun depot , pyramid air. com, no hassles to import springs and piston seals I think, dual tone colour of the compression chamber seems normal, cheers,
Vishnu
Last edited by Vishnu2017 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED (y) :D

dalvipravin
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dalvipravin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Hey Vishnu ,

THanks for reply

Piston seal luckily is in good shape no cracks or deformation of any sort ..

Breach seal is there on ,
https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24964/460-Mag-/

But they dont have Piston seal , Spring Guide and main spring in stock :(

Are you sure importing spares is okay ? I am also thinking o Vortek PG3 kit ,

http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/Dian ... iana%20460

And they also have special seals of their own compatible for Diana's etc..

Again importing is pain man dealing with customs and explaining them is very difficult job,..

Cheers ,
Pravin

Djanko
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Djanko » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:54 am

I had the same problem in my spring airgun, Indian made.Somone told me to check piston rod for slant and it was the main culprit.Spring also looks a bit larger for the gun,a smaller size would help a lot.

Vishnu2017
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vishnu2017 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:19 pm

Dear pravin,
Yes, importing of springs and seals not restricted if it is mentioned as a metal spring, otherwise mentioned air rifle spring will attract customs confiscation, the same in piston seal also, contact the seller for support, if no other option , if you know any US returnee friend , you can ask him to buy for you, if no way , you can purchase Diana 350 Magnum main spring from keiberg, and cut 6 to 7 coils, grind the edges accordingly , it will fit, but am never recommend for cutting of coils,

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi,

Write to the dealer , request him to not mention anywhere the word Air Rifle , nor on invoice .

Also request him to open the all the original packing and send the product wrapped in plastic in small packet. He can write Mechanical Parts if he wants in invoice. The word Rifle anywhere will be attractive to Customs & Foreign Post Office.

Don't order via DHL or FedEx or Aramex. They will surely take extra amount for clearance.

Vishnu2017
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vishnu2017 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 pm

Yes am agree with 4*4

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:34 pm

You can try indian springs from precihole or SDB.
With regards,
vsraja

dalvipravin
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dalvipravin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:14 pm

Thank you all for your inputs ,

I was kind of doing some research , gsmith model 35 spring at kovibazaar is looking close just 2 3 cm longer than original diana spring which is 29cm ..

Looked on gunspares.co.uk and they do have breech seal and ox1 ,TS001 springs suitable for D460 .

As of now am thinking of putting the rifle back together with proper lubrication with moly .

Spring guide has been trimmed 1 mm and sanded off so it's back to use now .

Breach seal I have took out and examined , very minor deformation where it meets the breech loader but I feel that is okay ..

So given that the rifle is may be 1500 shots through and the spring is original but just bit off shape which any spring will go a little bit when she settles in .. ( am giving benifit of doubt to spring as it's difficult to source one easily in india as of now )

As the gun also was dry I am again trying to give all the components a try again with proper lubrication , and in the mean time I'll try n get ox or titan spring with breech seal so I can redo it later again ..

Let me know your thoughts ... Is the spring real bad ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Djanko
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Djanko » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:47 am

If you cannot source it I have used the gsmith spring in my ihp airgun and it was very good quality.Lasted about 10000 shoots in my ihp,did not break but I could see the pellets in slow motion after that.All springs fail,so why invest in imported.Also is the spring guide supposed to be a near tight fit in the spring, I thought tuners do it like that to minimise the twang and aid accuracy.

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:39 am

I would advise you to show the rifle to a good Gunsmith in your town. He should definitely be able to help you. They are proficient in dealing with such issues as they have experience in such issues.

At least you will know if you can continue shooting the Rifle in its current state.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:26 pm

I think the transfer port seal is damaged.
You have get that from abroad only.
BTW ,how many coils are there in the spring & what is the present free length ?
I am of the opinion that spring at present state is perfectly alright.
Every spring suffers canting so that is not any big issue.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

Vishnu2017
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vishnu2017 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:09 pm

If you planned to go for any Indian made springs , then your first voice will be G SMITH-S, then second Hurricane extreme main spring also same iD and OD , but the difference is 1mm coil THICKNESS and the space between coils, Instead of Diana 350 mag coil

dalvipravin
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dalvipravin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:31 pm

Basu wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:26 pm
I think the transfer port seal is damaged.
You have get that from abroad only.
BTW ,how many coils are there in the spring & what is the present free length ?
I am of the opinion that spring at present state is perfectly alright.
Every spring suffers canting so that is not any big issue.

Basu
Thanks Basu Sir , 4x4 , Vishnu and all for comments ,
The spring has around 33 turns ... 30CM in length thickness is 3.2mm , OD around 20.5mm ID around 14mm I will re confirm when i open her again.

Yes i have assembled the rifle with the as is everything ... with proper moly and lube applied just at the right level.

Cocking improved and the honking sound is reduced a lot .. not gone but reduced , there is another sound like a whistle comes when the lever is cocked half way and left slowly to come up with the spring tension , the spring is rubbing inside for sure now but at some other location :)

Power seems to be increased , I dont have a crony , planing to get one soon !!

I have tried many sites for Original Diana spring part number 30153400 but no luck .. FInaly I have ordered Breech Seal and Titan Spring TS001 from gunspares and Gsmith Super spring from kovi.

Now I have to experiment on these spring in fitment and power.

Good part is I am getting breech seal replaced as its looking bit off and many has advised here too ... so spring part if the cocking is smooth and if am getting 15ft power am happy as the shot cycle is really hard for D460 due to longer stroke and she is by no mean a all day springer :)

But these are such a lovely and accurate weapon I would like to have her tamed and make a sweet shooting springer as a keeper which Iwould love to use often along my 95 and Artemis and N25 ..

I will keep this posted once I get the breech seal and which spring i put in ..

Cheers,
Pravin

Vishnu2017
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vishnu2017 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:17 pm

This is my DIANA 460 magnum spring change project, I got the original piston seal but no main springs, but available with 350 magnum main spring , so finally cut few coils and reassembled, power is ok, now deep fear about loss of power prolonged usage in coil cuts.