Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (India Demand Estimation)

Posts related to rifles.
vicky1730
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (India Demand Estimation)

Post by vicky1730 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:12 pm

The 10 shot 22LR is the Model 617 K Frame. Somewhat large for carry but would be a great training and plinking gun. Would be nice if we got it eventually since 22LR is so much more available than 357 Magnum or 38 Spl.

For Advertising mail webmaster
vicky1730
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vicky1730 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:57 am

If you are looking for bolt action 22LR Brno replacements best to wait for Vinvelli bringing CZ457 which in turn is development of CZ452, the successor to Brno and inspiration for IOF .22 sporting.

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:40 am

mohshar,

You have asked for opinions of members regarding the M&P 15-22. Here's mine........I would not be interested in the mentioned firearm. I prefer sporter styled rifles with a wooden stock. Got nothing absolutely against the M&P 15-22 but what I have stated as my preference is just that........nothing more, nothing less. All the best.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:24 am

In a country where people spend extra money on making their guns look like weird contraptions hockey butt, AR lookalike and what not. This will sell like hot cakes. There is a small % of people who are into shooting sports, majority is general self defence/ crop protection licenses so that is a big market IMHO and it will do well in that section.

Whether personally will I buy it? Absolutely yes (provided licenses sorted out). This gives me a training platform, plinking tool and with 25 rounds mag even a self defence weapon (Caliber discussion aside). I hope all AR functions work on this like they do on Tippmann M4.

Only issue I see, since licenses are reduced to 2 guns. People are preferring to keep handgun/shotgun and surrendering .22s (At least in north) so that may hamper your sales.

Just my limited knowledge 2 cents
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:19 pm

I think a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 would be a good move.

I've mentioned that the first gun that I bought was a Marlin 39a 22. This was back in the day when Westerns ruled the movie theaters and TV shows. My Dad very much influenced me to buy this gun, and he was a big time Western movie watcher from the 1930s. The point here, we were influenced by the culture of the day to prefer a lever action rifle.

Now, things are different. The AR platform is the dominant one in civilian firearms and in movies. A lot of folks would like to have a rifle like the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, that looks like an M16/M4, but shoots 22, just like years ago, a "cowboy" type of gun had a lot of appeal.

Practically, just like my Marlin has always shot like gangbusters, the AR styling is not just styling: it is ergonomically more modern and natural than the style of guns that preceded it, so such a choice is not about being "in fashion." It has a purpose.

This is only my view, and I hesitate to offer it because I know very well that my opinions aren't very good marketing studies.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

ritamrudra
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ritamrudra » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:20 pm

Hello Mohit ji,
In my opinion, any weapon that offers quality at affordable prices in the Indian market will sell quite well in the perched Indian market for a decent period of time. However, considering that the self defence licenses given to civilians in India are miniscule, the .22lr bore shall be the most popular.

having said that, I just got reminded of one point - is there any .22lr handgun (pistol or revolver) in the radar of werywin, like the Glock 44 or the CZ Shadow 2 Cadet? I believe similar models will be well liked by the shooting fraternity, who I think shall be the main civilian customers of guns in India.

The model is very good by the looks of it. Sales shall depend on the quality of the weapon and most importantly the price at which it comes, as pointed out by fellow IFGans....

Thanks and regards,
Ritam.

Peacefulguns
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Peacefulguns » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:01 pm

Looks like a good idea. Price will be crucial. Would like to own one.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:19 pm

IMHO, I think it will be more of a headache for the owner due to its appearance in proving its legality then the makers. He/she may eventually succeed in convincing certain authorities but may be often troubled most of the time by different depts while traveling with this rifle. In short, a nuisance for an enthu shooter. It certainly looks mean and menacing which one can't deny and I personally fail to understand its usefulness in any legal shooting sport allowed in our country except for backyard plinking. Our media still cannot fathom the difference between a toy, an air weapon and real weapon which indeed is laughable matter but of a serious concern for the person involved. They conveniently choose not to mention even if the fire arm is legally owned. As for barrel lengths, any rifled long arm, the minimum barrel length is supposed to be 18" and 20" for a smoothbore shotgun if I remember correctly.

Marksman