Regarding Bluing of Brand New Webley and Scott 0.32 Revolver.

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
nk4344
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Regarding Bluing of Brand New Webley and Scott 0.32 Revolver.

Post by nk4344 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:26 pm

Hello Everyone,
Need some expert advice.
I had recently purchased a brand new Webley and Scott 0.32 revolver by SMPl made in INDIA through an official arms dealer in Maharashtra. I haven't been using it and stored it in a safe place. It's been only 1 month since I purchased the brand-new firearm. Now my concern is the bluing of the weapon is vanishing day by day even after not using it and after proper oiling at every seven days. What can be the problem? Should I mail the Webley and Scott INDIA official website or what should be done? The brand new firearm has started looking like an used old firearm.

Thanks and Regards.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Regarding Bluing of Brand New Webley and Scott 0.32 Revolver.

Post by Vineet » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:58 pm

Mailing them won’t help because it’s not possible that you send them the revolver back and they will reblue it.

Only option is to get it reblued from good gunsmith in your state.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

nk4344
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nk4344 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:57 pm

Vineet wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:58 pm
Mailing them won’t help because it’s not possible that you send them the revolver back and they will reblue it.

I tried contacting them from the official webley page they had a quick response and they told me to submit my revolver to the dealer from which it was purchased and let dealer send it to us and we will get back to you with the best possible help as soon as possible.
But anyone knows what exactly the problem could be? As it is a brand new weapon and bluing is vanishing so fastly?

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:05 pm

What is the area validity of your license ? I am guessing that it’s only valid for Maharastra state so how will the dealer send it ?
Last edited by Vineet on Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vineet Armoury

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:31 pm

nk4344 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:57 pm
Vineet wrote:

I tried contacting them from the official webley page they had a quick response and they told me to submit my revolver to the dealer from which it was purchased and let dealer send it to us and we will get back to you with the best possible help as soon as possible.
But anyone knows what exactly the problem could be? As it is a brand new weapon and bluing is vanishing so fastly?
Are you storing it in the holster? Or is it an eggshell foam case? A holster may rub the blueing off, though that shouldn't happen.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:48 pm

Hi nk4344,
What kinda lubricant did you use during storage?
Is it possible to post some pictures to see the damage done ?
best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

nk4344
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nk4344 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:29 pm

Vineet wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:05 pm
What is the area validity of your license ? I am guessing that it’s only valid for Maharastra state so how will the dealer send it ?
I dont know how the dealer will send it or what will he do. I will try to contact him and let you know.

nk4344
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nk4344 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:31 pm

dev wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:31 pm
nk4344 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:57 pm
Vineet wrote:

Are you storing it in the holster? Or is it an eggshell foam case? A holster may rub the blueing off, though that shouldn't happen.
I am storing it in a foam case not a holster. The bluing is peeling off like it was an colour.

nk4344
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nk4344 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:35 pm

The Doc wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:48 pm
Hi nk4344,
What kinda lubricant did you use during storage?
Is it possible to post some pictures to see the damage done ?
best,
Rp.
I used WD40 to clean the barrel. And oiled the entire revolver for 2 times in 3 weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:27 pm

Appears to me to be a hot blue which has come off in areas of friction. Could be because during the hot blueing process some areas were not thoroughly cleaned and degreased. A hot blue is not as durable as the old Rust blueing process.
However, from the pictures, no rebluing needs to be done. The parts where the blueing has come off are marginal. Remember, it is a gun not a display item. All weapons do show some wear with use and handling. Keep it oiled with WD 40 as you are doing and practice with it if you can. Reblueing is a long process and not really needed for a gun in your present condition. You can send it for a reblue if about a quarter of blue is off. Reblueing involves removing the old coating with abrasives so the process takes a toll on the weapon as well. You could get your gun back damaged in some way. 😊
BTW the manufacturing quality of the Webley(From the pictures at least) leaves a lot to be desired. How does it shoot?

amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:57 pm

Agree, just use it and when you are fed up get it reblued by a reputed local gunsmith. That should last for ages.
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------

nk4344
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nk4344 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:39 am

shooter50 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:27 pm
Appears to me to be a hot blue which has come off in areas of friction. Could be because during the hot blueing process some areas were not thoroughly cleaned and degreased. A hot blue is not as durable as the old Rust blueing process.
However, from the pictures, no rebluing needs to be done. The parts where the blueing has come off are marginal. Remember, it is a gun not a display item. All weapons do show some wear with use and handling. Keep it oiled with WD 40 as you are doing and practice with it if you can. Reblueing is a long process and not really needed for a gun in your present condition. You can send it for a reblue if about a quarter of blue is off. Reblueing involves removing the old coating with abrasives so the process takes a toll on the weapon as well. You could get your gun back damaged in some way. 😊
BTW the manufacturing quality of the Webley(From the pictures at least) leaves a lot to be desired. How does it shoot?
Thank you so much for your advise. It shoots perfectly well and i am totally saitisfied with the purchase of this weapon. If the price has to be compared its way better than the IOF weapons and overall you get a webley.

Rajiv Pratap
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rajiv Pratap » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:52 am

mr NK, how much it costs to you?
can you suggest a good dealer in delhi pls.

ashrafi1
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ashrafi1 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:14 pm

Rajiv Pratap wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:52 am
mr NK, how much it costs to you?
can you suggest a good dealer in delhi pls.
I asked one gun smith he told me bluing for my revolver would cost Rs.60000 I felt it's too high,can some one pls throw light on this.

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:09 pm

ashrafi1 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:14 pm
I asked one gun smith he told me bluing for my revolver would cost Rs.60000 I felt it's too high,can some one pls throw light on this.
For 60k you can get second hand .32 revolver in good condition with bluing intact.

In Punjab the price for bluing is around 7k-8k.
Vineet Armoury