Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (India Demand Estimation)

Posts related to rifles.
mohshar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (India Demand Estimation)

Post by mohshar » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:30 pm

Hello Folks,

In continuation our commitment to collect gun community's opinion about Smith and Wesson - Werywin Defence (India) alliance to bring latest gun models to the Indian gun market. I am starting a new thread to gauge the interest for another popular Smith and Wesson firearm, the legendary M&P 15-22, a .22LR caliber semi-automatic sporting rifle based on famous AR-15 platform with 16.5 inch barrel and 25 rounds magazine capacity. Our alliance is committed to bring in at least one sporting rifle to the Indian market and we can only have a .22LR in semi-automatic for the commercial (civilian) segment.

Please share your opinions about M&P 15-22 India market and we will work hard to bring it at the same time as other Werywin models are expected (March - 2023).
SW_15-22_MP.jpg
*Images shown are property of Smith & Wesson, USA with rights assigned to Werywin Defence (India) to use the image/s, reproduction and/or third party usage not permitted without prior written permission from respective owners of the content
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
rahulbdelhi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (India Demand Estimation)

Post by rahulbdelhi » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:18 pm

Will this model be legally allowed in India? This is an 'AR-pattern' rifle, may raise eyebrows among authorities.

vicky1730
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vicky1730 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:53 pm

Yes would be interested. We should not care about eyebrows but the letter of the law. From Act and Rules it is clear that 22LR semi autos are NP. Only one concern: does the barrel length 20 in limitation for 12 ga shotgun also go over to rifles. Traditionally long guns with barrel length less than 20in are called carbines. If someone has a less than 20in semi auto 22LR on license (like a Ruger10/22) say brought as TR or renowned shooter s/he can clarify: thanks just my two pence.

Mayurdhwajsinh
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Mayurdhwajsinh » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:57 pm

I am game for it

Crazygunlover
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Crazygunlover » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:10 pm

As per my knowledge of arms act 1959 ,rules 2016 and amendment thereafter 0.22 bore rimfire semi automatic weapon is a permissible bore.There is no restriction in owing such weapon regardless of barrel length.i will prebook it as and when your booking opens

Lucid dreamer
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Lucid dreamer » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:43 am

I will definitely love to own one if available at the right price.

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:50 am

I think this would outsell all your other products combined! BTW is there a barrel length limitation for rifles? Or does it not apply to rimfire rifles?

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:12 am

.22LR is most common caliber in India. This product would be great.
Would love to replace my existing .22lr rifle with M&P 15-22
James.

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:31 am

I think words like "automatic" "assault" will be detrimental to the product.

netwit
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by netwit » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:00 pm

Hello Mohit, people will sure buy this rifle if the price is reasonable. I will be the first to pre book it. I was looking to buy a rifle and definitely can wait for this model subject to pricing

mohshar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mohshar » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:49 pm

partheus wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:50 am
I think this would outsell all your other products combined! BTW is there a barrel length limitation for rifles? Or does it not apply to rimfire rifles?
Crazygunlover said it right, the .22 bore rimfire rifles including semi-automatic are allowed under Permissible Arms [Schedule I Category III (c)] of the Arms Rules, 2016. No barrel restrictions are placed on .22 rimfire rifles, I am sure if the government intended to put barrel restrictions they would have specifically mentioned it, like in the case of 'Smooth bore guns having barrel of less than 20 inches in length' listed under Restricted Arms [Schedule I Category I (b)]
Sch-I (III).png
We will price these aggressively to keep up with the India market expectations.

@casual shooter - It's a semi-automatic rimfire rifle in .22LR and the model platform AR has no connection with words like 'automatic /assault rifle', In fact, the AR is one of the most misunderstood abbreviation, the AR actually stands for company 'Armalite' which use to produce AR pattern rifles for the U.S army, some people deliberately decided to define it themselves as 'Assault/Automatic Rifles' to tarnish the image to law abiding gun bearers. We will market them in India as Smith & Wesson does in the United States as M&P 15-22 containing no 'AR' in the model name, but it is based on AR platform, there is no denying that fact.

Best Regards,
Mohit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Average response time for emergency services is 15 minutes, 357 Magnum has a response time of 1400 feet/second

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:54 pm

Very nice Semi-Automatic Rifle based on the AR (ArmaLite Rifle) platform.
Civilians in India have not had the privilege of owning such advanced Rifles.
The AR-15 and M16 may have been invented in the late 40's and 50's respectively,
But is still something new for us civilians, in India.
Pump-Action and Leaver-Action are the only version other than a Bolt-Action which I have used, in a Rifle.
(Though neither of the Two qualify as Semi-Automatic).
If the Government allows sale of the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22, in .22LR,
Buyers will be in plenty. Ammunition quota may be an issue.
This will require a minimum limit of 250-500 Rounds a year.
Accessories for the Picatinny Rail (i.e. Red Dot, Tactical Lights, Scope etc.) should be optional and supplied with the Rifle,
Spare Magazine (Standard 25 Round), Foregrips, Bipods, Slings etc. will also need to be included.

Regards,
Jr.

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:31 pm

Are these going to be made in India? Or you will import Kits.

if this is built of an imported Kit, it would be interesting
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

mohshar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by mohshar » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:39 pm

Jr. wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:54 pm
Very nice Semi-Automatic Rifle based on the AR (ArmaLite Rifle) platform.
Civilians in India have not had the privilege of owning such advanced Rifles.
The AR-15 and M16 may have been invented in the late 40's and 50's respectively,
But is still something new for us civilians, in India.
Pump-Action and Leaver-Action are the only version other than a Bolt-Action which I have used, in a Rifle.
(Though neither of the Two qualify as Semi-Automatic).
If the Government allows sale of the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22, in .22LR,
Buyers will be in plenty. Ammunition quota may be an issue.
This will require a minimum limit of 250-500 Rounds a year.
Accessories for the Picatinny Rail (i.e. Red Dot, Tactical Lights, Scope etc.) should be optional and supplied with the Rifle,
Spare Magazine (Standard 25 Round), Foregrips, Bipods, Slings etc. will also need to be included.

Regards,
Jr.
Hello Jr. - I am sure the sale of M&P 15-22 would sail through without a challenge, if barrel length is a problem we can always change the length if the government insists. I understand ammunition quota could be frustrating but little could be done about it. The M&P 15-22 comes with picatinny rails but I doubt government would allow the optics, although I am seeing a lot of optics on air guns nowadays. I am hopeful attachments including lights, bipods, foregrips should not be a problem. Spare magazine and other standard accessories including slings, carry cases etc. can always be purchased as an accessory from our dealer network.

Best,
Mohit
Average response time for emergency services is 15 minutes, 357 Magnum has a response time of 1400 feet/second

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:40 pm

Mr Mohshar, In India most shooting clubs have been supplied with the BRNO/CZ training rifles. These are now become obsolete and being resold at inflated prices and many gun lovers want to buy then just for the name of it. If you bring out a state of the art , affordable, tried and tested and no frills .22 LR bolt action rifle with a 5 shot mag.,scope rail along with iron sights and if the shooting fraternity gets it off the shelf at a MSRP , then you ( smith and wesson ) will become a sure winner in India. I am scepitical about your plan for introducing your M&P 15-22 . This is the actual situation.
Secondly if you bring out a .22LR 10 shot revolver and a match pistol, they will sell like hot cakes. This is the actual situation on the ground.