REPAIRS TO IZH 46 M BAIKAL

This is the place for discussing gun care, custom work, repairs and ask related technical questions.
AVIATOR275
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

REPAIRS TO IZH 46 M BAIKAL

Post by AVIATOR275 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:18 am

Hi everyone!

Can someone guide me to any gunsmith in Mumbai who can repair an IZH 46 M .177 caliber Air Pistol? Yesterday at the range, I encountered a gradual loss of pressure and a change in sound and the point of impact continued a downward trend despite adjusting the sights upwards. The last couple of shots did not even penetrate the paper. Could it be the seal or something else?

Thanks

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: REPAIRS TO IZH 46 M BAIKAL

Post by Vikram » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:38 pm

May be worthwhile contacting the people at Preciohle to see if they know someone who can do this? Or the range people in Mumbai?

https://www.preciholesports.com/contact
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

AVIATOR275
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AVIATOR275 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:34 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. Precihole said they do not undertake any third party weapon repair. But I did manage to find someone who has repaired the Baikal before.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:52 pm

Usually it'll be the O rings, these are nitrile and will wear out and deteriorate with time/ use.

Often what can help is to lubricate them with silicone oil/ grease which can often recondition them well enough to stretch out their life further.

In fact, for all PCP's/ pneumatics, one should service the seals regularly for maximum life, there's enough info on this online.

Worst case, you need to replace the O rings, they literally cost pennies, so buy spares and keep them handy (but ziplocked in plastic with a generous dose of silicone oil).

When you get your IZH repaired, do oversee the operation. It's not rocket science, this will give you an opportunity to learn and understand your air pistol better, so you can do it yourself in a pinch.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

AVIATOR275
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AVIATOR275 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:35 pm

Hi Mundaire,

Thanks for an elaborate response!

I did oversee the operation of my Baikal being dismantled and the change of what is referred to as 'the pistol seal' (Ser 5) in the attached diagram. Unfortunately, this operation didn't rectify the problem, in that the requisite pressure didn't build up. The culprits seem to be part no 31(valve seat) and 35 (O -ring), correctly identified by you as the usual cause of this problem. The Air Pistol is of 2008 vintage and I got it just a couple of years back and have fired about 1000 pellets.

Unfortunately, what came with this pistol, are only the two breach seals and the pistol seal and no one seems to have any other spares. It would be great if any one on this forum could guide me in this regard.

As this repair is likely to be time consuming, I was planning on graduating to a PCP. Most shooters seem to be using a Morini or a Steyr; I believe FWB P8X is also a good new entrant. Although Precihole PX 50 Match Pro is the cheapest of the lot, I haven't come across any reviews for it. Your views on this are welcome.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:22 pm

If you know the size of the O ring, you can get replacements from a plethora of local industrial suppliers (try Indiamart as a starting point), as these are used across industries in a variety of applications.

You could also, buy from overseas, but that will take time and cost a lot more.

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

AVIATOR275
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AVIATOR275 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:42 pm

Unfortunately, the size is not mentioned anywhere in the manual. But finding it out somehow would be a good start point.

Thanks

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:45 pm

AVIATOR275 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:42 pm
Unfortunately, the size is not mentioned anywhere in the manual. But finding it out somehow would be a good start point.

Thanks
Just get a pair of calipers and measure the o rings, for further confirmation search the net....

www.gunowners.in

Shivakr
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Shivakr » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:08 am

A quick google search, found a eBay link for spares. Do check sellers rating before deciding to buy.. there are few other sellers also..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-rings-Baikal ... 971?_ul=IN

Also you can try writing to Baikal directly.

https://www.baikalinc.ru/
The website is in Russian language, you can use a translator.

This pistol shares spare part with Baikal MP-532 which is still in production.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:46 am

If you are Mumbai based try contacting Pramod from pcpshop.

My experience if dealing with him has been super.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

AVIATOR275
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AVIATOR275 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:19 pm

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. I just ordered the spares on https://airpro.ecrater.com/ and am hoping for the best.

shivi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shivi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:00 pm

I've bought a few seals and O rings from them over the years...
https://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk ... ategories/

AVIATOR275
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by AVIATOR275 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:04 pm

Thanks Shivi. I shall keep this ref as well for the future.