How to get Lisence of .022 Air Rifle purchased before Arms Act 2016

New members post your introductions here. Existing members, spot a friend who just signed up? If you are going to post a public welcome - do it here. Birthday wishes & other festive greetings go here too, as do posts related to offline meets.
PRANJIT 3
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

How to get Lisence of .022 Air Rifle purchased before Arms Act 2016

Post by PRANJIT 3 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:54 pm

Dear Members,
I have recently registered myself in this forum, although I have been reading the contents regularly. My question is I purchased a 0.22 Commander Air Pistol in 2011 and a SDB 0.22 Air Rifle back in 2014. I have lost the reciept of both .Now 2016 arms act has said that one needs to have a lisence to have 0.22 air rifle. I have approached the gun dealer how to obtain the license since I have purchased the weapons before 2016 but he told me that there has been no notification for 0.22 air rifle purchased before 2016. Dear members please suggest me how do I get the license. I don't want to get into trouble. I belong to Guwahati, Assam

Pranjit Tamuli, Guwahati, Assam

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: How to get Lisence of .022 Air Rifle purchased before Arms Act 2016

Post by timmy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:49 am

mundaire wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:30 pm
By retrospective, you mean, what happens to those who currently own .22 airguns and/ or .177 airguns which are over the new 15 ft/lbs limit?

Their possession would now be illegal, unless the owner has a proper license with said airgun(s) endorsed on it.

Penalties would be to the tune of 7 years in jail and a hefty fine, the same as for possessing any other illegal firearm.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

4X4
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by 4X4 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:25 am

You can go and handover and surrender both weapons to the Police Station in your area. Kindly carry a printout of the Arms Act to show to the authorities. Tell them you are surrendering the weapon as you do not have a license for the weapons as required by law.

Now to fulfill your passion for the shooting hobby you can purchase a legal sub 15 ft/lbs .177 air rifle from authorised Gun dealers or Kiehberg , they will issue an invoice for the purchase , also you can buy the pellets from them.

I request senior forum members to further guide you on the same , incase if I am wrong.

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:42 am

Actual notification never came from licensing authority for the weapons purchased before 2016 so it would be better to ask the license authority about that but i am sure they will not be able to answer the question .

PRANJIT 3
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by PRANJIT 3 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:22 pm

My dealer said that thousands of air guns he had sold prior to 2016 . He said no notification has come so far.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:06 pm

sourabhsangale wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:42 am
Actual notification never came from licensing authority for the weapons purchased before 2016 so it would be better to ask the license authority about that but i am sure they will not be able to answer the question .
That's not true, the Arms Rules 2016 were notified via the official Government of India Gazette, as is the usual practice. The Government is not liable to do any more than that while enacting new rules/ laws.

It is incumbent on all affected parties to make themselves aware of the law and how it affects them, Thus, pleading ignorance, or that "no one told me", will be less than useless, if and when one is to be prosecuted.

As of today, any air gun/ air pistol/ air rifle, with calibre exceeding .177 requires an arms license.

Whether this rule makes any sense or not is immaterial.

Cheers!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein